Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 16 May 2006
The second in the series and another fantastic book!! This novel, like its predecessor, has a very well written and thought provoking storyline. It is full of fast-paced action,and plenty of thrills and spills that keep the story rolling along at breakneck speed, and the reader unable to put the book down. (Give yourself plenty of time to read this, it's not a long novel, but you won't want to stop once you start!). It's a must that you read 'Boy Soldier' first as the characters and relationships are 'set-out' in this, and are developed further in 'Payback'. The end of each book, leaves you eager for the next installment and to sum it up, it just keeps getting better and better!!! Thank you to messers McNab and Rigby!!
on 16 July 2006
an amazing read and follows on from boy soldier with thr greatest of ease, i just could,t wait to start to read the next book.
on 3 November 2005
Payback has more than lived up to the promise of Boy Soldier(the first novel in the series) - the dramatic story of Fergus and Danny's fight to clear Fergus's name begun in Boy Soldier comes to a spectacular, completely unpredictable climax in Payback (which is my only criticism - why must it be over so soon?!).
Payback is completely absorbing - the thrilling action scenes and plot twists are artfully balanced with both comic and more reflective moments, due to the greater emotional maturity and closeness of the main characters. Do read it, especially if this isn't the sort of book you'd usually pick up - when I first read Boy Soldier I didn't expect to love it, but I've now read it three times and can't wait for Avenger, the third book of the series!
on 3 December 2005
Just to comment on what other people have said about this not being a childrens book, i think it can be according to the child. My son is 12 and a true mcnab fan, i'm quite happy about it because most childrens books don't give the stimulation and adventure he needs, as for the swearing they hear must worse in most schools.
on 3 November 2005
I read the first "boy soldier" book in 4 days and thought it a good read. iv got all of his books so far and found each one a good read. The boy soldier books are begining to settle into a good story, PAYBACK is a fast paced story which brings danny and fergus back to the uk to clear furgus's name as a "K". There is alot of swearing in the book which i was surprised at, this being a childrens book. I think the hard line storys that andy mcnab gives us were starting to creep into this book, but over all it was a good read. And im looking forward to reading the next part of this gripping story line.
on 20 December 2009
Unfortunately I don't have any teenagers to buy for anymore just me - and I bought the whole series not really sure how "suitable for a 47 year old" they were going to be. Well let me tell you the older you are the more you can appreciate them - not just because they are SO well written with beautiful and sensitive teenage interaction which is not between the sheets or even getting close to it, but the actual story content and the SAS lingo sits in my brain very comfortably as well. I love all Andy McNabb and have read them all (barr the not yet published HB)but have no experience of Robert Rigby - well he gets the stars too because he is excellent. Book 2 carries on with the same main characters but now really starts to show its class.

I'd love to see these 4 books made into 2 films they would be so fast paced and actually would be real family watching (well family over 12 anyway)that you could guarantee would ignite and thrill. I'd gladly help anyone with the casting if they had a problem as I know who I would be looking to put into these roles and they'd be a huge hit both sides of the Atlantic.

I was quite ill when I read these. I read 3 in one day and set myself back because I wanted to read them all. As it was I just could not put them down and time just stood still. Meltdown (no 4 and sadly the last of the series) was just almost beyond words it was soo good.

I just wonder if the reason these have come to an end is because Nick Stone cant go on forever and Danny Watts will be taking his place????? If so you can guarantee they'll just keep coming and just get better and better.
on 23 March 2008
In the sequel to Boy Solider, Danny and his grandfather are still on the run and as he enemies draw in, they find their answers may lie in London and as the mystery gets deeper so do the pair as they are caught in even more danger.

Payback is just as stimulating and tense as Andy McNab's previous novel Boy Solider with energy and action around every corner as he brings his military days to this exciting adventure.

McNab again uses very technical terms for procedures for his central characters and situations, which makes the plot more interesting.

This book is more character driven than Boy Solider, which I believe is a good thing as we can feel what the characters are going through. I'm glad to say that Elena features more in this book because I think her character and personality are great to the storyline.

There is slightly more action than the previous book and a more in depth look at situations to.

Sometimes I felt as though some of the scenes and situations were repetitive but regardless it is a great thriller, justifies the genre well and the whole series is still worth reading.
on 13 July 2011
Gret book, I loved reading it and the whole series is great, if you like this book then read others as Andy McNab has written many which are all great! The rest of the series is very entertaining but I recommend only to be read by young adults even though I am only 13 and I thoroughly enjoyed it!
VINE VOICEon 22 March 2007
Great read. No 2 in the boy soldier series, and a very promising series it is too. Great not just for the teens, but also for the adult reader.

Highly recommended, really brilliant.
on 26 November 2005
A good follow on from Boy Soldier. Typical of McNab's writing style, this book has you wanting to keep turning the pages. Slightly disappointed at the shortness of the book. I felt that the plot could have been developed a bit more and the ending was a bit abrupt. But apart from that a good read and worth the money!