5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant!!!!
My daughter is 13 years old and she has decided to write the review.

Published on 22 Aug 2011 by CarolP

3.0 out of 5 stars Erm... star wars anyone?
so just finished this right. was going through the plot in my head to recap when i realised the ridiculous plaguerism in characters...
Published 13 months ago by Kiera

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant!!!!, 22 Aug 2011
My daughter is 13 years old and she has decided to write the review.

The inheritance cycle is such a good journey that everybody in the world should read. It is easily my favourite series of all time squishing the harry Potter series into the dust, along with the spooks or the anthony rider series as well. I spent my read these books as much as I could during my summer holidays and i could never seem to put it down, reading hour after hour after hour. the detail is so perfect that I felt like I knew the characters myself and It made me want to join the Varden and fight Galbatorix.

I would recomend these books to anybody I knew and hope so much that there will be a continue of somesort from inheritance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eragon, 7 April 2013
This review is from: Eragon: Book One (The Inheritance cycle) (Kindle Edition)
I have battled alongside all within this adventure, I would recommend to everyone who likes to read and get their self lost in a different world.

5.0 out of 5 stars eragon, 19 May 2010
Mrs. C. A. Sadd "aye buddy" (england) - See all my reviews
First Thing i should say is that i dont read very often, Its only since i started latest job ive had enough time to settle down with a good book.
I will tell you this much though i picked this book up and couldnt put it down. The whole world seemed to stop just because the story was so compelling.
Eragon is a story of an ordinary boy who (for reasons unknown in this book) was left with his uncle and cousin on a farm. His whole life is then changed when he finds a shiny rock in the forboding area the spine, where many dont dare enter for its ominance with magic and death.
his whole life changes from that day and when the stone hatches he embarks on the journey of a life time to become the first of a new line of dragon riders who were thought extinct. Well all excepting King galbatorix.
The best thing about Eragon is he is imperfect. he makes mistakes constantly to the point at some points you feel like shouting get some sense boy! fortunately he has a number of people around him that help him survive each encounter. The truyth of the matter is that even though eragon is the main character and the story revovles around him the other characters are what makes this book flow so well and there stories entwined with his are what make the story interesting.
I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys fantasy books even though many have told me its a cheap version of lord of the rings, I disagree this feels alot easier to read and spends less time talking about the history that takes you away from the story and more entwines history into the story always leaving you with questions that keep you interested

3.0 out of 5 stars Erm... star wars anyone?, 17 Mar 2013
This review is from: Eragon: Book One (The Inheritance cycle) (Kindle Edition)
there are people from everywhere specially Brom. luke i am your father! i know he wrote it at 15 but its still disgusting. he just combined star wArs lotr and the hobbit! imean christopher has abeautiful elf called Arwy but doesnt that sound a bit like tolkiens elf Arwen? great book with major copyright issues

5.0 out of 5 stars Eragon Book One, 22 Aug 2011
Really loved this book and the others in the Inheritance cycle cannot wait for the next book. Couldn`t put the book down, now that I have finished the rest of them I am going back to this one again

5.0 out of 5 stars Eragon: Inheritance, Book 1, 9 April 2005
God Bless Chris Paolini for this amazing book. Yes its that good. I first came across this book when i was wondering around WHSmith and i saw the front cover with a dragon on it. Being a 'dragon' fan i picked it up read the back, paid for it and started reading on the journey home. Chris' opening in the book is amazing combining amazement and confusion to keep the reader hooked enough to continue. The story has a suprising number of twists and turns which can only be a good thing. His description of the magical world of Alagaesia is superb. Eragon is a fantastic read and recomended to all fans of 'Lord Of the Rings'. Becareful though it can be hard to put down to the point where your mum shouts at you!
BRING ON 'ELDEST'

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the book I'm afraid, 5 April 2007
Brian Birch (Lyndhurst, Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Whilst Kerry Shale does get some of the voices right - by which I mean of course as I imagine them to be - too many others sound like pantomime characters - heavily accented and exaggerated. However, this is not the biggest failing of the audio CD. What is not obvious is that this is an abridged version of the book. As such a lot of chapters have been left out including some of the most exciting ones. If you have not read the book you are being shortchanged, if you have you are in for disappointment. A shame all in all. Brian Birch

3.0 out of 5 stars a dragon and her boy, 22 April 2004
johnnybird (Tousanne Arizona) - See all my reviews
Combining elements of fantasy classics, from "The Hobbit" and Narnia and to "Star Wars", "Eragon" begins the Inheritance trilogy of adventures. In this first installment, a boy of mysterious parentage, from an isolated village, wandering alone in the age-old forest comes across a lost treasure: apparently a gigantic robin's-egg-blue stone, he brings it home. It hatches. Out pops a baby blue dragon. He cuddles it and feeds it and talks to it and builds it a little tree house home to sleep in. Pretty soon it isn't a baby. And it hunts for itself. And it - pardon, she - has some things to talk to him about. Soon there are strangers in town. They are looking for a lost treasure. They delight in extracting information. The reward and the punishment are about the same.
Luke - oops! Eragon - returns home to find it destroyed. He must leave on a quest, to find his own identity, and punish the killers. That takes him well beyond his childhood - home is gone. He must find a new life, and adulthood, on his own terms. Travelling with him is the old village storyteller Brom - to whom there is more than meets the ordinary eye. They get horses and move downriver toward the great plain beyond. And that is where the adventure really begins.
Elves, sorcerers, dwarves, men... evil, good, indifferent...
Pretty well told tho a bit predictable. As Reverend Billy says, a story without an unknown is an advertisement. (Which means, all the best stories are mysteries.) RevBilly points out that Eisner-era Disney movies, two-thirds-in where you expect the thrill of the unknown, instead hit you with fast-moving special effects. That is the challenge of the heroic adventure fantasy. How to make new - or unknown - what in form is familiar. The individuality and originality come in the telling of the tale.
That is where "Eragon" shines.

2.0 out of 5 stars poor version of a great book, 20 May 2006
lredhanded (London, England) - See all my reviews
I love the book Eragon, I think its an absolutely fabulous story, and I highly recommend the book and its sequel, Eldest to anyone, but I have to say that the narration of this audio book is not very good at all. Despite wining an award for other work that he has done, in this recording, Kerry Shale seems not to be able distinguish voices and characters in any other way than by giving them strongly defined accents, which ends up with Roran sounding like a hillbilly, Ajihad and his daughter Nasuada have some sort of cross between Indian and welsh, and many of the other characters have charicatured exaggerated accents that I find spoil a great story. I also think that too much of the Saphira/Eragon interaction has been edited, reducing Saphira's influence and her presence in the book, as well as the bond between Saphira and Eragon, although this maybe because in an attempt to show the telepathic communication between Saphira and Eragon, the narrator has made Saphira's voice too ethereal and washed out most of the time, so she loses a lot of her humour and sharp-wittedness. I don't like giving a bad review to Eragon, but as I said, this is not a criticism of the book or the story, but of this audio version and Kerry Shale's narration of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as Tolkien, yes really., 9 Oct 2013
Pangela "pangela" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eragon: Book One (The Inheritance cycle) (Kindle Edition)
Firstly, this is not a poor mans Lord of the Rings. I am a huge Tolkien fan, and this is as good as his work. I don't know if Paolini has created such an in depth world as Tolkien to the point where he has created whole new languages and extra books that provide back stories for everything, but that is not a fault. From a readers perspective, it is as good.

I am on the third book of the cycle and it is an epic. That is not a word to be used lightly in the world of literature but this truly deserves it. The characters are all so different, and real. The writing style is easy, dare I say easier to read than Tolkien. The writing draws you in very easily, and by the time you have read a whole book, you have lived every page with the characters.

I find the world created is so real that I use it as an escape. Somewhere I immerse myself in when I need to go and be somewhere else.

There are twists and turns, and sometimes you feel you might be one step ahead of the characters, but not often. The epic struggle between good and evil is played out, but there are shades of grey in some of the characters that make them somewhere in the middle, which is refreshing.

I know there is a film made, and I haven't watched it. I have my own idea what everyone looks like, and I am so fond of the books, that I think the only person who should ever be trusted to film it is Peter Jackson. He would do all the books and stay faithful to them.

Please note, there is a book available that is written by someone else as a resource bringing all the place names and characters together and providing a kind of dictionary of them. "Wonderful" you might say, "I am struggling to keep track of everyone". It is a good resource, but don't buy it until you have read all the books, it is full of spoilers. I bought it and found out something in it that I should not have known until the third or fourth book!

ARRAY(0xab78596c)

Eragon: Book One (The Inheritance cycle)
3.99