on 7 March 2013
This is a must for any fantasy fan, for any reader of excellently written books. Quite simply this is brilliantly written with believable characters you just cannot help to get attached to. Even the 'baddies' are oddly characters you get attached to.

This first book is just the start of the story.

I found books 2-7 in a local charity shop,grabbed them all. I just found I could not put it down in the shop! Had an iPhone, and had to have the ebooks. Yes I purchased them again for Kindle! Gave all the paperback books back to the charity shop in the hope others will get pulled into this amazing series of books!

Buy and enjoy :) You will get addicted.
on 23 October 2014
Gardens of the Moon - the beginning of what is, in my opinion, the greatest fantasy series of all time.

This book may be difficult for some intially, as it doesn't coddle the reader, and many argue it is one of the weaker Malazan books. However, I found the fact that the reader is dumped in the thick of things to be refreshing, as opposed to stale 'stable boy leaves village to seek his fortune and get stronger' trope.
Some of my favourite literary characters are introduced in this book, and this is where Erikson shines. His characters, and his imagination soar like Moons spawn in this one. Many different characters, doing many different things, and as the book moves so the scope escalates. - breathtaking at times.....

As the start to an incredible series, this book is essential for anyone who enjoys fantasy. .A must read.
on 12 April 2015
Gripping first book. Quite complex with a large number of characters places and themes running through it but excellent gripping writing style. Being a fan of Gemmell, Martin,Barclay, Abercrombie and the usual classic fantasy novelists for years I fancied tackling a large series and the first book did not disappoint! Looking forward to the next...highly recommended.
on 27 March 2011
I read this book because I was going through books so fast, and wanted to find an epic fantasy series that would keep me occupied for a long time. The reviews on Amazon - both positive and negative - decided me.

A lot of people have said this book is confusing and hard to follow. I didn't find that, but you probably will if you try to read too fast. There are no wasted words, no lengthy explanations of "what has gone before." There's a vast history behind this story and its characters, but you are only told as much as you need to know right now, and what you are told is slipped in and can easily go unnoticed as the plot moves forward.

There are a lot of characters, and some are developed more thoroughly than others. There simply isn't space in 750 pages to show every character learning and growing.

The story moves forward at a good pace. In that sense, it reads more like a moderately paced thriller than an epic fantasy. But there's nothing thriller-like about the content. The world is filled with magic, and the gods move amongst mortals and interfere in their lives. If you prefer magic to be subtle, this book probably isn't for you, but if you're like me, you'll love the creativity in this world's unique system of magic.

Some people have complained that this book is a prologue to the rest of the series. It is. There are a lot of questions left unanswered. But that doesn't really matter. It's also a story in its own right - the tale of the Malazan Empire's attempts to take control of the last remaining free city on the continent of Genabackis. That story reaches its conclusion as all the threads come together in a dramatic climax.

Would I recommend this book? Absolutely. I've used Amazon for years, but never been inspired to write a review before.

Have I found what I was looking for? Oh, yes. This epic fantasy series is going to keep me occupied and happy for a long time
55 comments|122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 February 2015
First book I've read by this author, tops a lot of other books in its genre. I would put up there with the first two books of pat rothfuss (name of the wind), Scott lynch (Locke lamorra), Anthony Ryan (Ravens shadow books), Brandon Sanderson (stormlight archive). Anyone who likes this should read those other books as well. Looking forward to the next in the series.
on 15 March 2015
I was recommended this book, and was told my my friend that the series is one of the best.
I was not disappointed but let me tell you it was a difficult and slow start.

Stick with it the first quarter of the book will have you very confused because unlike lots of other fantasy novels, it doesn't set the world up before getting into the meat of it, in fact it is the complete opposite and throws you in to a great battle and expects you to go with it!

This was tough, but after sticking with it, I thoroughly enjoyed it and as I was nearing the end, made sure to purchase the second in the series so it was ready to read straight after!
on 27 May 2015
easy 5 star rating. As a long time fantasy fan this author has been on my hit list for some time and by, he didnt disappoint. couldnt put this book down. the world is so masterfully built Nd thr characters have yourself you intrigued. recommend to any fantasy fan as a must read.
on 3 June 2014
AHhh not another awesome fantasy book series that'll have you buying more and more books that'll just have you addicted.
It's brilliant. Just bare with it, yes you'll read it and wonder what on earth is going on here?
How did he do that? Who are they? Ey?
But there is light at the end of the tunnel, and some great Ohhh! moments as the puzzle suddenly falls into place and the penny drops.
It's fantastically rich universe that's been created here, one of the richest i've ever read (in other words Many, Many characters), as the series progresses and you spiral down the rabbit hole. (or the warren hole...cheeky)

I do how ever, have to have a little rest at the end of a book before i pick up the new one. Other wise i think i'd be dribbling to you right now, as my brain melts. maybe stare at a blank wall for a couple of hours.

But I totally recommend it to fantasy readers.
on 7 November 2015
A real sink or swim book. Feel yourself being dragged along by the coat tails for lots of the book but that just adds to the excitement. No patronising explanations of what's going on and what each of the terms mean, you learn as its happening. Great read that I couldn't put down
on 24 October 2015
You will struggle with the first 33%-40% of the book but he's just pulling you into his world. Bear with it and be ready for a ride. Think of it as the slow part of a roller coaster ride. That said it's very vivid. Also having the dramatis personae ( list o characters) is important.