5.0 out of 5 stars As much fun as eating a whole tub of Cookie Ice Cream alone.
Following the familiar Dan Brown relentless chasing formula, this book zips the reader through all 360 pages with ruthless vervour around some particular tight blind corners even by Mr Browns standards.
Published on 7 Jan 2002 by R. Finney

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
This was the third Dan Brown book I read, after DVC and Angels & Demons.

DVC was pretty poorly written and based on, well, a whole heap of bilge, but there was no denying that it was a page turner and it had me gripped to the end despite characters that were so slight a breeze would have blown them away and a plot that tried so hard to be unpredictable that it...
Published on 19 Feb 2009 by tiggrie AKA Sarah

5.0 out of 5 stars As much fun as eating a whole tub of Cookie Ice Cream alone., 7 Jan 2002
R. Finney "blakpawn" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deception Point (Hardcover)
The story revolves around the events both political and personal surrounding the discovery of an alien meteorite, but even at the political level it's the personal characters that make this book an intense rush of a read.
I almost didn't order this book when I noticed it was billed as an American political thriller, but don't let that put you off its as accessible as Disney in summer and twice the fun.
This book is excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Deceived? Yes indeed., 11 April 2006
Mr. G. Battle (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
Ok, to start with I belong to the Angels and Demons is better than The Davinci Code camp. You know where I stand. Deception point, is a clever, although formulaic thriller, deeply rooted in science-fact as per Brown's other work. This novel is an action packed story, full of twists and suspense that you'd probably expect. You'll be able to guess where the plot goes throughout the novel and turn your nose up and the pointless love interest, but there's still some very good suspense, and the predictability of the direction of the novel does not detract from it's overall impact. The final action scene was brilliantly choreographed, a masterpiece of cause and effect. Initally a "samey" feel, yet after a quarter of the book you'll be hooked and won't put it down until it's all over.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Exciting Read, 17 Feb 2006
Ms. N. R. Carr "nicolac34" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
I have just finished reading this book and I have to say that it just tops off all of Dan Brown's fantastic reads. I started off with the Da Vinci code to see what all the hype was about, loved every second of reading that book so decided to see if his others matched up, and boy to they ever! Reading the back of his other books I thought I wouldn't find them all that interesting (being an avid crime fiction reader) but I just couldn't put them down! I found myself walking along the street trying to read once I was off the train because it was so adictive! The twists and turns of this book made it a thoughroughly enjoyable read despite all the facts and figures thrown at you.
I could see all his books making it into films, Im not sure they would be able to capture the suspence and magic Dan Browns has done though. I cannot wait for another installment of one of his books!

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 22 Oct 2003
This review is from: Deception Point (Hardcover)
I have been able to read this book while relaxing during a nile cruise (in Egypt). The fact that I was able to read it during such a cruise shows how the book can keep a firm grip on you.
Technically the book is not really believable and it is not much provocating either (do not expect things a-la early Crichton). The story has a nice tempo and keeps the reader attention till the end, which honestly surprised me. I did not really expect it.
The bad side is that more than half of the book is one day of action .... and this seems a little bit too much for a day.
In a nutshell, it is a good read ... as long as you do not like analysing the technical details. A good alternative to the not-so-good latest Crichton books.

4.0 out of 5 stars a good read to say the least., 16 Jan 2006
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
After reading Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code I was absolutely amazed, i enjoyed them so much and instantly went out to purchase Brown's other works. Deception Point has nothing to do with the Robert Langdon tales and it has a whole new concept.
This is not going to be a long ranting,analysing and critical review; just a few points. Read this book, it is written in a fantastic way, a cocktail of twists and leaving us on a knife edge. I must say at times the story seemed to be going a bit far and i began to think, ok this is not what i was hoping, i soon opened up my mind and realised that this is fiction, who cares whats realistic or belieavble. When i read a book i am looking for something that can take me away from every day life and transport me to a whole new world.I agree with there being a few pointless yet interesting scientific facts in there,
all in all a great read, not worthy of five stars but get a copy and see what you think. I reckon it wont be long before somebody starts milking this for a film, if they do i hope they make it good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Dan Brown Read, 27 Aug 2004
Scottish Dave (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
After being blown away by reading his fourth, and most recent, novel "The Da Vinci Code" I went back and read Brown's previous three novels. Although they don't quite read the heights of "The Da Vinci Code", all three are excellent reads.
"Deception Point" is Brown's third novel. This time there is no sign or Art History or Christianity to be found. The book is centred around an earth shattering discovery in the artic. But the discovery may not be quite what it seems and people will kill because of this.
Overall I found it an excellent 9/10 read. It had me gripped throughout the book. The characters were strong and there were plenty of twists throughout. In fact by about halfway through the book it almost turns into a "who done it" with you guessing (in my case unsuccessfully!" to the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deceptively Good, 16 Aug 2004
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
Where can i start with this book? 'Brilliant' doesn't seem to do it enough justice! This book is a political/conspiracy mix and Dan constantly 'flips' between the two throughout the book to keep driving the story forward, he leaves the political side with a 'cliff-hanger' while he switches back to the conspiracy which he then leaves on a 'cliff-hanger' before going back to the political game that is going on throughout the book. This was a very refreshing approach from Dan Brown as I was beginning to think his books could only contain characters with a strange penchant for tweed!
I was very surprised how quickly I raced through this book and at the end even found myself wondering if it was better than the Da Vinci Code... I think it's just that little bit better, I'm not sure why but Deception Point really made me want to read it where-as the Da Vinci Code simply intrigued me with interesting theories to keep me reading but it never really sucked my in so that I couldn't put it down.
This book is a very well balanced piece of work from Dan and one I believe has been slightly overlooked by most due to the Da Vinci Code, not because it's a bad book - personally I found it to be alot better as a whole than the Da Vinci Code - but because it isn't controversial enough.
Admittedly this book isn't perfect, there are times when you're left slightly sceptical at how characters get out of a few of the situations they're in (not because the story misleads but because they suddenly get the upper hand rather too conveniently) which does spoil the book a bit and is one of Dan's main failings when he writes (he always seems to make even the simplest 'action' sequence too complex for it to be believable). Aside from this I cannot recommend the book highly enough, Deception Point is the book to read if you're a Dan Brown sceptic.

4.0 out of 5 stars A proven formula that keeps the reader entertained, 30 Sep 2006
Darren Simons (Middlesex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
Deception Point tells the story of NASA's supposed life-altering discovery at the North Pole. Coming at the time of a Presidential Election, the President knows that the public will be suspicious of its authenticity. To handle this, he convinces several top independent scientists and experts (including Rachel Sexton, the estranged daughter of his Presidential rival) to verify it. When doubts surface to the authenticity, a fast-paced chase follows as it is realised that Sexton and the scientists know too much and can damage what has been found.

This is typical Dan Brown - fast paced adventure with more twists and turns than a year in the life of Eastenders. The twists are somewhat predictable but don't let that take away from the fact that this is an entertaining book. To me the test of how good a novel is tends to be how fast I read it... Deception Point was finished within 3 days. I was hooked!

To compare to Da Vinci Code, I'd say this story is less believable as the proportion of fiction to fact is higher than Da Vinci Code. However, the storyline is strong and easy to follow. My only criticism of this book would be having worked so hard on the storyline, Brown makes little effort to build the characters - the end chapter is a complete waste in my view!

4.0 out of 5 stars Scientific/political techno-thriller, 17 Feb 2004
Rennie Petersen (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
I liked this book. The idea of a techno-thriller involving lots of hard science mixed with political skullduggery really appealed to me. The plot is quite twisted and moves along at a brisk pace, keeping you wondering what in the world is going to happen next.
My biggest criticism is that it's hard to take the characters seriously when the author doesn't take them seriously. Almost all of the characters kid around and talk/act like unruly teenagers. At one point the President of the United States steals the main protagonist's mobile telephone! Very funny, but are we supposed to think this is realistic behavior from real adult characters?
Despite this problem with the characters I'm looking forward to reading more of Dan Brown's books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Twists and Turns, 12 Mar 2007
J. Chippindale (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Deception Point (Audio CD)
Dan Brown has had some bad press lately, much of it questioning his ability as a writer. As they say, there is no such thing as bad publicity. I have now read all Brown's books and found them both interesting and innovative. Digital Fortress is possibly the best story of the lot and to go too deeply into the plot would spoil it for the reader.

To give a very general synopsis is probably the best way to approach the plot of the book, so here goes: The US Presidential elections are coming up and the President's chances are not looking too good. The Senator who is vying with him for the Presidency is running a successful campaign against NASA, the American space agency. The Senator is virtually saying that the agency is now a white elephant drawing vast sums of money from the US taxpayer and give virtually nothing in return.

The President of the US then makes a television broadcast stating that NASA have made an earth shattering discovery. The announcement blows his opponents campaign right out of the water.

That is a very brief and broad resume of the book. Without giving too much away, I will just say that the discovery is made under 200ft. of ice in the Arctic and is mind blowing. To say anymore would spoil the story for the reader.

Deception Point