5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Timeless
Published on 18 May 2004 by Nadine Goodinson

1.0 out of 5 stars Carefully formatted? don't you believe it
You don't have to be Lynne Truss to get annoyed by the use of double quotes instead of apostrophes, words that run together, etc. For something that claims to be carefully formatted, they didn't spend much time proof-reading this is all I can say. (The mis-formatting shows up on both the Kindle and on the Windows Kindle reader, so it's not just a device-specific...
Published on 4 July 2011 by John Brooke

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Timeless, 18 May 2004
It seems that human nature hasn't changed much since Victorian times! This collection of anecdotes, observations and witticisms is a true classic, completely unaffected by the passage of time. The author's understated, self-deprecating style of humour had me roaring with laughter virtually from the first page, and even now - a week after finishing it - I still find myself chuckling at odd moments when I remember certain turns of phrase.
I was put off reading it for a long time because for some reason I had got it into my head that it was a rather heavy-going political satire. I don't know where I got that idea from, but I couldn't have been more wrong. It's a gentle, easy read. Not much plot to speak of - just the tale of three friends (and a dog) taking a boating trip up the Thames. Full of mishaps, humourous reminiscences and spot-on comments about the ridiculousness of human behaviour, it makes ideal back-garden reading for the summer.
Highly recommended. If you've never read a classic and want an easy one to start with - this is it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The funniest ever in English!, 17 Oct 2004
John Nevill "jnev52" (Liverpool UK) - See all my reviews
I first picked this up at age of about 11, from the bookshelf in a guesthouse where I was staying for a few nights with my parents. I was in a room by myself, and apart from a couple of shouted requests to shut up, was left to hold my sides and laugh as quietly as possible.
I'm now 52, and have a wonderful original copy which I have read time and again, and still get requests from my fiancee to shut up and stop laughing.
It doesn't matter how many times you read it. This is quite simply the funniest book ever written in the English language. Yes, it's based in an age long gone; but it's great to know that self-effacing, typical British humour hasn't changed one iota.
Any Englishman who hasn't read this is the poorer for it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The funniest book ever!!, 9 April 2001
I picked up an old war time copy of the book. It had been lurking at the back of my bookcase for as long as I can remember, but I felt like reading something clean and amusing. What a great choice! I think this must be the funniest book I have ever read. The tears ran down my face. I laughed out loud in public places. I could not believe it had been written in the 19th century, the humour seemed so fresh and relevant. If you want just a rollicking good laugh on every page, with the funniest images flicking through your brain, I would recommend this book as one of the most enjoyable I've ever read. Now I am going to get a new copy of it. Every page of my war time copy (made within economical rationing guidelines), fell out as I read it. I think it must have belonged to my grandmother.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Funniest Book Ever Written, 28 Aug 2005
Mrs. Tracy Stanton "Tracy Stanton" (St Ives, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I first came across this in the school library when I was 12 (35 years ago!) I have read it and re-read it again and again. In a desert-island-disks type moment I chose it as one of my quintessentially English books to take with me when I went to live in the USA for a year. I cannot read it in public - or in the presence of my wife due to the unstoppable sniggering that it induces in me (and the rolling eyes this induces in her!). I love the 'Maze' scene and am laughing now just thinking about it. The hypochondria opening is a classic moment too (Housemaid's knee!)
Please read it - yes it's Victorian humour, but it's STILL funny today.
I was devastated when I found it was number 101 in BBC's 'Good Read' 100 favourite books ever list a couple of years ago - Shame on the BBC!

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable classic, 23 May 2009
Mr. P. Harvey "Phil" (Cornwall, UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
My first recollection of encountering this classic maritime adventure, written by Jerome K Jerome, was in the 70s when I attended a one-man show in which Jeremy Nicholas recounted the story of three men and a dog and their trip up the River Thames. In true tradition the tale was recited, not without error, to a large audience in a comedic style that reminded me of PG Wodehouse, another of my literary heroes.

Jeremy Nicholas's career has been based almost entirely on this one author and he went on to become the President of the Jerome K Jerome Society. I never forgot that performance and it gave me a taste for Jerome K Jerome and his stories.

It was not until three decades later that I encountered this unabridged rendition of this classic story by Martin Jarvis whose name will be instantly familiar to listeners of the 'Just William' and 'Jeeves and Wooster' audiobooks. Martin's comic delivery, animated style and energetic story-telling ability is strongly reminiscent of that of Jeremy Nicholas and for this reason I can heartily recommend this recording.

This recording is, of course, the unabridged version which I much prefer. However, to tell this tale requires 6 CDs and over six-and-a-half hours of listening time. It may be long but it is never boring. It is a complex and steadily evolving adventure story about a boat trip up part of the River Thames. For the most part it is full of humour but it does have its darker moments.

The recording is supplied with a small, 12-page booklet that describes the content of each of the six CDs and also contains a mini biography of Jerome K Jerome and how he came to write Three Men in a Boat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ah, the simple pleasures ..., 2 Jan 2006
Sally-Anne "mynameissally" (Leicestershire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Three Men in a Boat (Audio CD)
It's a wonderful book. Harmless escapism and lashings of good humour. What could be more pleasant? It's one of my favourite reads. Three men, one dog and a row boat - sometimes lazily and sometimes energetically pulling up the River Thames, having endless adventures, calamities and runs-in with the consequences of "Murphy's law". I wondered if I would enjoy listening to it as much as I enjoyed reading it and I'm delighted to report that Hugh Laurie has done an excellent job of this abridged reading . It's not surprising really. His television interpretation of Bertie Wooster is spot on for that character, and the character of J. (the author/narrator, Jerome K Jerome) in this tale, is so similar in many ways to Bertie - in attitude, speech mannerisms etc - that Mr Laurie seems just perfect for the role. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to all the outrageous exaggerations, boasts and scenic descriptions, read in exactly the voice I imagine J. would have. I've listened to it twice so far and will, no doubt, listen to it whenever I need to be cheered up.
There are 2 CDs in the box and the running time is two and a half hours.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightfully Funny, 24 Aug 2001
By A Customer
If this book proves one thing, it is that good humour is ageless. Jerome K Jerome shows his mastery of wit and words in this hilarious tale of three batchelors on an eventful boat trip. There is a great depth to the modes of humour, which keep the reader chuckling from page to page. It makes you wish you could sit next to the author at a drunken dinner party and hear his hilarious tales first hand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this the funniest book ever written?, 25 Oct 2010
I think so!

It is a real, laugh-out-loud romp through a completely crazy boating trip up the Thames and I challenge you not to find something to chuckle over on every page!

The narrator is a pompous, self-congratulatory ass who seems entirely unaware of his own shortcomings while eminently critical of others'. The tone of the novel is tongue-in-cheek/ ironic with some unforgettable moments of true comic genius. I hesitate to outline any of the plot as I don't want to spoil it for you but I will say that the language and style are as fresh and immediate as anything you will read today.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, 14 Nov 2003
'Not as funny as Bill Bryson'?! That takes the biscuit. Three Men in a Boat is the funniest, wisest book ever written. A brilliant gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only read one book......., 18 July 2001
By A Customer
This is perhaps my favourite book of all time. A recognised classic that is a joy, not a chore to read. Witty, atmospheric and charming, it is the story of a leisurely boat journey down the Thames, though every point on the journey seems to start the author off on a humorous tangent about all sorts of issues. This is observational humour a hundred years before it was allegedly invented and not only will it make you laugh, it might just make you want to take to the river in a boat as well.

Three Men in a Boat (Vintage Classics)
1.89