Format: Kindle EditionChange

on 2 August 2006
There is no other way you can describe this book. This book tells the story of the slightly overweight teenager Ellie. She feels outshadowed by her skinny and "boy magnet" friends Magda and Nadine. When a girl at the shopping mall tells Ellie that she is fat it is the last straw and she goes on a diet and ends up developing an eating disorder.

THis is a very real story about eating disorders one that anyone who has had friends with eating disorders can relate to very well. Although there are some very low moments in Ellies story you put the book down feeling very refreshed.

A must read for teenage girl with low self confidence - or anyone really
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 April 2001
My review is on a very exciting book called Girls under Pressure and it was written by a very talented author called Jacqueline Wilson. This particular book is all about three girls in year nine who were the best of friends. They were called Ellie, Magda and Nadine. But it wasn't always happy days. After they went to the shopping centre Ellie really did feel fat because she was getting teased and bullied about her weight while Nadine was trying out for the Spicy magazine cover girl. From now on Ellie decided that she was going to go on a diet and starves herself even though her friends are trying to persuade her not to. While Ellie was starving herself Magda was having boy troubles and Nadine was having problems with the Modelling. Ellie met this girl called Zoe who wouldn't believe that she was seriously anorexic so she ended up in the nightingle (mad) part of the hospital... I think it is a GREAT!!!!! book because a lot of thought and imagination has gone into writing it. You really think you are in the book and really in with the action. I recommend this book to for ages 7+ because i don't think people any younger would quite understand it.So if you want a good eye catching and imaginative book then this is the one to read. I would rate it 10/10.
on 9 January 2000
This was one of the best books I have ever read. I read it in one day and couldn't put it down. I have read most of Jaqueline Wilson's books, I have read Girl's In Love but I liked this more i can't wait to read it's sequel. There is a sequel to it but I don't know what it is called. If you haven't already read this book i reccommend it for girls (especially those who think they are fat) betweent 10 and 16. After I read it I felt like I was like the 4th person to enter Ellie, Nadine and Magda's friendship because I loved their characters and knew so much about them!
on 5 September 2003
i really enjoyed reading girls under pressure because its all about young teenagers around 14 who get pressured all the time.Girls who are bigger than others get upset over there weight and make themselves sick and try to get over there problems. i recremmed this book to all teenagers i think its veery fun to read aswell.
on 15 November 2002
As usual, Wilson gives yet another cracker of a book. With a heart warming story line and well chosen characters, this book really makes you feel good. Join Ellie and friends in the adventures of growing up an read on how Ellie tries to deal with the sensetive subject of her weight. Being a reader of the first 'Girls' books this one is even better as you can simpathise with the protagonist, Ellie and realise that everyone is beautiful in there own special way. A must read for any becoming teenagers.
on 28 February 2001
I read this book when it first came out. I am a fan of her books, amnd the 'Girls' collection are all really good. I feel that Jaqueline uses a good technique to put her point across. Girls under pressure has to be one of my favourites. I feel as if i know the girl in the story, and i relate to her, and at her times of suffering, i actually feel sorry for her, and want to help her! I can never wait for Jaqueline to publish another book! Once i start a book,i can NEVER put it down, without reading it all! Whether it means staying up in bed, till i've finished it! I just love reading them! Well done Jaqueline!
on 2 May 2000
I have read Girls in Love and it was brill, but this one has to be be even better! It has a really good storyline that is true to real-life situations. When Ellie gets an eating disorder it got me thinking about how serious Bulimia really is. All my friends and othere people at my school love this book and I would recommend it to all girls from 11 to 16. I have read Girls Out Late and its really good.
on 11 May 2000
I have read "Girls out late" and "Girls in love" but this is far the best. I never new how many people suffer from anorexia until I read this book and how Zoe was anorexic. Please Jacqueline write another story about Ellie, Magda and Nadine!
on 9 October 2008
Be careful! My daughter is in year 5 and read this book. I know Jaqueline Wilson is to be congratulated for writing about difficult issues, but I do think this book and her other "Teenage" books should be more clearly described in the "blurb". This book contains descriptive passages of bulimic girls making themselves sick, of their sexual experiences with boys. It also contains some graphic imagery of food being likened to male parts. Great if you're 13+ and certainly up to Wilson's usual excellent standard of sparky characters, solid friendships and descriptive writing.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 December 2003
From the start, this novel encapsulates the typical teenage world with the full on obsession of appearance in three different ways - you'll be able to associate yourself with atleast one! Firstly, there's Nadine - the effortlessly gorgeous teen with a unique, dark sense of style. Then, Magda - the flawless looker who attracts all the boys with her up-to-date fashion sense. And finally - Ellie. The story is portrayed through her eyes and we experience her difficulties. She compares herself with her two best friends and eventually finds herself drowning down tireless efforts to lose weight. She also befriends a girl she meets down the swimming pool who also experiences the same. Ellie becomes Bulimic and eventually, after seeing the harsh consequences her friend goes through understands the dangers.
Jacqueline Wilson gives us this story in excellent form. I've always wanted to read about Bulimia and Anorexia after understanding what a friend of mine was going through but I never found the motivation to actively find out and research the topic. Wilson presents the book in a disguised manner and we're then shocked as we understand the slight occurance can be a trigger - which is the reality of this frightening disease.