5.0 out of 5 stars Just when you thought it was safe to go shopping!
I have to say these books are my favourite all time reads, they are so unbelievable that you have to love them!
Published on 13 Jun. 2004 by Claire, Lulu

2.0 out of 5 stars annoying but funny
Published on 18 Mar. 2005 by Lise Jepsen

5.0 out of 5 stars Just when you thought it was safe to go shopping!, 13 Jun. 2004
Claire, Lulu "Lulu" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Shopaholic and Sister (Hardcover)
Becky Bloomwood/Brandon is back, now married for nearly a year to the sensible business man Luke (Mr Forgiving) Brandon. She is still up to her old tricks in this one buying things as usual that the rest of the sane planet would probably not dream of buying for her reasons.
only this time as the title suggests, Becky finds she has a sister - long and definately lost.
Instantly she dreams of having the sisterly love and dreaming of going shopping and sharing cappucinos and gossip.
We follow Becky from her honeymoon to her life back home and her ever long dreams and fantasies of her sister.
This book is hilarious, if you have read the other three then this one is definately worth reading and certainly for the last page! If you havent read the other three, read them first!
excellent a bug HUGE thumbs up and recommendation for this book! dont wait for paperback buy it NOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank God for Sophie Kinsella!!!, 7 July 2004
Jennifer Gow (Halifax, Nova Scotia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shopaholic and Sister (Hardcover)
I was so sad when I finished "Shopaholic Ties the Knot," thinking that I'd never get to read about Becky again. I was SO surprised and happy to learn that Kinsella had written a 4th book, so instead of waiting for it to become available in Canada (who knows how long that's supposed to take???), I ordered my first Amazon UK book. As the other books, "Shopaholic and Sister" was such a light, funny, and all-round fantastic read! A lot of people are complaining that Becky comes across as too ridiculous and annoying in this book, but I have to disagree. It's all just too funny! These books are like drugs. They're an escape from the real world, and I hope so much that Kinsella decides to write a 5th. I will definitely order "Shopaholic and Baby" from Amazon UK, too, because I just won't be able to wait!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars comical and cringeworthy, 1 May 2006
N. K. green (crawley, west sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
light hearted, funny and easy read. if you want a comical read and to cringe on every other page this ones for you! and if like most women you find it hard to walk away from a bargain you'll beable to sypathise with Becky and the situations she finds herself in! couldnt put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hillarious, 24 Dec. 2005
O. Doyle "celticshedevil" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
Shopaholic & Sister is the latest in the Shopaholic series and it’s another sure-fire winner. Personally I’ve found that when you read a series of book such as this they start to weaken. The Shopaholic series isn’t at all like that. They continue to be just as funny as the first one.
Shopaholic & Sister opens with Becky & Luke on their honeymoon round the world trip. Finally growing tired of traveling after 10mths they decide to go home early. But not everyone is excited that they’re home. Not least Becky’s parents who have the unenviable task of telling Becky that she has a long lost sister she never knew about. Becky being Becky sees hours of girly hours and shopping with her sister ahead of her. But as is usually with real life…..things don’t go according to plan.
As with other Shopaholic books this one will have you laughing and cringing from page one. It’s funny, light-hearted and a great feel-good book. You can’t help but love Becky and you also can’t help but chuckle at the antics she gets up to.

2.0 out of 5 stars annoying but funny, 18 Mar. 2005
Lise Jepsen "jeppelepsen" (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
I loved The secret dreamworld, liked Abroad, laughed at ties the knot, but with this forth book I finnaly got enough of Becky Brandon (nee Bloomwood)... I simply can't take her naivity and stupidity any longer. Not that all Chick-lit should have clever and brave protagonists, it's alright to be a little dim. But sometimes it is just too much. Way too much. I got so annoyed at BB at times. I found it unbelieveable how she actually got herself into all those embarrassing situations. I almost yelled at the pages: "Come on, it can't be that hard to just confess that you made at mistake!" I simply can't grasp how Luke can stand that horrible woman.
Enough is enough. But sadly I sense there is a "Shopaholic and baby" on it's way. I wonder if Becky finally grows up?

4.0 out of 5 stars yay!, 29 May 2004
Ami M (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shopaholic and Sister (Hardcover)
I really enjoy reading the "shopaholic" series and it is just too funny, Shopaholic and Sister is no different. It's full of laughs and also a few sad bits too. And all along the way you are swept along with Becky in her journey. You can laugh at her outrageousness of spending, but we all know that there's someone like that in us somewhere. This book is funny and exactly like becky. It's not heavy, but light hearted fun which will have you into becky's world in no time. This is a really good book and I really recommend it to those who already read the shopaholic books and also those looking for something funny to read. fantastic

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming, Amusing and Joyful, 19 July 2014
This review is from: Shopaholic & Sister: (Shopaholic Book 4) (Shopaholic series) (Kindle Edition)
Having gotten married in the last book, Becky and Luke are getting settled into married life. Having spent the last 10 months on a extended honeymoon, Becky and Luke have seen a lot of places and Becky has purchased a lot of great items, she doesn't know where she will store it but she couldn't help herself.

Though being gone for so long, things have changed back home. Her family seems to have added a new member, her best friend Suze has had two twin babies and they are all not very happy about them being back. With her new sister, Jessica in the picture, one from a previous relationship of her father's, things are changing and there is the small problem with Jessica not liking Becky one bit as well to complicated matters.

Her best friend, Suze isn't much of a help either, with her two new babies she has gained a new best friend to takes a quick disliking to Becky as soon as she arrives back. Though Becky is determined to push everything aside and try to build a relationship with her new found sister, even if it means travelling to where Jessica lives to help form a bond as sisters.

Things quickly take a turn for the worse when Becky overhears something Luke has said, so she decides to become a better and more thrifty person like Jessica. Though after finding out that Jessica has gone on a climb up a mountain, Becky decides to go and find her, only injuring herself in the process. Then again, injuring herself wasn't so bad, she got to spent time with her new sister and deal with some issues at the same time. Things seem to be going well, her and Jessica are finally on their way to becoming the best sisters they can be, Suze is starting to act more like Becky's best friend again and Luke explains what he really meant when Becky overheard him talking.

Shopaholic & Sister is another great instalment in the Shopaholic Series, that adds laughter and happiness into some really normal situations. With it's characters both old and new it makes it a great book, about family, friends, sisters and how to not overreact at small things.

If I had to sum this book up in three words, they would be Charming, Amusing and Joyful.

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves shopping, hilarious moments or the bond that sisters share even if you have two different personalities. Or any siblings for that matter.

My favourite quote from Shopaholic & Sister was:-

“Me too." I agree fervently. "Every film should definitely have a message."

Which is true. I mean... take the Lord of the Rings movies- they've got loads of messages. Like "Don't lose your ring.”

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as fun or fluffy as the others., 28 April 2012
H. Whitehead (England) - See all my reviews
So I'm not a huge chick-lit fan, but I do have particular authors whose work I know I'm going to love. Sophie Kinsella is definitely one of these, if not the highest ranking on my personal scale of Awesome. I haven't read a single book of hers I didn't immediately love - I've read all the Shopaholic books up to this one and Can You Keep A Secret? was the story that got me reading chick-lit in the first place. That said, I have to admit I didn't like Shopaholic & Sister quite as much as the others, although the light and fun tone this series is famous for is still intact.

So Becky Bloomwood can be a bit of an annoying character occasionally- she makes stupid decisions, gets herself into scrapes and then never owns up until it's too late. She's loveable (and I do sympathise with her faults more than I'd like to admit), but most of her troubles are down to her own lack of judgement. Not so in Shopaholic & Sister though, or not completely at any rate. That's not to say Becky isn't her usual spending self - she is. It's just not really the focus of the novel.

See, all her close relationships - her husband, her sister, her best friend and her boyfriend are all absolutely horrible to her in this book, for no apparent reason. It actually crossed the line into downright depressing. I mean, I know it's a chick-lit book so chances were always that it'd all be resolved into fairy dust at the end, but it genuinely made me sad while I was reading. I can't help but think it could have been toned down a little.

I think that, for me, the problem wasn't that Becky's sister didn't like shopping. The problem was that Becky's sister was an irritating, judgemental bitch. I wanted to smack her a good few times myself, and I wasn't the one trying to befriend her! It just didn't seem realistic that Becky would keep trying to reconcile, even though Jess shunned her more more than once. I just wanted her to get a backbone.

The ending is actually very good. Slightly over-dramatic and unrealistic (not to mention twee), but it successfully dispelled the dark cloud hovering over my head from the rest of the book.A true chick-lit ending - fluffy and happy-making!

I have to give a nod to Sophie Kinsella for this one - it must be difficult coming up with so many different premises for the Shopaholic books. It's such a simple concept that I'm amazed her books haven't just become the same thing over and over again. I know I've complained about how depressing this book is, but I enjoyed it nevertheless. Like I said before, I've never read book by this author I didn't like. They're just so fun and easy to read (bouts of depression aside).

4.0 out of 5 stars Becky gets a long overdue verbal slap, 25 Jan. 2005
Mr. Joe (Glendale, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Shopaholic and Sister (Hardcover)
Fans of the Shopaholic series featuring the engaging yet exasperating Rebecca Bloomwood may savor the following rebuke delivered to her face by her ... sister?:
"You're spoiled! ... Your whole life makes me sick. ... You're shallow and materialistic, and I've never met anyone so obsessed with their own appearance and shopping."
In SHOPAHOLIC AND SISTER, the fourth book of the series by Sophie Kinsella, Becky is now Rebecca Brandon, wife of successful Luke Brandon, head of his own public relations firm. Just back from their 1-year, around-the-world honeymoon, during which Becky purchased more stuff than even Luke suspects until it's delivered to their London flat in two large lorries, Becky discovers that she has a sister. Half-sister, actually - her father's daughter, Jessica Bertram, conceived with a stewardess employed on the London to Carlisle train before he met Becky's Mum. Becky is thrilled; they can go shopping together, as well as do each other's nails. But to Becky's horror and despair, Jess is cut from different cloth; she's frugal to a fault, e.g. she reuses coffee grounds and makes kitchen scourers out of old onion bags, and carries a week's change of clothes in a brown rucksack. And she loathes to shop.
SHOPAHOLIC AND SISTER is perhaps not as lighthearted throughout as the previous three. Through several chapters, Becky is bleakly despondent over what she perceives as a marriage on the rocks and failure to bond with Jess. But Becky's strongpoint has always been her resilience. Upon waking from unconsciousness after falling off a mountain ledge, she can observe the need for a manicure by the person waving a hand in front of her face asking, "How many fingers?"
As much as the reader of the series might want to shout at Becky the reproach heading this review, the woman is unfailingly good-hearted and generous, and you just want to hug her - or shake her until her teeth rattle. Becky is one of the most winning heroines of trashy literature. By the end of the book, it's obvious where the author is going with the next installment. Keep 'em coming, Sophie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Becky rules!, 12 July 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Shopaholic and Sister (Hardcover)
I love all Sophie Kinsella's books and Shopaholic and sister didn't disappoint although admittedly I kind of preferred Can you Keep a secret? which was one of the funniest books I ever read. HOwever I hope Shopaholic and Baby isn't next because I'd hate any child to have such an irresponsible mother! God forbid but imagine Becky buying a new designer scarf with baby's food allowance???Kinsella is up there with the best and gives top comedy writers Marian Keyes, Marisa Mackle and Isabel Wolff a run for their money.