5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant!!!!
My daughter is 13 years old and she has decided to write the review.

Published on 22 Aug 2011 by CarolP

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the book I'm afraid
Whilst Kerry Shale does get some of the voices right - by which I mean of course as I imagine them to be - too many others sound like pantomime characters - heavily accented and exaggerated. However, this is not the biggest failing of the audio CD. What is not obvious is that this is an abridged version of the book. As such a lot of chapters have been left out including...
Published on 5 April 2007 by Brian Birch

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant!!!!, 22 Aug 2011
My daughter is 13 years old and she has decided to write the review.

The inheritance cycle is such a good journey that everybody in the world should read. It is easily my favourite series of all time squishing the harry Potter series into the dust, along with the spooks or the anthony rider series as well. I spent my read these books as much as I could during my summer holidays and i could never seem to put it down, reading hour after hour after hour. the detail is so perfect that I felt like I knew the characters myself and It made me want to join the Varden and fight Galbatorix.

I would recomend these books to anybody I knew and hope so much that there will be a continue of somesort from inheritance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eragon, 7 April 2013
This review is from: Eragon: Book One (The Inheritance cycle) (Kindle Edition)
I have battled alongside all within this adventure, I would recommend to everyone who likes to read and get their self lost in a different world.

5.0 out of 5 stars eragon, 19 May 2010
Mrs. C. A. Sadd "aye buddy" (england) - See all my reviews
First Thing i should say is that i dont read very often, Its only since i started latest job ive had enough time to settle down with a good book.
I will tell you this much though i picked this book up and couldnt put it down. The whole world seemed to stop just because the story was so compelling.
Eragon is a story of an ordinary boy who (for reasons unknown in this book) was left with his uncle and cousin on a farm. His whole life is then changed when he finds a shiny rock in the forboding area the spine, where many dont dare enter for its ominance with magic and death.
his whole life changes from that day and when the stone hatches he embarks on the journey of a life time to become the first of a new line of dragon riders who were thought extinct. Well all excepting King galbatorix.
The best thing about Eragon is he is imperfect. he makes mistakes constantly to the point at some points you feel like shouting get some sense boy! fortunately he has a number of people around him that help him survive each encounter. The truyth of the matter is that even though eragon is the main character and the story revovles around him the other characters are what makes this book flow so well and there stories entwined with his are what make the story interesting.
I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys fantasy books even though many have told me its a cheap version of lord of the rings, I disagree this feels alot easier to read and spends less time talking about the history that takes you away from the story and more entwines history into the story always leaving you with questions that keep you interested

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as Tolkien, yes really., 9 Oct 2013
Pangela "pangela" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eragon: Book One (The Inheritance cycle) (Kindle Edition)
Firstly, this is not a poor mans Lord of the Rings. I am a huge Tolkien fan, and this is as good as his work. I don't know if Paolini has created such an in depth world as Tolkien to the point where he has created whole new languages and extra books that provide back stories for everything, but that is not a fault. From a readers perspective, it is as good.

I am on the third book of the cycle and it is an epic. That is not a word to be used lightly in the world of literature but this truly deserves it. The characters are all so different, and real. The writing style is easy, dare I say easier to read than Tolkien. The writing draws you in very easily, and by the time you have read a whole book, you have lived every page with the characters.

I find the world created is so real that I use it as an escape. Somewhere I immerse myself in when I need to go and be somewhere else.

There are twists and turns, and sometimes you feel you might be one step ahead of the characters, but not often. The epic struggle between good and evil is played out, but there are shades of grey in some of the characters that make them somewhere in the middle, which is refreshing.

I know there is a film made, and I haven't watched it. I have my own idea what everyone looks like, and I am so fond of the books, that I think the only person who should ever be trusted to film it is Peter Jackson. He would do all the books and stay faithful to them.

Please note, there is a book available that is written by someone else as a resource bringing all the place names and characters together and providing a kind of dictionary of them. "Wonderful" you might say, "I am struggling to keep track of everyone". It is a good resource, but don't buy it until you have read all the books, it is full of spoilers. I bought it and found out something in it that I should not have known until the third or fourth book!

4.0 out of 5 stars I pored over each word with every fibre of my being., 25 Sep 2009
Pastychomper (Caithness, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I read this book because I thought the film rushed through the story too quickly. Sure enough, I liked the book a lot more - though I couldn't help thinking I'd have enjoyed it more if I'd read it when I was 13 instead of 30.

The plot has one or two weak points and there's a feeling of deja vu for anyone familiar with the genre, but for all that it is a good story. The only thing I struggled with was the author's style: he seemed to me to be trying too hard to make it impressive, so that the good characters use all their skill and spend every last shred of energy at every task, and always seem to have just enough time for some dramatic last words or last-minute action, while the bad guys have evil-sounding names and live in appropriately grim landscapes. I kept wishing that just once, someone would make a silly mistake or come across a landscape - or a tool - that looked ordinary. It was enough to put me off reading the next book, at least for a while, although as this appears to be Paolini's first book things might calm down a bit later on.

I liked the comparison between Eragon and Star Wars. It strikes me that the Star Wars film trigoly released in the '70s showed episodes 4, 5 and 6 because episodes 1, 2 and 3 just weren't as good. Now that the Inheritance Cycle has stretched to three and a half books, there may be great things ahead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 5 Mar 2012
I watched the movie Eragon a few years back when my Sister bought the DVD, she loves the books and has looked forward to the complete series for months! I must admit that it didn't sound like the type of thing I would normally go for so I didn't take her advice and read the books. I purchased the complete hardback box-set for her Christmas and since it was a great deal I bought a set for my own library. This turned out to be one of the best decisions I'd made that month. I had enjoyed the film but it wasn't one of my favorites. The book (like 99% of the time) was 100 times better than the movie, I was hooked, I couldn't put it down. The adventure was great and I connected immediately to the characters and felt their struggles, pain and joy. I read the first book whenever I could find a few minutes in-between tasks and had it finished in just a few days, Im now halfway through the second and things are just getting better! I think at times it is possible to tell that Paolini is young when he writes but that only makes me more impressed that he has come with such a great story and characters at the age of just 15 and had the confidence to go out and make them a worldwide success!

I look forward to the remainder of the journey, I have recommended this book to my family and friends, who I know will enjoy it just as much as I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, 12 Oct 2009
I was browsing books when the cover for Eragon caught my attention. After reading the blurb I decided to give it a go. Once I started reading Eragon I couldn't out it down. I love the relationship between Eragon and his dragon, Saphira. This book has almost everything in it - action, adventure and even a bit of romance thrown in. I love the plot and how Eragon and Saphira develop together. We learn more about the mysterious character of Brom and how he fits into the story. I find it very interesting when the author, Paolini, uses his made up language, the ancient language. It is very impressive to find that not only was he 15 when he started writing this book but that he also made up a language to go with it! This book is so good that I am considering buying the audio book to listen to on my iPod! I can't think of anything negative to say about it except that it is a tiny bit too long. I also like how their is a map of the area the story is based on.

This is a novel I would recommend to everyone who enjoys a good fantasy adventure!

5.0 out of 5 stars Eragon Book One, 22 Aug 2011
Really loved this book and the others in the Inheritance cycle cannot wait for the next book. Couldn`t put the book down, now that I have finished the rest of them I am going back to this one again

5.0 out of 5 stars Eragon: Inheritance, Book 1, 9 April 2005
God Bless Chris Paolini for this amazing book. Yes its that good. I first came across this book when i was wondering around WHSmith and i saw the front cover with a dragon on it. Being a 'dragon' fan i picked it up read the back, paid for it and started reading on the journey home. Chris' opening in the book is amazing combining amazement and confusion to keep the reader hooked enough to continue. The story has a suprising number of twists and turns which can only be a good thing. His description of the magical world of Alagaesia is superb. Eragon is a fantastic read and recomended to all fans of 'Lord Of the Rings'. Becareful though it can be hard to put down to the point where your mum shouts at you!
BRING ON 'ELDEST'

5.0 out of 5 stars Developing Writing style compensated by AMAZING story, 21 Oct 2011
I had this book for ages on my bookshelf, lying unread simply because i had read the reviews on Amazon. I finally got round to picking it up after a lack of alternative choices and found and absolutely EPIC story which i couldn't put down. Yes the english could be better, and his style is a little stale in places when talking about topics such as love, fighting etc, However the story line is one of the best i've come across for a while, amazing considering the age of the author when said book was published. Certainly worth the read, don't listen to the negative reviews; they put me off and now i'm making up for lost time on the rest of the series.

Eragon: Book One (The Inheritance cycle)