5.0 out of 5 stars Morphy Richards Meno Heat and Dispence Unit
I was on the look for a new tea machine to replace my Tefal Quick cup Mark 2 as in my opinion was noisy and crude.
Published on 22 Aug 2010 by Maureen Brennan

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for me - not for the missus
I didn't tell the missus I was ordering this (I was supposed to order a kettle).

But when it arrived she was suitably impressed. The Meno looks excellent. You can't tell from the photo but it's proper brushed steel/metal. And it's bigger than you expect. The mini spot-lights are a pointless but nice touch.

However, there was a definite plasticky...
Published on 28 Nov 2010 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Morphy Richards Meno Heat and Dispence Unit, 22 Aug 2010
This review is from: Morphy Richards Meno One Cup 43922 Hot Water Dispenser, Black/Stainless Steel (Kitchen & Home)
I saw this in my local currys liked the look of it very modern, its works in a different way to the tefal, it boils the water like an ordinary kettle but it takes 40 secs to bring to the boil so much faster. It's not loud at all, it's not as quick as the tefal but I much prefer it. All you do is fill it with water I use a jug press the button on the front, you have a button on the top so you can adjust the amount of water reguired between 150-300mls and it has 2 little lights which gives you illumimnation a really nice feature,it also has a removable drip tray so no spillages! also if you register it on the Morphy Richards website you get a 2 year guarantee which is good to know as both my tefals broke down just after the 1yr guarantee expired. Only thing I would say is it hasn't got a removeable water tank at the back, but thats not a problem just use a jug, also you don't need a claris water filter for it. I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Meno Heat and Dispense, 31 Aug 2010
There seems to be several makes of dispensers available from the likes of Tefal, Russell Hobbs and Breville, but reviews are mixed as to their reliability and whether the water is hot enough to make a decent cup of tea. I was about to purchase the Breville VKJ318 Hot Cup when I came across this Morphy Richards Meno. It was certainly more stylish than the rest, went better with our kitchen decor and seemed to fit the bill, so despite the lack of reviews I bought it. I am glad I did, and so is my partner, she loves it (brownie points here). It takes approx 45 secs to boil and dispense the water, (the water is boiling) and makes a decent cup of tea. The Meno can be filled by lifting it off the base, which opens the reservoir lid at the same time, and held under the tap, or you can just use a jug, for people who find full kettles too heavy. There is an adjustable sliding lever to set the variable cup size, from a small cup to a large mug, so you can find a setting thats just right for you, and the cup sits on a magnetic drip tray to catch any spills. Just press the button, it lights up and off it goes, after a cup is filled there is a popping sound, which takes you by surprise to start with but this is normal and is just the Meno resetting for the next cup. There is also a safety cutout, so it won't try to boil if there is insufficient water in the reservoir. I have also found that I can use it for cooking as well, because the drip tray is oval, you can easily sit a jug underneath to make gravy, just put the cup size to max and keep pressing the button until you have the quantity of water required, I have also been able to fit pans underneath to get instant hot water for my veggies! There is a 2 year guarantee when you register on the website and mine came with an offer of a free Brita Water Filter for the cost of P&P. I have had the Meno for about a month now, (it was priced at £46 then), it gets plenty of stick every day and has been reliable so far, on that basis it gets my definite thumbs up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quicker than a quick cup...., 11 Nov 2010
J. Barker "Hoovle" (London, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace my quick cup deluxe (the boiler broke after having it 11 and a half months!) and so far I am impressed.

I would say that it is a little faster than the quick cup and is far less noisey. Furthermore, it actually boils the water, where as the quick cup raises the temperature to only near boiling. That being said, there is no water filtering on the Meno.

The product comes in three parts, a base, a drip tray and the boiling unit itself. In order to fill with water you have to remove the whole boiling unit from the base, however there is a flip up handle which automatically opens the lid to make things easier.

One other feature is a little spotlight that comes on when boiling, not important but looks good.

All in all I would definitley recomend this product. The fact that it comes with a two year gaurantee is also a big draw for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant kettle, 30 July 2010
Bought this to replace tefal quick cup. It is great. It looks very classy and expensive, dispenses boiling water and adjusts to cup size, highly recommend this product.Its quiet to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, good price, 7 Jan 2011
Chiky (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Decided to wait a month before writing a review in order to give a good feedback on it's quality etc. I bought this for my wife as she really likes drinking hot water, tea etc and I like the occasional hot chocolate. As we didn't always drink at the same time it felt like a waste to boil water all the time either boiling too much or not enough water. Hence the reason for buying this.

1st thing is the meno heat is relatively large (larger than a standard kettle). But looks very smart in a stainless steel finish and frost/smoke black plastic container for the water at the back. On the measurement it says it stores 6 cups of water which is pretty much true unless you own those very large mugs. It takes round about 40-45 secs for the water to boil and come out and the sound is no louder than a normal kettle boiling, probably just slightly quieter when compared to my Breville kettle that I use. There is a handle on the top which you pull up in order to take the unit out from the base and it will open the hole to pour the water in as you lift the handle up. There is a sliding adjuster at the top so you can work out how much water you would like in your cup. There is a stop button as well in case it is too much, both very easy buttons to push. As the water comes out 2 lights come on which illuminates the cup as the water is pouring and switches off when the water stops. The water is very hot but I don't think it is as hot as a conventional kettle can boil it. When the water finishes coming out normally it makes a sound, difficult to describe its like when you get pressure problems with your tap and a spurt of water comes out, it makes that kind of sound but it's just air. Took me by suprise at first and had to check the manual but it says that is normal as it is resetting the machine ready for the next cup. Great having a magent drip tray on the bottom so I don't have to worry about any spillages on the worktop.

I really like this product however there are a few things that stops this from getting 5 stars. There isn't a built in filter you will need to purchase a separate water filter jug to pour in. This maybe ok or not ok for some people but thought I should mention. I live in hardwater area anyway (London) so already have a jug and to be honest I did find that pouring from the jug felt a lot safer that collecting from the tap directly. Also it does get very heavy quickly once you fill with water so probabably not recommended to be holding under a tap, especially for those who may not be that strong. You wouldn't be able to place in the sink and fill up by tap as the bottom has to connnect with the base unit and would not be happy being wet as that is the electrical part. The adjusting slider for the water is a bit hit and miss, it's not very accurate and I had to use it a few times to adjust properly. There are times where you would have to stand next to it just in case it is too much water and need to press the stop button. The water storage on the back is great but because it is made of smokey/black frost plastic it is difficult to see how much water is left inside and every now and again I would find out I had no water left and only half a cup of hot water. The 2 lights over the cup when dispensing is very nice to look at but more of a gimmick as it switches off when the water stops dispensing. I think it would have been more useful to have the lights stay on for a little while longer as your taking the cup away so can see a little bit better.

Apart from these relatively minor niggles it does exactly what it says it does and very well too. My friend has a Tefal Quick Cup the latest model and I found it very loud and quite small so could only really place low height cups under it. The Morphy Richards looks great, very smart and stylish. The water is very hot with an easy to use adjuster. It can fit pretty much most cups and sizes. If they can perfect the small problems then it would be a perfect 5 star product. If there is anything I haven't covered here please ask me and I will try to answer as best as I can! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best one-cup boiler out there, 16 Feb 2011
C. K. Robinson (London, UK) - See all my reviews
A couple of years ago we tried the Tefal One-Cup, and it was so disappointing. We went back to a normal kettle. When that died, we looked again and found the Meno, and read good reviews...
3 months of daily use later, I add another 5* to the growing list.
While it does the essence of what a kettle does, i.e. boil water, do be aware that it only dispenses a certain amount at a time, so it is not ideal if you're making lots of coffees, or a large pot of tea. It is no more fiddly to fill than a kettle, but we do use a filter jug to transfer from the tap, and to cut down the limescale in London (I don't know how one can descale a Meno, so maybe this is a future flaw?). It's no more noisy than a quiet kettle, and yes, it does 'break wind' when it's done its thing. Other than, the only room I would suggest for improvement would be a more accurate means of adjusting the volume of water dispensed - the slider is loose and there is no scale or other means to set the volume. However, in practise, the smallest amount is good for our small coffee cups, the biggest is right for our big tea mugs, and the middle is about right for our 'normal' sized mugs. A pint is about a 'biggest and smallest'.
So, so far, so very good. You might want a kettle in the cupboard for when you need to boil a litre or more, and I don't know how to descale a Meno. But if it lasts the two years it is guaranteed for, then it has also saved some money...

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for me - not for the missus, 28 Nov 2010

However, there was a definite plasticky taste for a few days - but that completely passes. Unfortunately, that had her looking for faults.

And there's the problem - I like fairly hot coffee. She likes BOILING HOT tea. And the Meno just won't do it.

A friend of ours got the Breville ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001L5SSGQ?ie=UTF8&tag=w3t-21 ) It doesn't look as nice but it IS hot (actually, the blue light does look pretty cool). The Meno has now moved into my home office and we have a cheap Tesco's kettle in the kitchen. Everyone's happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Tea maker so far, 11 Jan 2011
Best Tea maker so far, I had a Tefal Quick cup Mk 1 that stopped working after a 9 months. I liked not using a kettle so upgraded to the Mk 2 and that also stopped working, emailed Tefal but not had a reply back. Anyway read the feedback about the Meno One Cup and thought I give this one a try. So far so good, much better than the Quick Cup, no noise, in fact I,m glad the Tefal has broken as this ones a improvement. To be honest I,m not even going to chase Tefal to get the it Fixed, the Menos a keeper, wife moaned about the old one but loves the new one.
No filter needed, Looks good, Not noisy, defiantly five stars

4.0 out of 5 stars Morphy Richards Meno, 22 Dec 2010
We bought this as my hubby is gadget mad and we've always fancied a hot water tap. We live in a very hard water area and so our kettle is terrible as a result of re-boiling water (we try hard not to but it is difficult). The one cup meant we'd only boil the water we need and never re-boil, so we thought we'd give it a go as the price was barely more than an average kettle anyway (we got it for £50 mark). I was a little sceptical about what would happen if I needed a saucepan of boiling water, for which I would normally boil the kettle, so we had a race - Meno vs Kettle. It took longer to boil the kettle than it took to make 7 cups on the one cup - hence filling the saucepan faster than the kettle, which was a good selling point for me (the kettle having been a reasonably good kettle with the same wattage/ampage/power rating as the Meno). I have not given the Meno 5 stars as it is still just off boiling for gravy - tea is too hot to drink immediately after making it so it is very close to boiling point compared with a lot of hot water taps, but it doesn't make my gravy thick - possibly because I have to get 2 cups made, in which time it's cooled by a few degrees. There has been a definite improvement in the limescale department - by now a new kettle would have had a good coating of sediment, but there is no evidence anywhere on the Meno yet. I strongly recommend this product - particularly good for people that don't want to lift kettles of boiling water - I am now not worried about my 8 year old making me a brew (which she has never done to date) - it seems perfectly safe to get the hot water straight into the mug, rather than having to tip up and aim a kettle - also probably a very good idea for elderly people who don't have the strength to lift a kettle reliably (like my grandma). You have to have a few goes to get the setting right for the amount of water you need and it is very sensitive, but works for all but our very largest one pint mug! Overall, we love it and think it was a great buy. Bye bye kettle!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kind of a Ronseal type of thing, 10 Nov 2011
Here's my thoughts.

I bought this for £41, which is in the mid to decent kettle price range.
And I like this for all that it does or doesn't do.
It's a little bigger, but not much, than a standard 1.8L kettle.
It looks pretty smart, is well put together and the gizmo light makes me smile each time it dispenses me a hot cup of tea/coffee/cup-a-soup etc.
It produces water too hot to drink straight away, even when dispensed into a cold cup/mug, which i find as a positive.
It boils what i need much quicker than my previous kettle did.
It boils only what i need, rather than too much, as was always the case with my previous kettle, that of course being down to my inability to judge how much i needed. That issue is removed with this device.
Yes it has, for a few days only, a plastic taste in the water. My two previous plastic kettles did that, so i'm hardly shocked, nor bothered by that. It goes away. Why wouldn't it?
Keep your old kettle for pasta etc. I drink more hot drinks than eat pasta so it's no big deal to keep the old kettle in the cupboard for its irregular use.
It's a doddle to fill up. I use a Brita water filter jug as i live in a hard water area. You only have to raise an arm to the rear of the machine to open a flap and just pour the water directly into it from the Brita jug like you would a normal kettle. Or if you like lift it off the base plate (similar design to other cordless kettles), do the same arm raising action, but fill direct from the tap.
Given it's 1.8L's it's not much heavier than a standard kettle once full, if weight is a concern.
It has mug markers on the side of the water jug area, so you can put in exactly what you want if that's easier. Me, i just fill it up with filtered water and it lasts roughly a couple of days. Given it only boils the water it draws you're not constantly boiling the same water, which obviously keeps the lime-scale down too.
Once a month or so i de-scale it. it's no different than doing a normal kettle. Chuck in a sachet of de-scaling product and run it through the machine, then run clean water through, then carry on using like normal. I think this is easier to do than a kettle, but there's not much in it.
And the days of carrying a kettle full of boiling water across the kitchen are over. This is ideal for kids, elderly, couples and smaller families, though i have read it dispenses 1.8L's of hot water quicker than the average kettle can boil it, so i guess it's suitable for all really.

Summary? Cracking item, does what you would hope it would do and looks really nice at a very nice price too.