5.0 out of 5 stars Witty and enjoyable chick lit
Published on 11 Oct 2006 by A Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Better then I expected and quite good fun but still not great
I was given this book with a few other chick lit type books and had fairly low expectations of it when I read it. However, I liked the story and thought that it could be believeable.
To my surprise i found myself liking Samantha, although I wasn't convinced that she was a top lawyer
There were a few details which were badly dealt with which kept annoying me...
Published on 24 Mar 2008 by Janie U

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty and enjoyable chick lit, 11 Oct 2006
This review is from: The Undomestic Goddess (Paperback)
I have read and enjoyed every single one of Sophie Kinsella's books and this one was no exception. The story revolves around an intelligent woman who has a high powered career but after making one mistake has to hide away from her old life and finds herself as the new housekeeper for a couple who live in a big house in the country. This would be fine but as Samantha is in no way, shape or form domestic, there are some hilarious scenes in the book where she has to learn the hard way how to run a big house and not be discovered for being a fake in the first place. As Samantha comes to terms with everything she now has to face, she learns to slow down her life in the process. I loved the book, its an easy read but the characters are likeable and the plot moves along at a good pace and although some of it is a little predictable, its still a great read and roll on Sophie's next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kinsella Does It Again!!!, 6 Jun 2005
This review is from: The Undomestic Goddess (Hardcover)
I've been a massive fan of all four Sophie Kinsella books that have been published before this one, they've all been funny and well-written, easy to read and occasionally quite touching in places. The 'Shopaholic...' series is one I like to revisit quite often, and I enjoyed 'Do You Want to Know a Secret?', but 'The Undomestic Goddess' is now my favourite Kinsella book!
It's not as lighthearted as the other books, but it still manages to be funny. Sam's character is very different from Becky Bloomwood et al, she's a high-flying lawyer who's totally career focussed...at first! The story of her transformation is brilliantly entertaining, if a little unbelieveable, and I was really rooting for her all the way through the book.
The ending is a brave attempt at a 'will she, won't she?' for many aspect's of Sam's life, but I found it to drag a little too much before the conclusion (a tiny bit of a cliche, unfortunately) is reached. Sam's love interest, Nathaniel, is a little two-dimensional, and while likeable, I feel that so much more could have been done with his character.
If you've read and liked any of Sophie Kinsella's books before, I can guarantee that you will enjoy this one. Minor faults aside, this is a great holiday read and I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Undomestic Goddess - Great read!, 2 Jun 2006
This review is from: The Undomestic Goddess (Paperback)
I really need to be hooked in to a book in the first few pages otherwise I give up and don't read it. This book is wonderful! You relate to the character from the first page and want to read it all in one go!

Fun and frivelous!

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful read, 20 Aug 2005
This review is from: The Undomestic Goddess (Hardcover)
Well done Sophie Kinsella, this book is fantastic it made me laugh out loud. It was an easy read book and you can relate to the character just like we all related to becky bloomwood! Cant wait for sophie kinselas next novel no doubt will be just as good as the rest.

4.0 out of 5 stars funny, clever and a good read, 24 April 2006
A. Craig "Amanda Craig" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Undomestic Goddess (Paperback)
I picked this up on holiday and thought, hmm, I'll just read a few pages then found myself staying up til past midnight I was laughing so much. Kinsella has picked a great subject - young women who work so hard at being super-achievers they forget how to live. Sam is a high-flying City lawyer who is about to make partner - only at the 11th hour, she realises she hasn't passed on some crucial piece of paperwork. It's the last straw. She leaves the office without going to her champagne recpetion, and boards the next train, which deposits her in Gloucestershire (I think - somewhere beautiful and rural, anyway.) Here, she sleepwalks her way into a job as housekeeper for a couple who are almost as clueless as she is about how to hoover, iron and cook. Sam's desperate attempts to pretend she is on top of her new job ivolve spending hundreds of pounds having sandwiches delivered, new cashmere jumpers from Harrods etc - until salvation arrives in the form of a handsome gardener and his mother....

What is so charming isn't the outcome but how the story is told. Kinsella is as smart as paint, and I bet can whip up a souffle herself in no time, but she's so right about domestic skills vs career. All women come to juggle with this, and the fantasy of being able to give it all up is to the Noughties what having a high-powered New York job was to the 1980s. Though I don't believe for a mometn that Sam, when vindicated, wouldn;'t have received a huge golden goodbye from her firm, it's a timely fairytale. My 13-year-old, who hates any form of housework and steadfastly refuses to learn how to do more than make pancakes loved it too, by the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Novel, 15 Jan 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: The Undomestic Goddess (Paperback)
Built within the wonderful romance is a funny,funny novel filled with page turning enjoyment. Sophia Kinsella is remarkable at telling a story. If you have not read 'Fire In The Ice' yet, I would strongly recommend this book as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars a goddess of a book, 15 Mar 2006
This review is from: The Undomestic Goddess (Paperback)
This author does it again with another absolutely endearing tale of a girl who found ‘her life’ in an unexpected twist of events. This book unfolds beautifully with twists and turns along the way and it captures the true feelings of the protagonist, in what can only be described as a perfect way. Sophie Kinsella is phenomenal as taking the reader on a journey in this book, from high to low, low to high and we experience the emotions with the character through her incredible writing.
I was delighted to see Kinsella back in the limelight following her fantastic and compelling series of Shopaholic books. This latest instalment was not only a fabulous read but also it really draws on the human emotion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 11 Oct 2006
This review is from: The Undomestic Goddess (Paperback)
Fantastic, fantastic, fantastic. I bought this book to read on a flight from the UK to Australia and it had me laughing so loud I was quite an embarrassment! I'm not a 'chick lit' kind of girl but this was a real exception. As an author myself I really admire the talent it takes to write a book where almost every line makes you smile or laugh. Pure escapism, very charming and such good fun, and somehow it also manages to be a book which makes you take stock of what really counts in life. This should be compulsory reading for every workaholic - and certainly every lawyer. In fact I'm going to order a copy for a lawyer who's a close friend right now. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 21 Sep 2005
This review is from: The Undomestic Goddess (Hardcover)
I should have learnt by now to always take more than one of Sophie Kinsellas books with me on holiday, unfortunately I think I have read them all and am now waiting in great anticipation for the next one!. If you love the 'Shopaholic' books then you will love this aswell. I read it in less than three days on the beach! WIthin the first few lines I was hooked. The story is about a 28 year old Lawyer who sleep, eats and breaths her job and is eager to become partner. However one little slip up leaves her out of her job and her bubble of despair ends up in the country blagging her way as a housekeeper. The only problem is she cannot even make a cup of tea let alone keep a house!! It is hilarious, the love affair keeps you gripped and jsut a general joy to read. Again I am left waiting for the next book, I hope there is a follow up on this book and the shopoholic!
Brilliant Read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read - Unputtdownable, 19 May 2006
This review is from: The Undomestic Goddess (Paperback)
This was first encounter of any of Sophie Kinsella's books, but it will not be my last. This was a really funny read. Got it on Sunday and had finished it by Thursday! Didn't get much housework done myself that week.

I would thoroughly recommend this.

The Undomestic Goddess