4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Melody, but a damn good effort!
I honestly don't know why people are cutting into this album. I feel that most of the tracks on this album are very good, some of the tracks even better than the originals!

Published on 29 May 2010 by Stella N. Garcia

3.0 out of 5 stars A Few Good Tracks, But Plenty Of Fillers
I have been a massive fan of Sharleens since the Texas days and I was worried that when Texas took some time out that we wouldnt hear from her again. My worries proved unfounded when she embarked on a solo career.

Sharleen's Sixties sounding album "Melody" was excellent and had some brilliant tracks, but was very underated which was a huge shame...
Published on 28 Feb 2010 by Mellow Yellow

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Melody, but a damn good effort!, 29 May 2010
Stella N. Garcia "Canyon" (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Movie Songbook (Audio CD)

I think that there are about two tracks on here where I am not a huge fan of the originals, but even though, I have to say, this makes for a pretty good album. I was particuarly impressed by the slow, smokey bar numbers, God Bless the Child,
Windmills of your Mind and This ones from the Heart.

I urge you guys to try listening to this album and giving it another try. ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharleen Spiteri scores again with Movie Songbook!, 11 Mar 2010
Okay, I'm like every other Texas fan...I've been listening to Sharleen Spiteri rock the house for the last twenty years. I feel that I know her voice well enough to single her out in Grand Central Station! So, I was delighted with her first solo effort, "Melody".

When I heard the news regarding Songbook, I thought, "An album of soundtracks? In a Lady Gaga kinda decade? Wow, what a ballsy chick!" Well, I really don't share Sharleen's love of movie soundtracks but I bought the cd anyway...well, because....that's what fans do.

I can't tell you how happy I am that Ms. Spiteri has the mondo-sized cojones that she does!:) The album is killer! The music is lush and as always, Sharleen's voice is exquisite. HOWEVER, what stole my heart is the range of songs that she choose and how she presents them. This is no ordinary cover album! She puts her own spin and personality into each and every selection. She's coy and tongue-in-cheek with, "Pretty Woman" and "What's New Pussycat?". Something for the girls.:) "If I Can't Have You" is better than the original (by far) and "Many Rivers To Cross" is just beautiful! "God Bless The Child", "This One's From The Heart" and "Cat People (Putting Out Fire)" all make me want to pour myself a dry martini (shaken, not stirred) and hang out in a piano bar. But my favorite track is "Sound of Silence". I've always loved that song and once wrote the lyrics in my journal in a moment of teenage angst. Sharleen Spiteri's rendition made me remember that moment in vivid detail. Additionally, this deluxe set has a 7 inch vinyl and a cd of demos. I'd love to thank whomever decided to include the demos. They are wonderful and have an intimate feel to them. Great inclusions! I swear, if I didn't mind poverty, I'd quit my job and follow her tour around the country shouting, "More, MORE!"

Now, don't get me wrong, this isn't an annoying pop album that you shove into the car cd player and bebop on down the road. No, this is a grown-up's album, best enjoyed on surround-sound, sipping a glass of wine with candle-light (lover/bubble-bath optional). Any less of an atmosphere will rob "Movie Songbook" of it's greatest effect! Buy this album...or,trust me...one day you'll think, "This is a PERFECT moment for Songbook! Why didn't I buy it when I had the chance?" :)

PS if you guys in the UK don't appreciate the gem you have in Spiteri, you could always loan her to us in the States! We Yanks know good music when we hear it! ;)

3.0 out of 5 stars A Few Good Tracks, But Plenty Of Fillers, 28 Feb 2010
Mellow Yellow (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Movie Songbook (Audio CD)

However, Sharleen is back, this time with an album of covers and what a mistake this is. Do not get me wrong there are some cracking tracks on the album including "Xanadu", "If I Can't Have You", "The Sound Of Silence" and "Take My Breath Away" but what is going on with some of the other tracks. She has turned into a crooner and this style really does not suit her at all. Even "Xanadu" when I first heard it on the radio, didnt sound like Sharleen, in fact I thought it was Olivia Newtown John as it sounded identical to her version. If you are going to do a cover of such a fabulous song and you have the tremendous voice that Sharleen has why on earth wouldnt you put your own mark on it? Its a real shame.

I hate writing negative reviews which is why I have given her 3 stars instead of 2. I really like Sharleen Spiteri but this is abit of a disappointing release from her.

1.0 out of 5 stars Karoke disaster, 3 April 2010
Mr. Scott P. Wheeler "Scotti" (Shropshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Oh dear, I've been listening & purchasing Sharleen Spiteri since I Don't Want A Lover with Texas all those years ago. Occasionally over the years she's put out a track which has been grating but after the last solo album I thought this might be a new era of interesting music. Even after I found out this was an album of cover versions I wasn't put off. After all some artists have pulled it off in the past. But no, this is not the case. Imagine your favourite songs killed in the style of x-factor runner-ups - you know the voice is potentially good but over the dodgy backing tracks it just doesn't work. Sharleen, for pitys sake please get back to Texas (only avoid any dodgy Method Man/RZA collaborations please).

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice But Dim !!, 16 Mar 2010
This review is from: The Movie Songbook (Audio CD)
I love the sound of Sharleen Spiteri's vocal chords and when I saw this album, I thought..interesting!!! However, whilst she does a good job on all the songs, there is nothing really improved on the originals and the album in total falls short. It's very 'lounge music' in flavour and the collection is too nice and unadverturous. I expected a rip-roaring rendition of the Prince-penned 'Take Me With You' and a sublime 'Take My Breath Away' but both are very mediocre. 'The Sound of Silence' and 'Windmills of my Mind' are enjoyable, whilst 'Oh! Pretty Woman' is just awful. A mixed bag, but really doesn't add much to my CD collection.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wish I was in texas, 12 April 2010
This review is from: The Movie Songbook (Audio CD)
It is my own fault, I guess I should have not assumed that these would songs would have an individual twist to them. I love Texas and Sharleen's voice is haunting - but as far as I am concerned, it was all lost on these songs. I love a sing a long in the car as much as anyone, and that was the purpose of this purchase. It didn't do it for me though - sorry. I have given this a 3* rather than a 2* though because fans of musicals will like it, I was hoping for something more.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Highs, Some Lows, Mostly in the Middle, 10 Jun 2014
Mark Syder (Prescot, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Movie Songbook (Audio CD)
I have the deluxe version of this CD but, as that appears to be no longer available to buy, I'll restrict this review to the songs that are on the standard release.

The disc starts promisingly with Xanadu. I've been an ELO fan since before Texas were formed, but after I heard this version for the first time I preferred it to the original. Then comes If I Can't Have You. Again, for this listener, an improvement on the original.

Then it started to go downhill. A great deal of what follows is piano-bar music: inoffensive background music, but not something I want to actively listen to. The remaining tracks that I actively enjoyed were Cat People (Putting Out Fire) and Many Rivers to Cross. In the case of the former, I was pleasantly surprised at how different it was from David Bowie's version, as a long-standing Bowie fan.

The songs I haven't mentioned are at best background music. It's interesting to note that one of the tracks on the second disc (currently unavailable) is Streets of Philadelphia. It's a shame they couldn't discard one of the "background-music" songs to make way for this on the main disc.

3.0 out of 5 stars No surprise, 18 Feb 2014
Bertrand Dominique "Peace and harmony" (Geneva, Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Movie Songbook (Audio CD)
Sharleen Spiteri has a beautiful voice of course, but the songs are well-known and she is better with the originality of Texas.

5.0 out of 5 stars sharleen spiteri, 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Movie Songbook (Audio CD)
the second album I have just bought still good value for money and also as good as first will buy more

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Movie Song Book (MP3 Download)
Sharleen has such a great voice and this album shows her in a different light, each song is a joy to hear, unlike many who totally change the tone of the original song Sharleen keeps it simple and does each song the justice they deserve.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Movie Songbook
The Movie Songbook by Sharleen Spiteri (Audio CD - 2010)