5.0 out of 5 stars As good a book as I have ever read!
Having read and thoroughly enjoyed "Narrow Dog to Carcassone" I was eagerly awaiting the Darlington's next adventure: "Narrow Dog to Indian River" and had it pre-ordered. It did not dissappoint and was as good a book as I have ever read!

Published on 13 April 2008 by Changing Man

3.0 out of 5 stars narrow dog to Indian River
I absolutely loved Narrow dog to Carcassone, and was looking forward to reading Indian River. Indian river was a great read, however, I wasn't sure whether it was Terry's health worries, but the whole book was a little subdued, and I found it a quite unsettling at times, as opposed to the huge uplifting feeling I got when I read "Carcassone". Perhaps I am more...
Published on 10 Aug. 2009 by Stephen Dean

5.0 out of 5 stars As good a book as I have ever read!, 13 April 2008

Who will enjoy this book? Anyone with an interest in boating for a start, particularly those who wondered whether narrowboats were really limited to plodding up and down the UK canal system! How wrong we were! But before you set out it makes you aware of considerations you may never have thought about! (leaping lizards Batman?)

The story is bigger than a boating adventure though because it shows us that in retirement it is still possible to push the boundaries and have real adventures! It also proves that it is possible to be extremely amusing at the same time as being extremely scared! Terry Darlington's writing style is unique and his descriptions of the people they meet on the journey are closely observed and he finds the irony in every situation.

This book should be given to every employee on a "facing retirement" course. You should buy it for your Dad or your favourite Uncle! Better still, read it yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb reading, 13 April 2008
Mrs. Olga A. Danes-volkov (Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I read this book and its predecessor, "Narrow dog to Carcassonne", in three days. They are now established as two of my all time favourites.These books describe the extraordinary travels of Terry and Monica Darlington (and not forgetting their whippet, Jim) on their narrowboat, the "Phillis May" firstly to France, including crossing the channel and in this book, down the Eastern coast of America. However, these are so much more than just travel books. While they are terribly funny, they are quite beautifully written, in a style unlike anyone that I've read before. Terry Darlington's descriptions of people, conversations, places, and weather carried me along. I lived the trips with them. If you need to be carried away, charmed, amused, buy these books - you'll love them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Narrow Escape, 17 May 2010
Gs-trentham - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is not a book to read on a train or plane or in any situation where others might be annoyed or bewildered by sudden outbreaks of mirth. Like its predecessor, Narrow Dog to Carcassonne, it is a very funny book; Terry Darlington has a sharp sense of humour and an instinct for timing. But, like its predecessor, Narrow Dog to Indian River is not just a funny book. It is a perceptive view of a little-known route through the United States and its people, a journey of more than a thousand miles down the Intracoastal Waterway in a boat that was, to put it carefully, not really fit for that particular purpose.

Moreover, Terry and his wife, Monica, are in their seventies, better suited to their base on the Trent and Mersey Canal which is mostly seven feet wide. Traversing the Intracoastal entails navigating vast stretches of open water with no land visible on any side. What's moreover, they are accompanied by the eponymous Narrow Dog. Jim is a whippet of character- "The eyes of Princess Diana, the legs of Sebastian Coe, the mind of Ronnie Biggs."

As the adventures unroll, some amusing, some touching, some informative, some critical, the reader may think that the author has felt entitled to use a certain amount of licence - not with the facts but perhaps with the chronology: there is a sense of a master story-teller at work, shaping the narrative for balance, dropping in allusions the reader is assumed to be intelligent enough to recognise, seasoning the mix with verse.

Hard to resist, easy to admire.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration for retirees, 5 Aug. 2008
I. R. Joyce "Ian Joyce" (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
I have just finished Narrow Dog to Indian River, purchased because I so enjoyed the first book Narrow Dog to Carcassonne. I thoroughly enjoyed them both and do not hesitate to recommend them to anybody who enjoys travellers tales and dry humour.Terry and Monica are a particular inspiration to people about to, or are already retired, as the books prove that if you enjoy moderate good health there is still so much you can achieve, whatever your age.
Ian Joyce.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 5 May 2008
R. Bennett - See all my reviews
Having heard Terry and Monica on Radio 4 recently I bought a copy of Narrow Dog to Indian River to pass the time recovering after a rather unpleasant operation in hospital - and the time (and the book) flew by. I thought my stitches would come out with laughter at several moments (particularly the cat/handbag incident and the "your rat" phenomenon) but more than that it was thoughtful, provoking, honest, inspiring and very, very touching. It is wonderful to know that there are still people such as them who are crazy/brave enough to go out and do crazy/brave things just because (they hope) they can. Thank you Terry, Monica and of course Jim for sharing your experiences - can't wait to read the first book now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 25 July 2008
A friend of mine bought me the first book (Narrow Dog to Carcassonne) as a birthday present. I've never read a book that made me laugh out loud so much. Brilliant. I was delighted to see the new book on sale and bought it immediately. I confess to saving it till I had time to sit down and really enjoy it. The stories and anecdotes are excellent, but it's the way the books are written that make them for me. Jim, the dog, is tremendous. The two books are fantastic and provide hours of pleasure. Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully enjoyable. Brilliantly observed!, 20 May 2008
Like many others, having read Narrow dog to Carcassone, I eagerly awaited the sequel. A mad but wonderful attempt to take the Phyllis May to the USA. The story is told in Darlington's unique style with his delightful sense of humour. The style takes a little getting used to, but once you are there, his take on life is a joy.It is lovingly observed down to the last detail. It makes you wish you were there for all the good bits, and certainly I now want to visit the East coast of the States. But being a landlubber and complete Gongoozler I shall do it by car! I found myself chuckling out loud many times during the story, and found myself lost in joyful thought about his poetry. Truly a delightful story, full of gentle humour and observation this book is a must read. If you have not read "Carcassone" first, some things might be lost on you, but you will be eager to read it to catch up. Indian River is wonderful. I have no regrets about the book and no hesitation in suggesting an immediate purchase! Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Read, 20 July 2008
Amazon Customer (barrow-in-furness, cumbria United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
After reading Narrow Dog to Carcassonne I was eager to read Narrow Dog to Indian River and I wasn't dissappointed. It was absorbing and humorous and made me laugh out loud at times. For anyone interested in Travel and/ or Canal Boating this is a must and would be an excellent holiday read. Terry, Monica and Jim are an intrepid trio and I hope there is more to come. B. Lace

5.0 out of 5 stars What can I say ...?, 9 Oct. 2009
Excellent, funny, quirky, laugh-out-loudable, sharp, wry, and very interesting to boot. I loved this book (as you can probably tell) and think Terry Darlington is a pure-d genius. I wish he'd write another one, just so I could race through passages like this:

"The trouble with you is you are obsessed with the USA, said Monica. The GIs gave you too much gum in the war and you read too many comics and saw too many films - too much Captain Marvel, too much Tarzan, too much Terry and the Pirates, too much Alan Ladd. But America will crush you like it always has. Remember after the New York Marathon, when that gay fireman went off with you over his shoulder? If I hadn't come along you would be Tits Magee now, the Limey Queen of Greenwich Village."

... and that's just the opening paragraph of the book.

Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding, 22 July 2008
Mrs. R. B. Hunt (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This is a truly entertaining tale. Terry, Monica and Jim are so vividly described that you feel you are actually on the adventure with them. The breathless, 'run away' style of prose gives a real feel of each event so that you can enjoy the pace and activity in person.The amusing descriptions are delightful and the whole book is a wonderful read.

Narrow Dog to Indian River