5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and very moving book
Published on 4 Aug 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars His bright light
Sad story and interesting but did go on a bit in middle would of been better to reduce some of the content and so make better reading.
Published 3 months ago by Danielle steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and very moving book, 4 Aug 2001
This review is from: His Bright Light (Paperback)
As I am a Danielle Steel fan I picked up this book and at first did not realise it was the life of her son Nick Trainer.This book touched my soul like no other book ever would. My husband was a manic depressive and in 1996 he was diaganosed with the illness. I had always beleived my husband was just a lively and unpredictable man with severe mood swings which caused my life to be very disturbing, but even so I loved my husband very much and rode along with him with whatever he brought into our life.I can relate with Danielle Steels life living with her son and this book many times brought tears to my eyes. Sadly my husband refused to believe he was ill and by not taking his medication became a different person. In 1996 after 17 years of marriage I left him and blamed myself.As Danielle Steel felt helpless so did I.When you live with a depressed person and they are quiet you can cope,but when they are manic and not aware of their actions you are incapable of helping them and at times living with them. The book described a manic depressive very accurately and I could relate to this completely. Sadly my husband took his life in 1998 he was only 40. When I started to read this book and look back on my years since I was 15 with my husband I realised that he had probably always been a manic depressive like Nick Trainer, but everyone just thought what a wacky person and a great laugh he was.Many times since I have thought"If Only" but I know now this illness was out of my power to control it. I have heard since that Manic Depressives are now monitered with their medication and called back for blood test to monitor their medication and it can be proven if they are not taking it, this in itself will hopefully save lives from being taken before their time. Danielle Steels book make me understand this illness better, I just wish that the mental health team had given me the insight and help to deal with it. Many things in her book made me think of my husband and say "thats him"The saddest thing is Manic Depressives deep down know that they are ill but will not acknowledge it and that is where it all falls apart. I could write a book on my life but I feel by reading Nick!s life that it has already been done for me. Danielle Steel must have found this book hard to write but for anybody who has experienced this illness it would help them understand that " they know not what they do"

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 1 April 2002
This review is from: His Bright Light (Paperback)
As with all Danielle Steel books I was hooked from the first few words. How this women can have lived through those harrowing years and come out the other side, as she has done, is an inspiration to us all. This book gives a valuable insight into Manic Depression/Bipolar Disease that I otherwise would never have had. My thoughts are with any other family who has to live through the same trauma's and anxietes that Danielle and her family did. God Bless them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars His Bright Light by Danielle Steel, 14 Sep 2004
This review is from: His Bright Light (Paperback)
I bought this book a couple of weeks ago and I read it in one sitting. I now feel I understand a lot more about Manic Depression than ever before. My father has suffered from this illness since his teens and so many times he has been accused of being a timewaster and being misunderstood by family and friends and the medical profession. I absolutely loved this book and I wish to thank Danielle for sharing this book with us all.It must have been so hard for her to write but I am glad she has done. Everyone should give this one a read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthraling, 27 July 2003
This review is from: His Bright Light (Paperback)
I couldn't put it down. This must be one ot the best I have read and knowing the precesses that Danielle and her family went through made me admire her even more. They are such a star family and to be able to tell it in such a loving way to the rest of th world, must have taken a lot of courage.
A Fantastic read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Painfull account of a troubled mind., 30 Nov 2000
The story of Nick Traina`s life is a real tragedy his mother Danielle is so devoted to Nick she gives an incite as to how frantic it was trying to get the help that Nick really needed.She seemed to be coming up against brick walls or at least proffesional people who would not commit to a diagnoses of Nick`s illness. Through this book you learn more about manic depression and through Nicks journals which were only read when he was dead you hear how troubled his mind really was. An incredible account of a complete waiste of a tallented life living with demons as Nick did for his very short nineteen years,as a mother myself my heart go`s out to the family all they have left of him now is treasured memorys of Nick. I wish I could have met him there seemed to be a presence around his character and this radiated throught the book,A real tragedy.

5.0 out of 5 stars INSPIRATION TO ALL MOTHERS, 23 April 2000
Andrew Lynch (Bacup, Lancashire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: His Bright Light (Paperback)
This is one of the best books of D.S's I have ever read. Written straight from the heart of a mothers love for her son. It will make you question everything we do with our children and to appreciate them for what they are and who they are. I thought this book was brilliant and had me in tears nearly all the way through. She is truly a wonderful woman

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly heart wrenching story, 6 Aug 2001
This review is from: His Bright Light (Paperback)
What an absolutely amazing woman DS is. I read this book in a couple of hours without stopping with abundant tears and smiles. I did not know anything about bipolar disease before reading this book and now feel as though i know Nick Traina first hand. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves Danielle Steel novels or anyone who has an interest in bipolar disease or manic depression. Again Danielle Steel has not disappointed as i am sure she will not in further novels to be written.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thought provoking look at the life af a manic depressive, 25 Jan 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: His Bright Light (Hardcover)
This book lives up to the standards of Danielle Steel. It is about her son Nick Traina, who was a manic depressive. You share her frustrations of trying to find out what is wrong with her child, when the whole world says he's normal. His Bright Light is a must for anyone who has ever been involved with a manic depressive, or who wants an in depth look at the life Danielle Steel has led. After I read it, I felt nothing but admiration for the author and her family.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 27 Feb 2005
This review is from: His Bright Light (Paperback)
You MUST have tissues by you to read this book, I cried page after page, however it is compelling and is for sure a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost for words...., 10 Jan 2001
This review is from: His Bright Light (Paperback)
A truly heart-rending story, Danielle Steel has shared her son's life with us. I'd recommend it to anyone who's a Danielle Steel fan.

His Bright Light