5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for teenagers!!!!
Published on 9 May 2006 by Rosie101

3.0 out of 5 stars Memory Lane?
A good airport read full of basic infantry skills and local knowledge, with the intelligence services as the baddies again. A bit of gratuitous violence when the smart way would have just been to eliminate rather than capture him, but I guess that makes the story.Too many loose ends at the end which might have stopped the happy ever after bit, but presumably that is to...
Published 19 months ago by Mike

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for teenagers!!!!, 9 May 2006
This review is from: Boy Soldier (Paperback)
As a forty something year old mother of a near teenager, I am constantly on the look out for an interesting book for my son to read. But, on having purchased 'Boy Soldier' for him, I noticed on the back cover the words 'NOT SUITABLE FOR YOUNGER READERS'. This made me stop and think - Would this be too violent? Full of four letter words? So I thought I'd have a look for myself.This is a very well written book, ok, so there's some swearing (though infrequent and no more than you'd no doubt hear in a school playground) and there's violence (say a 12 certificate film) but its a fast paced book, and highly addictive, prologue and two chapters in and I just couldn't put it down! Well Done! to messers McNab and Rigby! I'll definately be buying 'Payback' and 'Avenger' tomorrow. (Cause I want to read them!!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a teenage book which isn't fantasy!!, 5 Aug. 2006
This review is from: Boy Soldier (Paperback)
Very few children authours these days realise that not all teenagers want books with different worlds and magical creatures. This is a real, down to earth simple book. Andy McNab has written a superb novel in "Boy Soldier" and also "Avenger" (I am looking foward to reading "Payback") I love this series! The books are impossible to put down and have a cliff hanger at every turn. The series is so refreshing and I put it up there with Anthony Horowitz in terms of excellence, if not better. Make no doubt about it, Andy McNab is a superb authour, I will definately be reading more of his work in furure.

5.0 out of 5 stars read it, 21 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Boy Soldier (Hardcover)
this is the first andy mcnab book i've read and i have to say, im very impressed. action-packed and a brilliant read. you won't be able to put this book down. it'll suit any age.
fans of the alex rider series by anthony horowitz should seriously consider this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Andy McNab + typewriter = another fine novel, 9 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Boy Soldier (Hardcover)
An avid fan of Mr McNab's work, 'Boy Soldier' proves to be an enthalling read both for adults, and McNab's new target audience - teenagers. Set in England, with a corrupt MI6 officer and his band of assassins hot on the trail of new character Fergus Watts, the pace is fast, and McNab's legendary attention to detail is ever present. After a somewhat lacking 'deep black' this is a great return to form. I look forward to 'Aggressor' in November. Keep it up andy!..(Sir)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for savy 14 year old boy, 14 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Boy Soldier (Paperback)
My 14yr boy tells me he really liked this book. He is a typical 14yr old so should be suitable for boys of this age ;)

Can't comment anymore as his review consisted of a just a few 'grunts of approval' which roughly translated is 'Wow that was a great book Dad'

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally ... an engaging read for boys and girls alike!, 17 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Boy Soldier (Paperback)
I am a teacher and was looking for a book for teenagers that wasn't patronising, dull and had all the elements of adult fiction in. Boy Soldier has all of the above. It gripped me until the end, it didn't patronise for a younger audience and it used elements that are relevant to teenagers in today's society such as MSN, Email, text messaging and so on. It is also quick paced and littered with action.

So there is 2 swear words in it - in my school they call each other far worse! Also, it is not in there for the hell of it - it is within context. Besides, I can completely ignore that if it's going to get them to read and believe me, this is definitely the book to engage the boys (and I can vouch for the girls, as I was completely enthralled also!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for kids!, 19 May 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Boy Soldier (Hardcover)
Boy Soldier is a completely absorbing read, once you pick it up it is impossible not to have to finish it in one sitting. The novel has the qualities of a great thriller in abundance - it's fast-paced, action packed and full of interesting and unexpected plot twists. But what makes Boy Soldier so unique and attractive to adults is the sensitivity with which the characters and their relationships are depicted - such beautiful descriptive writing is very rare in this type of literary genre. Buy it, read it and then wait impatiently for the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Boy Soldier, 4 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Boy Soldier (Paperback)
I bought this book for my grandson, who is 12 in February. His reading capabilities have always been superb, and far older than his years. But, I felt I should read it before handing it over for Christmas. Well, I can honestly say I thoroughly enjoyed it. It keeps you enthralled all the way through. In actual fact, it wasn't until I got to the end that I realised there were three more to the story. There are a few swear words, which really do not need to be in there, but, come on, they hear worse in the play ground! My grandson is so well grounded and understanding that they will wash over him, hence I bought the other three to follow. Hope I have time before handing them over to read them myself.....

5.0 out of 5 stars You don't have to be a teenager!!!, 28 Dec. 2009
Pegasus "Pegasus" (Lancashire,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boy Soldier (Paperback)
I bought The whole BOY SOLDIER series for my dad as a Christmas present as he's a huge Andy Mcnab fan. I was worried when I realised it was for teenagers; however my dad is halfway through the book and he's thoroughly enjoying it.
My dad has told me it's just as you expect from Mr. Mcnab (and not forgetting Robert Rigby,) plenty of action and excitement, and there's a mystery to solve regarding the grandfather he's never met. Fast paced and soldier orientated with authentic details. It keeps you..... as like all Andy's books... on the edge of your seat.
He's looking forward to reading the other three titles in the series.
Don't let the fact it was written for teenagers put you off!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for teenage boys, 23 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Boy Soldier (Paperback)
My son would rather eat his own feet than read a book voluntarily, however he has taken himself off to read this. Hasn't finished it yet, but at least he's persevering!

Boy Soldier