4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published on 9 Sept. 2008 by Joyce Holmes

1.0 out of 5 stars tedious, shallow plot.....
Published on 19 Nov. 2008 by Gamester

4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 9 Sept. 2008
Joyce Holmes "bookhound" (Lincoln.UK) - See all my reviews
I was truly looking forward to Devil Bones, but it does not seem to me to be as good as the other Brennan books. I got the feeling that it had been put together more as a precis than a full blown novel. It was still enjoyable, but the story felt rushed as though the author was just writing to fill in a gap. I only hope that the next book will return to the format I have enjoyed before, with the characters returning to a full bodied existence. Please Kathy Reichs go back to giving us that at least.

1.0 out of 5 stars tedious, shallow plot....., 19 Nov. 2008
As always, really looking forward to the latest Tempe tome. Really wish I hadn't bothered. Characters didn't seem to care much about what was happening, and neither did I. Ryan turns up and......what happens? Well, nothing. Tempe attacked and hospitalised, does Katy turn up to see her? No. Unless you just want to collect a 'set' of Reichs novels, skip this one. Did I mention that it was also rather depressing/ Not in content, but in tone and style. Avoid.

2.0 out of 5 stars What happened here then?, 5 Feb. 2009
I don't know what happened here, but this book was nothing like her others. I was so disappointed. I await every Kathy reichs novel eagerly. I love the flow of her writing and they way she manages to involve you in the life of her charachters making you feel the story.

We all know she uses technical terminology,which is one of the things I love about her books. But this book was not so much a story as a rote repeat of technical jargon.

Yes Ms. Reichs, we know you are clever and experienced, but i'm not really sure that I want to read the next book if it's going to be anything like this. For the first time ever I felt bored reading a Kathy Reichs novel.

The blurb makes it sound interesting, because usually there is story development and charachter development. In this book, the blurb is about all the storty line you get. I was so looking forward to the Tempe/Ryan steaminess, but what happened, no detective ryan, a Tempe who's fallen off the wagon, lots of self indulgent rubbish that has never been in line with how i have previously percieved the character.

Detective Ryan has gone back to his ex as his daughters in trouble. Tempe has a voodoo case, that not voodoo, then she gets drunk with an ex, gets the sack, solves the case, gets back on the wagon, and then ryan comes back, throughout which time she constantly bemoans getting old.

I hope the next one's better I really do, but if you're thinking of reading a Kathy Reichs novel for the first time, then i'd strongly recommend all the others. But not this. Avoid this at all costs. Its only worth two stars because it keeps my collection in tact.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull and disappointing, 28 April 2009
This novel is alas an utter disappointment. The plot is, at best, flimsy and to make up for that Ms Reichs has "stuffed" the book with endless facts about everything from the history of Charlotte to the minutiae of anthropological techniques. I entirely agree that facts and description is essential for making a story work and scene-setting, but nevertheless a good story requires a solid plot and in this regard Devil Bones fails entirely.

I wondered in hindsight if Ms Reichs had been in danger of missing her publisher's deadline and had simply thrown the novel together, somehow as if she didn't care about Tempe either. I hope that this book is a blip and that she will return to form in the next novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable until the ending, 7 Nov. 2008
Bluebell (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have been fan of Kathy Reiches' books much preferring her writing to the cruder style of Patricia Cornwell. I enjoy the detailed medico-scientific descriptions, and, in this story, I found the information about alternative religions interesting, however I've felt, particularly with recent books that they were tending to become formulaic in the way they ended with her forensic anthropologist heroine, Temperance Brennan, being in fear of her life, attacked and injured. She's supposed to be a forensic scientist not a law-enforcement officer and by repeating the same scenario in each book it becomes unbelievable and annoying. I thought the basic story was good and will continue to buy her books in the hope that Tempe will manage to get through a case without ending up in hospital! I'd welcome fewer acronyms familiar to USA readers, but not for the rest of us.

2.0 out of 5 stars How terribly disappointing., 13 Dec. 2008
R. Gorman "ba1485" (Bangor, Northern Ireland, UK) - See all my reviews
Devil Bones

As an avid reader of all Kathy Reichs books I was greatly disappointed by this book. It only very loosely follows the style of her other books and gets to chapter 9 before anything starts to happen, and even then it's a real slog.
There's a tremendous amount of (unnecessary ?) technical data tossed into the early chapters of the book which I found to be distracting and unnecessary.
This book reeks of something chucked together by the author because a publishers deadline was imminent.
I also detest books that have blank pages. In this book pages 143 and 152 are blank and not even numbered. Very distracting and totally unnecessary.
All in all this book should never have been published - it needed a great deal more editing and tidying up in order to make it into one of Kathy Reichs usual good stories.

1.0 out of 5 stars Far from the best from Kathy Reichs, 2 Jun. 2009
I really rate Kathy Reichs, having gone off Patricia Cornwall when she started to play out her persecution complexes on the page. However, I feel that Kathy's books have got worse with every new book published.

I still like the character of Tempe, but she's far more two-dimensional in this book than in any previous one. I found the plot confusing and difficult to keep straight in my head, and it read more like a research article than a novel, with far too much show-off detail about alternative religions and not enough plot and characterisation. I wonder whether Kathy has been spending too much time on the TV series Bones and not enough writing her novels? This reads like an outline sketch for a book - maybe she was hoping someone would fill in the gaps!

Finally, I found the deliberate cliff-hanger ending to each chapter far more annoying than I have before - but that could be me getting older and grumpier, I guess!

Read Deja Dead instead - it's MILES better!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disheartened..., 3 April 2009
This review is from: Devil Bones (Paperback)
I always look forward to the next Reichs novel and always pre-order. I was really dissapointed with this, no clever spark, no great banter, it felt rushed and disjointed. It almost feels like Ms Reichs is so busy writing TV scripts for "Bones" that she has forgotten about her readers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sell-by date coming up?, 3 Sept. 2008
Michael Watson "skirrow22" (Halifax, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
As ever, I was looking forward to the latest Tempe Brennan story. Ahead of Cornwell in the forensic anthropologist stakes, in my view but now I'm beginning to wonder. At first, I thought I'd somehow missed out a book. I don't remember Ryan leaving her in the lurch, I don't remember the dog leaving home but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, this book doesn't flow like the others. There's plenty of forensic detail, several bodies to be explained and a few more currently taken care of by the killer.

What I don't quite get is how an anthropologist becomes the number one detective. As though the police hardly make a difference for without Brennan, the case would not be solved. Which, of course, means her life is threatened once again. But this time, the coincidences are wearing a bit thin. I really don't believe a chance look at a music website brings up the identity of one of the people involved. Surely not??

I've given the book 4 stars because I've enjoyed the outing with Tempe Brennan but I honestly think it's worth only 3! As for the next one? I may well wait until I can pick it up secondhand after the hype has gone. Sorry if her fans disagree with me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing - second ever book I have not finished, 16 Mar. 2009
This book was a huge disappointment - the first few chapters were incredibly boring with way too much technical detail. I gave up - life is too short to slog with a novel you are not enjoying in any way.

Whatever happened to engaging plots and characters?

I am sad that like Patricia Cornwell - Kathy Reiches has failed to maintain consistency in her plots and characters in this novel. I just hope, unlike Cornwell this is not the start of a slippery slope,

Devil Bones: (Temperance Brennan 11)