5.0 out of 5 stars What a brilliant bit of kit - over the moon with it !
Published on 15 Feb 2012 by 2ld

2.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't buy another one
Published on 14 Aug 2010 by AT GE Babbington

5.0 out of 5 stars What a brilliant bit of kit - over the moon with it !, 15 Feb 2012
This review is from: Morphy Richards Intellisteam 48781 Food Steamer, White (Kitchen & Home)
Having read the list of reviews for this product (which were really helpful) I decided to order it, the majority of people were singing the praises of the steamer, but I was a little apprehensive as there were a few reviews that were not so good. However, if there is an issue with an item I know Amazon will refund or it will be replaced so decided to take the chance.

I am so pleased I did - goods arrived super quick from the supplier (again I went with the one that had the best reviews - Hughes Direct, it was well packaged and no damage at all.

First try I put new potatoes in the back with the tray on top of it holding spring cabbage and some mushrooms, the front left 2 salmon fillets and the front right brocoli and carrots. I followed the really easy instructions, choosing the compartment, then the type of food that was in it. I didn't adjust the cooking times but you can do if you aren't cooking as much as I was. The fish clearly wasn't going to take as long as the rest of it and that was reflected in the time. I left it and went off and did something else for half an hour popping back to see all was going well. Everything was cooked to perfection - and I mean everything, the keep warm facility is also great as it keeps food warm for up to 40 minutes. I actually had a workout whilst I was waiting for my tea, with my old steamer I would have had to add stuff at different times and pretty much be chained to the kitchen. This allows you to go off and do other things and it takes care of everything.

It fits in the cupboard that I used before for my steamer so no hassle there, I didn't have any problem cleaning it, which I did by hand although it will go in the dishwasher - someone made a comment that cleaning needs to take place before you eat, but I didn't find it a problem doing it afterwards.

Last night I put did the same veg with the exeption of some tinned peas in one of the small compartments instead of the fish (they come with a container so you can cook things in their own liquid), peas I guessed at 5 minutes, and also added in to the same compartment a few left over potatoes to warm through - again these were perfect. I put my meat in the oven to cook on timer and went off and left it all cooking. Again perfect.

The taste is great and so far nothing has been under or over cooked. I intend to try some chicken pieces later in the week.

I would highly recommend this bit of kit.

I would have liked to have seen a preset timer button BUT I can see that it would be a bit risky, for example leaving bits of chicken at room temperature all day waiting to come on at night, but it would be nice to be able to set it up an hour before hand with something and maybe go out for a walk or bit of gardening and come back to find it cooked. Having said that it will keep stuff warm for 40 minutes so I suppose I could cook it and then leave it warming (duh my brain hurts).

I would rate this product 10 out of 10. Don't be put off by reviews of things not working, I think it's like everything you are going to get faulty ones - if this is the case it's a few days of inconvience versus the convenience and great job this steamer does.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intellisteam - a clever way to cook., 14 Oct 2010
Mr. Geoff Allen "G'Pa" (East Anglia, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a terrific toy for the kitchen; I actually bought my wife a steamer years ago for a Christmas present but it was ugly and clumsy and ended up in the charity shop.

Not so this steamer from Morphy Richards, it looks great, is really easy to use and turns out super cooked food. I have so far only used it for steaming vegetables, but what it does is sort out the timing for each kind of veg. and then make sure that they all arrive perfectly cooked at the same time. If you are not ready to serve, no worries, the steamer switches to 'keep the food warm' mode for up to forty minutes.

I think it's great.

4.0 out of 5 stars life improving, 12 Aug 2011
Cr Julien - See all my reviews
I wouldn't be without this - with a toddler & a baby it enables me to cook more veg than I would probably bother with before and to have the keep warm function is super as I don't worry too much about timing (particularly useful if I don't know exact time other half is coming home) BUT I did have to have a replacement under guarantee (buttons stuck) and then the lids broke just outside the 2 years and I am now on my second and have had the lids replaced under guarantee. I wish the quality was better (then it would be 5*) but I use this almost every day and it makes my life easier.
>>>>>>
update feb 2012, now on my second I suspect we'll find the handles come off soon. Hope this happens under guarantee. This is used daily but really they need to sort out this ungluing

4.0 out of 5 stars Good idea with snags., 12 Nov 2010
The first one of these steamers we received did not work properly. One of the heating elements under the front half did not work. We returned it and asked for a replacement.
Replacement arrived promptly and we could start to use it. Our first meal was accompanied by under-cooked vegetables. The problem is in the timings. Our old steamer, which cost about £7.00 from Asda several years ago, had only a single heater, and its water capacity was only about half that of the Morphy Richards one. This meant that it was steaming within about one minute of turning on. The M-R one holds around 4 pints of water and so takes quite a long time to start steaming and heating up the food. On our old steamer we would give potatoes and root veg such as carrots half an hour and green veg about 15 minutes. Even with the slightly longer times of 37 minutes and 25 minutes set as standard on the M-R the vegetables are not cooked properly. I am going to experiment with increasing the standard settings and saving them - which the instructions say I can do.
Another problem concerns the design of the food dishes. The sauce dishes and the rice tray are fine - but the clear food trays are so full of holes and angular corners that it is very difficult to clean them unless they are washed immediately the steaming is finished. Again, we can work around this by washing up before we eat, but I would like to have seen a more easily cleaned design.
Overall I would give it 7/10 - good try but needs some more work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intellisteam, 23 Jan 2011
R. S. Walker - See all my reviews
Works well and does what it says.

The downside is washing it up after use. The parts to be washed occupy a lot of space in the dishwasher and because of their shape retain pools of water. Washing pans seems easier.

2.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't buy another one, 14 Aug 2010
AT GE Babbington "Bonks Mum" (Bedford England) - See all my reviews
I purchased one of these from Amazon in February 2009 and initially was very impressed. After a couple of months I noticed that food in the front basket did not cook as quickly as that in the back basket but put this down to my own inefficiency. Then one of the lid handles came unglued. I struggled on with the steamer until Christmas when another handle came off so I contacted Amazon in January and they sent me a replacement.I immediately noticed the difference in cooking times with the front basket and realised the old steamer had been faulty. 6 months later the food in the front basket was not cooking properly again and a handle had come unglued. I contacted Amazon again and they have refunded my money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice upgrade, 8 Sep 2011
Great steamer and the different timers make setting up a meal and walking away easy.

Modifying the times once it has started is a pain and the tray that collects the condensed water can be difficult to empty.

I wouldn't go back though, I like this steamer lots.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice steamer, 18 May 2011
This is the best steamer we have owned and does everything we want it to. The keep warm function alone is invaluable. I would have given it 5 stars but the little printed icons on the buttons have all but worn off already - seems like just a silly cost saving on their part but leaves you having to remember which button does what. Not the end of the world but slightly irritating. Would still recommend it highly though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Morphy Richards Intellisteam 48781 food steamer, 3 Feb 2012
Great, took a little time to get use to the controls. Produced a full meal and was very pleased with the result.

5.0 out of 5 stars steamer, 27 Jan 2012
great machine the only thing wrong is the times for cooking in the book are wrong thay need longer other wise ok

Morphy Richards Intellisteam 48781 Food Steamer, White