5.0 out of 5 stars Never, EVER undestimate a novel. Particularly THIS one!
When I opted to check Fallen out, I did so believing it was going to be a straightforward dark fantasy adventure. Then I started reading it and began to cringe. I'd picked up a teenage romance novel (admittedly not my first choice of genre) or so I thought.

Published on 23 May 2010 by R. Wood

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed this
Published on 9 Mar 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed this, 9 Mar 2011
Lucinda's just been enrolled at a reform school, only she doesn't belong with the other kids and hasn't done anything wrong. Her parents think she may have mental health issues, even though she tells them that the childhood shadows she always saw following her no longer exist. Only thing is, the shadows are very much there - they were there the night Trevor died and though she remembers nothing of what happened to him many still see her as a suspect.

The other kids at Sword and Cross Reform School are a motley bunch of new offenders and reoffenders - except Penn. Penn has a different story - all the kids here have a story, but the only story Lucinda's interested in is Daniel's. From the moment Lucinda first sees Daniel she feels as though they know eachother and she feels that they share a connection...so why is he one of the people whose most hostile toward her? Another boy is so much more attentive to Lucinda and at first she's grateful to have someone who seems to care. Only Cam isn't Daniel, even though being with him sometimes makes her wonder why she doesn't just give the guy a break.

The author's writing is wonderfully descriptive. It was easy to picture what all the people in this book looked and acted like. I could imagine the way the reform school and practically smell the swampiness of the surrounding area.

My main gripe about this book is the pacing. For a while we were gently moving along - at first I thought it was too slow, but then I settled down - when all of a sudden Cam acts as a catalyst that sees a major battle between the 'kind of, sort of good' and the 'downright evil' being played out. Then the action was over in an instant and we have the epilogue that prepares the way for the sequel... No. I wasn't happy with the pacing at all.

I liked the 'Fallen Angel' element. Which of the reform kids or faculty are human and who's a little more than they first appear to be?

5.0 out of 5 stars Never, EVER undestimate a novel. Particularly THIS one!, 23 May 2010
R. Wood "ryecroftwood2" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The one thing reading Fallen has taught me (and this should apply to all readers), it's that one should never underestimate a book. Because it's greatest power is always that it can surprise you. And that's what Lauren Kate has done with her (quite frankly) enthralling read.

Fallen focuses on one Lucinda Price, a narcissist teenager with a horrific past. Lucinda has been sent off by her parents to Sword & Cross reform school. Immediately, Luce finds herself struggling to fit in with the strict regime of the school, as well as trying to find her place among all the other misfits she's landed up with. And to cap it all off, Luce is head-over-heels in love with Daniel Grigori, a distant, cold teenager who couldn't care less about her.

It may sound so simple, but like epics such as The Gargoyle (Andrew Davidson), The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins) and The Kin (Gillian Wallace), Fallen becomes so much than its premise implies. And that's because of how Lauren guides her story.

There is a plot to Fallen, but it doesn't come into play until the last few chapters. The majority of the book is purely character-driven, with Kate keeping the primary focus on Luce and chronicling her struggles to adapt and survive in the harsh environment of Sword & Cross. Then the author throws the characters (one-by-one) into the mix, and before long, you witness a colourful cast germinate and interact before you.

It's certainly a creative way of establishing all the characters before getting into the thick of things. In the long term, it's a wise course of action as well, as the Fallen series is planned to span across four books. So if we're going to go on a long journey, we want to get to know, love and hate all the protagonists/antagonists.

Throughout the novel, many supernatural elements are touched upon and hinted at, but it isn't until the final chapters when the whole complexity of Fallen changes entirely. Revelations and plot twists kick in and will shock you to the core. And there's nothing cheap about any of it, because the whole read is just wonderfully paced and builds-up to a rip-roaring climax that will leave you hungering for more.

Lauren Kate has certainly gotten her Fallen series off to a strong start. She certainly has a strong understanding of character. Time will tell if her plotting can pay off. I'm certainly intrigued to find out more after such a strong start. Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars If you're a fan of Twilight, you'll probably like this. Otherwise, avoid!, 11 July 2013
This review was originally posted at: [...]

"What if the person you were meant to be with could never be yours?"
Luce, Fallen by Lauren Kate

I have seen Fallen by Lauren Kate many times when I have visited book stores over the past 3-4 years. Each time, the book cover caught my eye and I read the blurb on the back of the book. I always concluded that the blurb sounded boring and appeared to fall solidly in the Twilight kind-of genre, where the main plot is a romance and anything supernatural is a sub-plot at best. Last month, when I visited the library, I caught sight of this book again. I decided that I would give it a whirl, based solely on how great the book cover is.

Fallen tells the story of Lucinda "Luce" Price, a seventeen year old girl who appears to suffer from delusions; she claims to be able to see dark and menacing shadows. As a result, she has been to see therapists and took anti-psychotic drugs for a while. Things take a turn for the worse when she sneaks off with a boy she likes, and he mysteriously dies in a fire. While the Police suspect Luce, there isn't enough evidence and she is sent to a reform school called Sword and Cross in Savannah, Georgia. While at the school, Luce meets Daniel and Cam, thus creating a love triangle. Luce is instantly and inexplicably drawn to Daniel because she feels certain she has met him before. Daniel is less than friendly to Luce, flipping her off the first time they meet. Luce is persistent though and with the help of Penn, she investigates who Daniel is. Then there is Cam. Cam is very friendly with Luce, and she enjoys the attention she receives from him. He buys her gifts and takes her on two dates; one outside the school gates, which does not end well! All the while, the shadows appear to be getting stronger and more prevalent; they sometimes hurt Luce and then there is the second mysterious fire. Will Luce choose Daniel or Cam? Will Luce figure out who Daniel is? Will Luce survive the menacing shadows that seem to be getting stronger?

I struggled to write the book summary to be honest. There isn't much that happens outside of the love triangle, so it was hard to write a plot that was longer than a sentence or two. Overall, I did not like Fallen at all. I am surprised because the book scores an average of 4 out of 5 (out of 296 reviews) on Amazon.co.uk. A large number of reviews (114 out of 296) describe the book as "enthralling", "interesting story", "intense" and a "thrilling and dark" story. I honestly feel like I read a different book! I think that some of the reviewers for Fallen will agree with me (those who gave the book a 1 (22 out of 296) or 2 (30 out of 296) star. This book was anything but enthralling. I found that the book had a very slow pace, with very few plot points occurring in each chapter to push the story along and it offered nothing new. Everything that happened in the book has been done before in other fantasy fiction, plus the things that did happen were predictable. I wasn't surprised when anything happened in the book.

The love triangle was the main plot in the story, and I found it frustrating throughout. There was an unbelievable number of cliché's which left me rolling my eyes or feeling nauseated, plus everything was so melodramatic. For example, "Her heart raced as Daniel stepped toward her, placing both hands on her shoulders. His thumbs fit perfectly along the grooves of her collarbone, and she wanted to close her eyes at the warmth of his touch--but she didn't. She watched as Daniel bowed his head so his nose was nearly touching hers. She could feel his breath on her face. She could smell a hint of sweetness on his skin..." This kind of writing is continuous throughout the book. Once Luce has met Daniel and Cam her every moment is consumed by them. She weighs up what she likes and dislikes about each one, leans towards one and then the other, and agonizes over what Daniel has said and done. She also continuously seeks out Daniel to the point where he suggests she is stalking him. It really did seem like that, and while Luce does admit it, she continues regardless. It is the amount of obsession and complaining that bothered me. It's really unhealthy and I don't think it's appropriate for young, impressionable readers to admire Luce. Finally, the constant references to Daniel and Cam's appearance were annoying. I really didn't need to be constantly reminded how handsome both boys are, in particular the description of Daniel as sculpted (e.g., sculpted shoulders) and or how green and alluring Cam's green eyes were.

The paranormal aspect of the book played a very small part. I can't say too much here without giving anything away. Essentially, I was disappointed because it confirmed that this book is essentially just another high school (or in this case reform school) romance where a paranormal element is added but not really explored (just like in Twilight). I understand that this book is a four book series and so book one is essentially establishing the romance and the next three books will explore it. However, considering book one should still be a story in its own right, one that's interesting, I feel like it completely failed. I'd rather have jumped right in at the end and read the story from there. Also, I doubt the author's style of writing or the predominant focus on the romance will change enough for me to like the series. I am convinced of this because once Luce discovers what Daniel really is near the end, the book jumps straight into a battle without much explanation. The reader misses what happens during this battle (and this would probably have been the only interesting part of the book had it been included) as Luce and Penn get to safety.

Final Verdict: I would not recommend this book unless you are a fan of Twilight. If however, like me, you really don't like Twilight, avoid this book because I think it is worse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Romance, angels and mystery!, 31 Mar 2012
I am a twilight fan and this was the first paranormal romance i read afterwords. I havnt compared it to twilight as its a book in its own right.
Im prob a bit older than intended audience (im 22) but i loved it, and i didnt feel too old for it.

The characters are likable and interesting, it can take a chapter or so to get into it, i was thinking in the first chapter i wouldn't like it, however it drew me in and and i couldn't put the book down again....i carried it around with me reading lines when ever i could.

The story is sown up and all the mystery is all brought together at the end which gives a great and full ending to the book which i feel many books lack.

I wish it had a little more romance in it though!

This is the first in the series and its incredibly captivating book. It has romance, mystery and twists. It a nice read.

I would recommend this to anyone who wants a good paranormal romance novel!

Please rate my review as helpful :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Never judge a book by its cover, 30 Jun 2013
I really, really didn't enjoy this book at all. It's got an absolutely beautiful cover and the blurb sounded so promising, but it was so bad, I just couldn't finish it. I seldom give up on books halfway through, but by page 167, I was utterly sick of shallow boy-mad Luce, and her fellow inmates of barely developed characters who have been penned to people the reform school she has somehow ended up in. Even Daniel, the main character, was lacking in any depth or development.

I really didn't like the way that this was part of a four book saga and clearly would not work as a standalone story. The pacing was terrible - much too slow whilst the reader was required to follow the vagaries of Luce's inane and inconsequential mental ramblings.

The story is unlikely (yes, I know it's a fantasy novel aimed at YA readers, but fantasy novels should make sense within their own worlds), but there's just too many unlikely things to get over here. A man with no parents and no real criminal history ending up in there? How? A girl from the privileged background which Luce has come from ending up in that particular reform school? Even more unlikely. Orphaned children being adopted by the Headteacher? I don't think so. It's absolutely ridiculous is what it is - the practicalities of setting up the story let it down - and that's before you even get onto the supernatural stuff.

I'm sure that this might be enjoyed by younger readers. Another reviewer has advised to stay away from this if you are over 16. I can't help but agree. It might be terribly romantic and believeable if you are 14. Any older and it's just nonsensical drivel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, and stays with you, 22 Oct 2011
I only picked up this book for a quick read, as I didn't realise there are two more in the series. After reading a few of the early chapters, I decided to look at the reviews to see what others thought of the story and from the 3 and a half star average rating, I was a little worried I wouldn't like this book. But surprisingly enough, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It's a bit typical and similar to the other fantasy romances there are at the moment, but I think that Fallen is still unique in it's own way, and is a book with a treasure inside. I felt a rollercoaster of emotions as I read, and I got the shivers everytime there was a romantic part :)

For me, Fallen was everything it claimed to be. It was thrilling, and the forbidden love is heart-breaking and the characters were all so alive. I found myself thinking of the story wherever I went; being in town in shops and suddenly remembering Cam's sweetness and Daniel's rejection. If a story can do so much as to fill up your conscious mind, then I'm sure it's a powerful one.

I am definitely not disappointed in reading this, and I'm looking forward to Torment. To those of you who are unsure of reading this book, try it out 'cause there's always the chance you'll love it as much as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chilling, exciting supernatural romance!, 11 Dec 2009
I picked this book up yesterday as I saw the cover and LOVED IT - its dark, mysterious and beautiful - just like the story inside! I don't want to focus on Twilight because nearly everyone compares their books to Twilight nowadays and there are loads of copycats out there, but as a fan of these types of books, I really think this book has everything Twilight offers and more (plus its about angels, not vampires!) It's one of those books which you start reading and you can't stop. The story begins when Luce, our main character, arrives at a new school under mysterious circumstances and meets a boy who she is drawn to and who she is sure she has met before. Lots of twists and turns later, the story gets more and more exciting as you go on, and has everything you'd want from a novel - gorgeous boys (good and bad!), a love triangle, romance, best friends, mystery, action and a great fight at the end! I can't wait for the next one now ........... hurry up and finish writing it please Lauren Kate!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Angels are the new Vampires!!, 11 Dec 2009
C. Jeffery (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Two star crossed lovers are caught between heaven and hell being torn apart by the very thing that draws them together...

Lauren Kate's Gothic romance seeths with the archetypal tumult of star-crossed passions, in which the supernatural element serves as heady spice. Lucinda and her fallen angel channel Romeo and Juliet, Heathcliff and Cathy, their audience falls under the spell of a love that is not only undying, but immortal.

Fallen will leave you wanting more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Review by Patricia's Particularity, 2 Aug 2011
Patricia Leppla (Tucosn, AZ) - See all my reviews
Luce Price is 'shipped' off to Sword and Cross after a fire incident. At Sword and Cross she meets some very unusual people... Cam - attractive, upfront, and bluntly into Luce, but he has a 'bad' side too. Arriana- all over the place, causing Luce to be confused about her motives towards her. Penn - probably the most "normal" girl at Sword and Cross with a vast knowledge of the school's history.

And then there is Daniel - handsome, mysterious, and clearly does not want anything to do with Luce. But Luce can not get him out of her head and thoughts, and she does not know why. All she knows is there is something very familiar about him, she just cannot put her finger on it.

While trying to find her place in Sword and Cross, and trying to figure out who she can really trust, Luce soon becomes faced with a reality that she does not know she can handle. Will she choose Cam or Daniel? Can she trust either at all? Either way, she must choose one, and choose a side in a battle that she has no choice but to be in.

While it took a few chapters for the book to really get going, I loved the development in the beginning of the book - too many times these days there is lacking in that department (if at all). Lauren Kate's use of this development really made all the characters seem alive and real. Another thing Lauren Kate did very well was her descriptions; I was able to clearly imagine Sword and Cross and how dark and dank it was, as if I was really there. I for one, can not wait for the sequel, as the ending of the book was a huge cliffhanger!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable, 15 April 2011
Fallen was one of the first books i read after the twilight series and it has blown those books out of the water.

It all starts with one troubled teen, Lucinda price (Luce) who is sent to a reform school called Sword & Cross. She was sent there when her boyfriend was killed in a freak fire and all evidence pointed towards her. Once there she meets Arrianne, a energetic and slightly crazy girl who has also been sent to S&C and is friends with the elusive daniel. As soon as Luce meets Daniel she feels like she has met him before, but has she...

I won't tell your more you'll have to find ou tfor yourself but i would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good puzzle to figure out and who loves a surprise ending.

The amazing thing about this book is it describes the difficulty of forgetting your past beautifully and makes the characters believable. It makes you feel for them when they are having trouble or are happy. But it also includes a gripping end that leads into the next book and makes you want to read on.

Hopefully this will be one of the best books You've ever read.