5.0 out of 5 stars What a brilliant bit of kit - over the moon with it !
Having read the list of reviews for this product (which were really helpful) I decided to order it, the majority of people were singing the praises of the steamer, but I was a little apprehensive as there were a few reviews that were not so good. However, if there is an issue with an item I know Amazon will refund or it will be replaced so decided to take the...
Published on 15 Feb. 2012 by 2ld

2.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't buy another one
I purchased one of these from Amazon in February 2009 and initially was very impressed. After a couple of months I noticed that food in the front basket did not cook as quickly as that in the back basket but put this down to my own inefficiency. Then one of the lid handles came unglued. I struggled on with the steamer until Christmas when another handle came off so I...
Published on 14 Aug. 2010 by AT GE Babbington

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Second time around, awesome, 11 April 2011
This review is from: Morphy Richards Intellisteam 48781 Food Steamer, White (Kitchen & Home)
When I first used this steamer one of the small compartments had no steam. I called amazon that replaced the steamer very quickly and they gave me a month to send the broken one up. I spend a week using the "broken" one ( the two remaining working compartments and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how tasteful everything was. I ended up steaming everything, not just veggies, I did burgers, sausages, lamb, all sorts of veggies and roots, rice, all with excellent results.

My replacement arrived today and all three compartments are working great so I'm a happy amazon customer. Given my experience I would highly recommend that you buy this product from amazon or other reputable dealers with a good return policy in case the steaming elements break easily and my first device wasn't just a fluke.

Positives: Easy to use. Automatically handles cooking time so that everything is finished at the same time. Intuitive controls. Possibility to add water after steaming begins ( if you forget etc) without removing anything. Short and to the point instruction manual. Good looking!. All compartments sufficiently large for preparing a meal for a family of 4.

Negatives: No off button!!! I was planing to leave this plugged in, but I don't as there's no dedicated off button. Even though it was a very fancy timer for cooking times it doesn't have a delayed start timer. So for example you put the raw food in in the morning and tell it to finish cooking at 12. Not possible, even though all the elements to do that is there. ( embedded processor, screen buttons!. Come people, you came this far implement a delayed start timer!)

Overall five stars. Yes it has some negatives but to my knowledge there's nothing better out there at any price range, factor in price and you have a sure winner!.

Note: Salts from the evaporated water build up fast on the heating elements. I used vinegar to clean them, but I found that adding a little lemon juice in the water compartment every time I add water helps without affecting the taste of food.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Steamer, 10 Feb. 2012
We bought this steamer about two years ago and found it is really good and clever. The manual gives weight and times for cooking so you must adjust the time setting for the weight of the food which is obvious when you think about it.

There appears to be some confusion in at least one review about the time it takes to warm up and concern that it takes a long time because of the volume of the water tank...... This Does NOT affect warming up time. The steamer works by having three ceramic conical elements that heats only the water on the surface of that element and delivers it to the food container that it serves, this enables three different times to be set so that each food is cooked for the correct time and all are ready at the same time!

The food needing the longest cooking comes on first and then the others time in according to the time needed to cook their contents so that all are cooked at the same time. The water in the tank gets warm but certainly does not need to be boiling before you can cook.

The results are magic and so cleverly thought out!

You, of course, don't need to know all this to use the machine, it just does it but I wanted to dispel the impression that you have to wait for the whole tank to boil to start cooking this kit it much to clever for that!!!!

When people see this in action they are enthralled and the food is good to!

5.0 out of 5 stars Morphy Richards Intellisteam 48781 food steamer, 3 Feb. 2012
Great, took a little time to get use to the controls. Produced a full meal and was very pleased with the result.

5.0 out of 5 stars steamer, 27 Jan. 2012
great machine the only thing wrong is the times for cooking in the book are wrong thay need longer other wise ok

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product!, 20 Aug. 2011
This is the second Intellisteam I have owned - the first one went with my son to his new flat as its so easy to use and can complete a whole meal in one go! This is the updated version and so far has proved to be a worthy replacement. Would prefer it in black or stainless than the white but thats such a small thing as it changes nothing about the way it works!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great time saver, 5 Feb. 2013
doodlebug (Belfast, N. Ireland) - See all my reviews
I got this just over a year ago when quite unwell and cooking took too much out of me, yet I needed healthy meals to speed my recovery.

In the last 13 months we have used it at least 4 days a week, often 2 times a day.

With one large compartment and two small with independent steaming functions, you can cook a great meal all in one steamer. (Our favourite is chicken, potatoes and veg)
The smaller ones have a dividing wall that can be removed to create a second larger compartment.

Food "plinth" - basically an extra shelf that fits in the larger section so you can cook more food in the space.

Rice tray - rice and pasta accessory that is raised like the plinth so you can cook other things under it.

Sauce trays - two small trays that can be used in the small compartments. They can be used for peas or rice too.

The instruction book gives a great guide on timings (though the smart timer has some presets as well) and some great recipes like Sesame Salmon Noodles and Steamed Greens with Coconut Milk and Sweet Chilli Sauce - cooks in 20 mins! And even a sponge pudding that could be happily steaming away (42 mins) while you have your main course.

The instruction leaflet can be found on the manufacturers website.

The only issue I had with this was that it was described as dishwasher safe. After a few washes, the containers started to crackle. At the minute its cosmetic but I wont be putting it in the dishwasher again. Although, to be fair, it took up the entire top drawer of the machine plus some of the bottom as well anyway.

A few people commented on it being hard to clean due to the holes. After much frustration I tried using the rice trays to cook the chiicken fillets in. It works well, but tin foil "bowls" work best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Revolutionise your cooking, 8 Dec. 2012
JamesW (Nr Stroud, Gloucester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Yes this is a bit pricey compared to other stackable steamers but for us it suited the purpose of what we were looking for: a steamer which doesn't rise up like a skyscraper!

Containing three compartments (one big and two small which can be changed to two large by the removal of the divider) two small trays, a rice tray and a shelf unit. It has preset time buttons which are labelled generically with images of poultry and vegetables and these are easily changeable to suit your needs. The accompanying book comes with timing instructions for up to 4 servings but you will find that the old trial and error system works just fine. There are up and down arrows as well so if you just want to change a preset by a couple of minutes it is easy and quick to do so.

The main appeal of this steamer is that you can make complete meals without having to go back and adding more food. For example, most days I have a complete breakfast consisting of 2 eggs (9 minutes) two frozen veggie sausages (15 minutes) and some baked beans (12 minutes) I have all the presets loaded and it takes seconds to set it up and once I've pressed the steam button I can go and shower and 15 minutes later my breakfast is ready.
We've also cooked chicken, salmon, rice and a host of vegetables all cooked to perfection.

Now for the downsides. You will need a strong pair of tongs! Why these aren't included in the pack I don't know because you will need them to lift the trays out, and pick up various bits of food. The two smaller compartments are a perfect size for cooking, but not for getting your hands in - plus of course the food is hot! So you will need tongs.

The heating elements almost immediately start developing lime scale but a quick vinegar wash gets rid of it easily once every couple of months

All in all I love this steamer and it has transformed my cooking and in some ways it has transformed my kitchen as well. I barely use my cooker anymore and I eat healthily every day.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, bad in practice, 27 Sept. 2012
I actually got a recondition Intellisteam from Amazon about a month ago. It has not just gone wrong. The front display doesn't want to show any figures, so you can't really see what time you have set your food to cook for. Sad really because on the whole it looks great and feels really solid. However, I think Morphy Richards (MR) have forgotten a few tricks -- particularly now I read other reviews here; they are all starting to make sense.

The problem is that there's steam! And I believe MR just haven't thought about the problems that can give. Looking at the other reviews and thinking about our problem I can only surmise that steam gets into places it shouldn't: either the electrics, in my case; or the glue which holds on the handles, for others here!

Well now to the good points -- this is (was) the first steamer which didn't cause our kitchen to become a steam room. That was great. It cooked food well too, but avoid the trays if you want the food to cook quicker. And as I've said previously it's really solid compared to other steamers on the market. It comes apart easily and the plastics used in the trays look good (like our Megimix bowls).

On the down side -- it's really quite big and heavy so emptying the water is a chore. Also, as other reviewers have mentioned it's large: as well as the three top bowls and associated trays there is another tray which seats between the bowls and the steamer. You will certainly fill up a sink with the parts. Although to be fair they don't need a lot of cleaning. The individual heating elements (there are three) also get white deposits, if water is left in the steamer for long -- and we have a water softener in our house!

On the whole then -- buyer beware! I think version 3 might be better, I'm going to wait for that before getting another one. I hope by then that MR will have considered some of the returns they are having and improve the steamer.

5.0 out of 5 stars cooking made easy, 25 Dec. 2011
This is the best food steamer I have ever bought, you can programme each compartment on a time basis so that all the food is ready together. just great !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum.. that is all, 24 Nov. 2012
Easy to clean if done in a timely manner (ie not left overnight with food stuck on). Excellent instructions/cooking times etc. Food tastes far far superior than cooked by traditional boiling. If you're thinking of getting a food steamer, seriously, get this! I used to have a 3 tier steamer which was good, but this one allows 3 separately timed compartments, plus you don't have the juices of the top tier dripping over the bottom 2 tiers. Yes it's £50 more than a 3 tier model, but it's worth every penny! That and it's basically 3 steamers!
I find this very well designed and thought out. Top gadge for the kitchen.

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›