5.0 out of 5 stars Living poetry
Published on 7 April 2007 by H. C. Starke

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for beginners
I love Byron Katie and I love the work, and have bought her first two books for many friends, but I wouldnt recommend this to anyone who hasnt been doing the work for a while as I dont think it would be very useful for them. Its very abstract (albeit in a wonderful way) compared to her first books. Maybe I have got this wrong and my feelings say more about the stage that...
Published on 19 Mar. 2007 by A. Gillies

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Living poetry, 7 April 2007
H. C. Starke "Hilary Starke" (Girvan, SW Scotland) - See all my reviews
As an admirer and user of Byron Katie's transformative process of inquiry - and one who thoroughly enjoyed both previous books - Loving What Is, and I Need Your Love - Is that True? - this book builds on her previous work, and expands it lovingly and beautifully. I have just finished reading A Thousand Names for Joy, and look forward very much to reading it again and again. There is so much to enjoy and to ponder. Byron Katie's willingness to share her experiences so openly is both refreshing and reassuring. This book is a joy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A practical, fearless example of a life lived with integrity, 8 Feb. 2007
Readers of Byron Katie's two previous books, "Loving What Is" and "I Need Your Love - Is That True", will delight in this new offering, and it also serves as a fantastic introduction for those who are new to this author. The book contains a few of the powerful and much-loved dialogues between Katie and an enquirer doind the remarkable process Katie calls The Work, but the bulk of the book is in the form of little essays by Katie prompted by quotations from the Tao Te Ching. A combination of beautifully poetic and deeply affecting prose and a multitude of concrete examples from Katie's life provide the reader with amazing evidence of the possibility to live a life of joy and integrity in today's world. I have read it cover to cover and am now looking forward to going back and reading it at a slower pace...it's a treasurehouse of wisdom which I suspect has no end....

Review by BRIAN CORMACK CARR, author of How To Find Your Vital Vocation: A Practical Guide To Discovering Your Career Purpose And Getting A Job You Love

5.0 out of 5 stars So good it's 'Beyond Belief', 18 Nov. 2007
I haven't read the Tao Te Ching or either of Katie's other 2 books, although I have seen videos of her doing 'The Work' on the Net. Having read many books by 'Awakened Beings', Ekhart Tolle, Tony Parsons, Krishnamurti etc. I was unsure what to expect from Katie. Maybe I was finally ready to listen; the honesty, the clarity the radicalness of it connected with something deep inside me.

Quite simply the most beautiful book I have ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a must for everyone, everywhere., 30 Oct. 2007
It's a must for everyone, everywhere, It's is life changing and it's so simple. For anyone new to the Work by Byron Katie the Audio Book Loving What Is, is great, as you will hear Byron atually doing the Work with real people, its amazing, and so too is her second book I need your Love is that True, and this one just pulls it all together. it is a Joy Just buy it Now.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Harsh" But True Words, 8 Oct. 2007
This book has a "harsh" tone for someone unprepared because Byron communicates directly about realities we often avoid discussing such as death, pain, suffering and our fears. Each passage is like a conversational meditation on a passage from the "Tao Te Ching." I found awakenings as I read key parts of this book that were relevant to me. Excerpt 46 on "Fear" was very insightful and I realized that my own belief projected onto others is what frightened me. Excerpt 33 dealt with "Death" and Byron communicates honestly about it. We rarely hear such honesty and it can be disconcerting yet it is part of life and we need to embrace these realities. I recommend this book to readers seeking honest, insightful revelations.

Another book that I highly recommend for a transformative and insightful story is "Nexus: A Neo Novel" by Deborah Morrison and Arvind Singh. This novel examines the ups and downs of spiritual life through the journey of people at a spiritual retreat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bold and uncompromising, 8 April 2012
The Tao Te Ching is such a wonderful text and Stephen Mitchell's translation stands alone without the need for commentary. I had come across Byron Katie previously and not been too interested as I felt her previous works were geared more towards psychology/wellness rather than non-duality/mysticism.

Coming across this in a local bookstore was a welcome surprise. Her inspired responses to verses of the Tao Te Ching make up this book and they are non-traditional, bold and uncompromising. She talks about everyday experiences she has been through together with more extreme ones such as being confronted with a man with a gun. Sure not everything is 100% consistent, but I'm more than happy to forgive this given the directness of her expression. In many ways this book reminds me of Jeff Foster's "Life without a centre"

"The reasons I love rules and plans and religions is that people feel safe in them for a while. And, personally, I don't have any rules. I don't need them. There's a sense of harmony that goes on all the time as things move and change, and I am that harmony, and so are you"

The only reason I've knocked a star off is that upon looking at her website she charges quite a large amount of money for her courses. While there is nothing wrong with this in itself, it doesn't sit completely well with me.

If you are drawn to this then definitely go for it. If you have already read Byron Katie but are not familiar with eastern thought, I suspect this may be a more challenging read. I would encourage you to pick up this book and dive into it - it's well worth the effort and could change your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Free Your Thinking - Free Your Mind, 15 Sept. 2010
I am a Great lover of Byron Katie's Work.
Her book 'Loving What Is' shows a practical way to put The Work into practice. Some people find it a little dry or heavy going. I found it LIBERATING!
This book by contrast, although containing examples of her work with people, is more philosophical. I found it real Fun to read.
If you didn't like other of her books you might enjoy this one.
I didn't agree with everything in it. But somehow I found it gave me permission not to agree.
For me it had the effect of Setting me free.
It's not for everybody but it might just be for you.
Give it a go!

4.0 out of 5 stars A meditation on the Tao Te Ching, 1 July 2011
Dr. H. A. Jones "Howard Jones" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
A Thousand Names for Joy: How to live in harmony with the way things are, by Byron Katie with Stephen Mitchell, Rider (Ebury Press, Random House), 2007, 304 ff.

A meditation on the Tao Te Ching
By Howard Jones

Byron Katie makes no claims to be a mystic or medium. She is an `ordinary' person who was transformed out of a decade of depression by an epiphany of self-discovery: that it was useless to agonize over what the world was doing or had done to her - things that she couldn't change - but rather she needed to focus on how to come to terms with the world as it was and how she could live in it. Basically, this philosophy is very much in harmony with that of eastern religious mysticism, so it's entirely appropriate that she should explore the meaning of the Tao Te Ching, the principal scripture of Taoism that emerged from the school of Lao Tzu, probably in the 6th century BCE.

The format of this book is that it comprises 81 fairly short chapters (some only a page in length), each corresponding to the respective verses of the Tao. The translation is by Katie's husband and collaborator, Stephen Mitchell, who has also written an extended interpretation of the Tao of his own. As we might expect, the presentation is essentially autobiographical, but the wisdom sayings are presented in a style that would be applicable to any readers.

There are so many translations and interpretations of the Tao Te Ching in English. Including this book I have seven on my bookshelves. But the translations are so varied that it is also a very personal matter as to which you, as reader, will resonate with. My personal favourite is the translation by Ralph Alan Dale published in 2002 by Watkins and beautifully illustrated. It also has the original Chinese text for those who can read it. Put this is not to suggest any shortcoming of the other versions.

If you know anything about Katie's counselling in The Work, then clearly this a book for you. If this does not appeal to you, there are plenty of other choices. But whichever you choose, the message is essentially the same: to accept whatever life has to offer; to look always for the best in any person and life situation, even those that present difficulties, challenges and unhappiness in the short term; to take time out from our pressured life-styles for quiet reflection and meditation; to be always aware that there is an overriding spirituality that interacts with us in every moment of our being, a spirituality that we enhance or undermine by our thoughts and actions.

Dr Howard A. Jones is the author of The Thoughtful Guide to God (2006) and The Tao of Holism (2008), both published by O Books of Winchester, U.K.; and The World as Spirit published by Fairhill Publishing, Whitland, West Wales, 2011.

Change Your Thoughts - Change Your Life: Living The Wisdom Of The Tao
Tao Te Ching: A New Translation and Commentary

4.0 out of 5 stars Design for Life, 9 Nov. 2010
kiki (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
Wow...what a lady and what an inspiring book for people looking for a recipe to be more positive and uplifted in their every day life. The attitude and mind set Byron proffers really makes you realise what a special lady she is and what a difference we can make to our lives through our thinking. I've already bought a 2nd copy for a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving Sanity, Living Reality, 10 Jan. 2012
Byron Katie and Stephen Mitchell combine to offer us the wisdom of the Tao Te Ching and the living reality of the teachings. From the author of the national bestseller, "Loving What Is," Katie points the way to loving sanity, so that we may live in harmony and realize ever present peace.

As she shares the manner in which she encounters the world of form, we sense the depth of unconditional love through her passionate embrace of each and every moment. This is someone who has escaped the madness of conditioned thought and judgment by fearlessly loving life just the way that it is. Her pathway is simple, pragmatic and powerful. The result? Freedom from suffering and a thousand names for joy.

Katie Davis, Author, "Awake Joy"

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›