5.0 out of 5 stars Witty and enjoyable chick lit
Published on 11 Oct 2006 by A Reader

I was given this book with a few other chick lit type books and had fairly low expectations of it when I read it. However, I liked the story and thought that it could be believeable.
To my surprise i found myself liking Samantha, although I wasn't convinced that she was a top lawyer
There were a few details which were badly dealt with which kept annoying me...
Published on 24 Mar 2008 by Janie U

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty and enjoyable chick lit, 11 Oct 2006
This review is from: The Undomestic Goddess (Paperback)
I have read and enjoyed every single one of Sophie Kinsella's books and this one was no exception. The story revolves around an intelligent woman who has a high powered career but after making one mistake has to hide away from her old life and finds herself as the new housekeeper for a couple who live in a big house in the country. This would be fine but as Samantha is in no way, shape or form domestic, there are some hilarious scenes in the book where she has to learn the hard way how to run a big house and not be discovered for being a fake in the first place. As Samantha comes to terms with everything she now has to face, she learns to slow down her life in the process. I loved the book, its an easy read but the characters are likeable and the plot moves along at a good pace and although some of it is a little predictable, its still a great read and roll on Sophie's next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kinsella Does It Again!!!, 6 Jun 2005
This review is from: The Undomestic Goddess (Hardcover)
I've been a massive fan of all four Sophie Kinsella books that have been published before this one, they've all been funny and well-written, easy to read and occasionally quite touching in places. The 'Shopaholic...' series is one I like to revisit quite often, and I enjoyed 'Do You Want to Know a Secret?', but 'The Undomestic Goddess' is now my favourite Kinsella book!
It's not as lighthearted as the other books, but it still manages to be funny. Sam's character is very different from Becky Bloomwood et al, she's a high-flying lawyer who's totally career focussed...at first! The story of her transformation is brilliantly entertaining, if a little unbelieveable, and I was really rooting for her all the way through the book.
The ending is a brave attempt at a 'will she, won't she?' for many aspect's of Sam's life, but I found it to drag a little too much before the conclusion (a tiny bit of a cliche, unfortunately) is reached. Sam's love interest, Nathaniel, is a little two-dimensional, and while likeable, I feel that so much more could have been done with his character.
If you've read and liked any of Sophie Kinsella's books before, I can guarantee that you will enjoy this one. Minor faults aside, this is a great holiday read and I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Undomestic Goddess - Great read!, 2 Jun 2006
This review is from: The Undomestic Goddess (Paperback)
I really need to be hooked in to a book in the first few pages otherwise I give up and don't read it. This book is wonderful! You relate to the character from the first page and want to read it all in one go!

Fun and frivelous!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Novel, 15 Jan 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: The Undomestic Goddess (Paperback)
Built within the wonderful romance is a funny,funny novel filled with page turning enjoyment. Sophia Kinsella is remarkable at telling a story. If you have not read 'Fire In The Ice' yet, I would strongly recommend this book as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful read, 20 Aug 2005
This review is from: The Undomestic Goddess (Hardcover)
Well done Sophie Kinsella, this book is fantastic it made me laugh out loud. It was an easy read book and you can relate to the character just like we all related to becky bloomwood! Cant wait for sophie kinselas next novel no doubt will be just as good as the rest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read - Unputtdownable, 19 May 2006
This review is from: The Undomestic Goddess (Paperback)
This was first encounter of any of Sophie Kinsella's books, but it will not be my last. This was a really funny read. Got it on Sunday and had finished it by Thursday! Didn't get much housework done myself that week.

I would thoroughly recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 11 Oct 2006
This review is from: The Undomestic Goddess (Paperback)
Fantastic, fantastic, fantastic. I bought this book to read on a flight from the UK to Australia and it had me laughing so loud I was quite an embarrassment! I'm not a 'chick lit' kind of girl but this was a real exception. As an author myself I really admire the talent it takes to write a book where almost every line makes you smile or laugh. Pure escapism, very charming and such good fun, and somehow it also manages to be a book which makes you take stock of what really counts in life. This should be compulsory reading for every workaholic - and certainly every lawyer. In fact I'm going to order a copy for a lawyer who's a close friend right now. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down......so I didn't !!, 15 Sep 2006
G. Robinson (Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Undomestic Goddess (Hardcover)
I had become a bit tired of the Shopaholic stories and had enjoyed 'can you keep a secret' so much I had to get this book. Well it was so good I couldn't put it down and read it in two sittings - only stopping to sleep in between. A bit far fetched maybe but so amusing I was laughing out loud all the way through. A great book to escape your own life. Perfect for a holiday read.

5.0 out of 5 stars a goddess of a book, 15 Mar 2006
This review is from: The Undomestic Goddess (Paperback)
This author does it again with another absolutely endearing tale of a girl who found ‘her life’ in an unexpected twist of events. This book unfolds beautifully with twists and turns along the way and it captures the true feelings of the protagonist, in what can only be described as a perfect way. Sophie Kinsella is phenomenal as taking the reader on a journey in this book, from high to low, low to high and we experience the emotions with the character through her incredible writing.
I was delighted to see Kinsella back in the limelight following her fantastic and compelling series of Shopaholic books. This latest instalment was not only a fabulous read but also it really draws on the human emotion.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better then I expected and quite good fun but still not great, 24 Mar 2008
Janie U (Kings Cliffe, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Undomestic Goddess (Paperback)
There were a few details which were badly dealt with which kept annoying me throughout the story - run off to the country fine - leave your flat fine - but it didn't feel right that she didn't go and get anything from the flat at all - not just no clothes but nothing.
I felt that the ending was completely predictable but i guess it had to be - Easy way to pass the time of day.

The Undomestic Goddess