5.0 out of 5 stars Dear Teacher by Jack Sheffield- A Great Book
A cracking book for all. The author has a honed skill in relating to adults and children alike, whatever their background.
Published on 4 Feb. 2009 by Mr. M. A. Luck

3.0 out of 5 stars Dear Reader
Where to start with Jack Sheffield's third book about life as Head teacher at the local school in Ragley-on-the-Forest. We pick up another year at the school as the seventies turn into the eighties and see the changes that come with it, within the education system, the local village and nationally.

The undercurrent of the story for me is the relationship...
Published on 22 Mar. 2009 by Jo D'Arcy

5.0 out of 5 stars Dear Teacher by Jack Sheffield- A Great Book, 4 Feb. 2009
Mr. M. A. Luck "Louise Luck" (York, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dear Teacher (Paperback)
Like its two predecessors `Dear Teacher' revolves around life at Ragley village school, its teachers, children, parents and local life but this book boasts more. We still have the daily anecdotes but stories are deeper and events are more colourful.
How lovely it is to be reminded of the importance of values particularly by children: "Our mummy says we're like different-coloured crayons..." said Rowena..."But we all live in the same tin," replied her twin sister Katrina.
This book will be your best friend. You will not want it to end as you read about the funny Pontefract strippers, the "cutest lil' city" of York , Mrs Earnshaw's baby daughter called Dallas (!)... going to "Devon" when you die and so very much more.
A walk down 1980s memory lane is not to be missed as we remember those flares in fashion and nostalgic notes from Abba not to mention the reign of Margaret Thatcher.
Best of all is our dear young Headmaster, Jack Sheffield. We all want a Jack in our lives. If you don't already have one you will be looking for one after reading this book. We experience the pangs of love he has for the lovely Beth and reflect on his words ...'while time might be a great healer, love was better'
This is an excellent read. If you have been a pupil, parent or teacher at some point in your life this will be your reference book on life. This book is so good that I found myself wanting to re-live my life amongst the descriptions and tales of life in Ragley.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dear Reader, 22 Mar. 2009
Jo D'Arcy (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dear Teacher (Paperback)

The undercurrent of the story for me is the relationship between Jack and the two Henderson sisters, Laura and Beth. Reading as we do, we see him flounder with his friendship with Laura, who has misinterpreted everything, whilst as a reader we know that he only has feelings and eyes for Beth, a fellow Head teacher, and at times you want to scream `just get the courage Jack' to put your love life in order.

It is an easy read, and has taken less than two days to read but I did not think it was as funny as the last book. The book needs to be read now; there are so many references to life in 1979/1980 that are actually a dig at the way life is like now. The excitement of personal stereos so only you can listen to the music without inflicting it on everyone else, comes in a generation now plugged into iPods. Abiding by union rules not to administer medicines in school, shows us that no one can help now, in fear of being held accountable if little Terry Earnshaw's cough medicine falls into the wrong hands or if Terry is given too much. Getting a television in the local pub, The Royal Oak is going to cause the local football team's post match team talks too much of an "extraction". No doubt they would be watching the football on it and talking about how successful Chelsea is (in division two then). Do not think in the times of the credit crunch that finances do not get mentioned by Jack Sheffield, they do. Talk of mortgages rising to above 15 per cent and that no one will be able to afford to buy a house if properties go over twenty thousand pounds. Prescription charges were due to rise to a ridiculous 70 pence and television license detector vans that are going to catch those who did have a licence and the licence had gone up to a staggering £34. Read the book and translate it into what is happening in the here and now. A clever idea, but I am not sure if it would hold up in twenty years time when life will have changed again quite radically and all these digs at the way life is now will be lost on the reader.

This book can be read as a social history of the late seventies early eighties with a smattering of just how wonderfully funny children can be with such innocence. If you want to know how events at these times effected every day folk, and how topics of conversation in the pub, the local shop and in the work place centred around who shot JR, and whether the notorious milk snatcher can deal with the miners and insuring a cow for ten thousand pounds than you cannot go far wrong with this book. This is a book about life but as a reader you know exactly what happens, in these events, and I am not sure if that spoils or enhances this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dear Teacher, 24 Feb. 2009
D. M. Carr (Sunderland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dear Teacher (Paperback)
I got my first Jack Sheffield book for Christmas 2007, after reading the first I quickly purchased the second and have just finished the third. All books take me back to the 70's era from all aspects including, current affairs, fashion, confectionery. I felt I should have been eating a curly wurly and wearing shoulder pads whilst reading the latest book. I do hope Jack is well on with the fourth, it will be eagerly awaited by many fans. Looking out for a suitable 1970's hat for the Wedding... hopefully.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Done Jack......., 16 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Dear Teacher (Paperback)
I have just finished this book and once again cannot wait for the next...It takes me right back to my school days of the late 50,early 60's.
Jack I hope she says yes...........
I also brought the little book about the Christmas turkey...I read it to my grand daughter on Christmas Eve,who asks can we read this every year?
Well Done again Jack...all books are excellent and worth reading,however, you will need time on your side 'cause you will not beable to put them down.
Here's to number 4.......Hurry up.
Jenny

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 14 Mar. 2009
Mr. Robert D. Harding (Chipping Sodbury UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dear Teacher (Paperback)
Having read Jack's previous books I was looking forward to Dear Teacher and was not let down. The book will make you smile and transport you back to your own school days when life seemed to consist of playtime, school lunches and teachers with character. Well done Jack - bring on book 4 !

5.0 out of 5 stars School Saga, 15 Jan. 2012
D. Elliott (Ulverston, Cumbria) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Dear Teacher (Paperback)
This is Jack Sheffield's third book in a series recounting a headteacher's entertaining and enjoyable episodes set around a junior school in an unspoilt rural village, and though the period covered is as recent as school year 1979-80 it portrays a way of life that seems far removed from the present day. It is told in the first person and is a semi-autobiographical recollection of incidents by the author from his days as a headteacher of 2 schools in North Yorkshire. What is refreshingly clear is that Jack Sheffield loved his job and his surroundings, and the result is a heartening and heartwarming saga.

Often novels can be grating when adopting dialect, but in `Dear Teacher' mixed up language and spoonerisms are intertwined with vernacular speech to enhance what is already full of humour. There are reflective aside commentaries on issues from educational and societal events of the time, and as with other books in the series each chapter embraces a separate tale with dates and extracts from a school logbook as headings to be linked with the narrative's coverage of ongoing cultural and political occurrences. Inevitably there is some repetition but it a delight to meet established characters and continue to share their experiences. There is perhaps more emphasis in `Dear Teacher' on the dalliance of the headmaster and a colleague, but the outcome is left for the next volume. Or is it? Read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent holiday reading!, 6 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Dear Teacher (Paperback)
I picked up this book to read on holiday. I'd loved the tales of Gervase Phinn and thought this would be similar. It is similar, but is more of a novel than personal experiences in school. Nevertheless, it is an amusing, light-hearted read, with great characters. The sayings of the children never fail to make me laugh, and I really feel for the author in his struggle to make the beautiful Beth love him! I really enjoyed this and look forward to reading the rest of the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Teacher, Teacher; Mister Teacher; and Dear Teacher, 1 April 2009
M. P. Pollard - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dear Teacher (Paperback)
I would just like to say how very much I enjoyed reading the series of books, Teacher, Teacher; Mister Teacher and Dear Teacher by Jack Sheffield. I got really hooked on them and look forward to the next one - Village Teacher which I believe is out at around Christmas or early 2010. The characters were so realistic and also the descriptions of Yorkshire.

Although I live in Cornwall my husband and I visited Yorkshire and stayed in Skipton many years ago and so I could relate to a lot of the places that were mentioned.

I loved reading about times long ago (I was born in 1946!) and it brought back many happy memories, of games, sweets and school days when life seemed to be so idyllic. I thought - gosh I'd forgotten about that, as I was reading about the sweets and games etc. I feel so sorry for young people today who seem to have so much pressure put on them to grow up fast.

Thank you, Jack, for the lovely memories and I look forward to reading Village Teacher. (I do hope that Jack and Beth get together - I love a happy ending!!)

Patricia Pollard

5.0 out of 5 stars Took me back, 27 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Dear Teacher (Paperback)
The book took me back to my school days. Very funny and very well written. I sometimes wish things in school were still the same!! i love the era. Ruby and Vera make me laugh as did the skinny father christmas (jack) . The author writes with great attention to detail and is well worth the read. Having read the last Gervase Phinn book, i found this more entertaining by far. Am putting this on my book shelf next to "now then lad" both great yorkshire reads.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely books but some minor niggles, 30 Aug. 2010
S. Moore "p-s-moore" (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dear Teacher (Paperback)
I bought the first 3 'teacher' books when I returned work after a long sickness abscence. Knowing I'd be tired, I wanted something light but engaging to read after work. They fitted the bill perfectly and I found them more engaging than Gervase Phinn. I find some of the comments on news events too contrived - they sound like "20:20 hindsight" rather than true foresight. Maybe memory is playing tricks (I was a teenager in the late 70s) but I wasn't aware of some of the items mentioned until a few years later than described. Were shell suits really worn in Yorkshire in 1979? But these are minor niggles and shouldn't deter anyone from buying the books. I couldn't resist reading all 3 in quick succession. They have a great feelgood effect. The cliffhanger at the end of book 3 was tantalising and if it was a cynical ploy to make me buy the next book ASAP, it worked!

Dear Teacher