3,359 Reviews
 (2,610)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another humdinger
I really can't believe that in the first three months of the year I have come across three gems in "A Thousand Splendid Suns," "A Quiet Belief in Angels" and now "The Book Thief." Each of these books is different but they are all stunning in their own individual way.

The Book Thief is highly original, although it did remind me somewhat of my book of the year...
Published on 14 Mar 2008 by Mr. Peter Steward

3.0 out of 5 stars A 'clever' book, but not for everyone
I am ambivalent towards this book. The writing style was definitely unique; I enjoyed the frequent intermissions by the narrator, which gave the story a light-hearted and a nostalgic back-in-your-childhood feel. The ending was particularly well done - poignant, perhaps tear-jerking for many readers.

However, I felt the characterisation altogether a little weak...
Published on 20 Mar 2008 by J. Takata

‹ Previous | 1249 250 251336 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story of love and adventure and happiness, 15 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Book Thief (Paperback)
An interesting way to accidentally learn something about another time and place. Fell in love with main character and the relationships she has with family and friends and foes. A bit of a slow starter but worth the patience as gets pretty good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Work, 10 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Book Thief (Paperback)
I feel many of the praiseworthy comments are justified, however my only reservation is the slightly strange layout and a rather contrived story, which might have benefited from a more natural telling.

As an older person I did enjoy the decent sized print !

I'm sure most folk will enjoy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book I will never forget, 8 Jun 2012
Liz - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Book Thief (Paperback)
This book really moved me and albeit a fiction piece I felt gave me more of an insight/empathy towards the germans during the Nazi reign, more perhaps than the history books I'd learnt from as a child that tended to just focus on the impact on us Brits. I really liked all the characters, whilst not always obvious the strength of their human nature really shone through in adversity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, beautiful, totally gripping and utterly unique, 7 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Book Thief (Paperback)
It's difficult to describe just how amazing this book is. Narrated by Death, the book is totally unique and the story is told in the most heart-felt and beautiful way, but also with a brilliant sprinkling of humour. I just couldn't put it down. The characters are wonderfully and richly described, making them loveable and admirable (even Death has a new found respect!). I didn't want it to end, but when it did I had tears in my eyes. Without a doubt a MUST-READ.. and definately one of my all time favourite novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 5 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Book Thief (Kindle Edition)
A great read and it had me gripped from my first electronic page turn right up to the last. The characters are so well written. Read it, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A True 'Must Read', 1 Jun 2012
Ajay Clare (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Book Thief (Paperback)
Once in a while you come across a book that will leave an impression on you for a very long-term, and possibly change the way you view things. For me, The Book Thief is one of those books. From the very first page the reader is hooked in by the unique and quirky writing style. The story is narrated by Death, who it appears is quite an affable character. During the narration, there are haunting and beautiful stand-out quotes which break up paragraphs.

Although the story is narrated by Death, The Book Thief is actually about a young girl called Liesel, and her time growing up in Germany during the second world war. It's a book about friendship, love, family and friends. I really do feel the best way to read it is by not knowing much about it at all. Just pick up the book and lose yourself in it. You'll find yourself smiling, laughing, filled with sadness and maybe even moved close to tears. It's a powerful book that everyone really must read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric writing, 31 May 2012
C. Wilkinson "Chris the Book" (Crystal Palace England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Book Thief (Paperback)
A good read. The characters are realistic and easy to repond to. The book gives you a realistic look into the times of Hitler youth and how children were brainwashed. There are highs and lows as one would expect feom a well written book.Overall it portrays the sadness and futility and how resilent human beings are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing narrative and perspective!, 31 May 2012
This review is from: The Book Thief (Paperback)
Last week, having finished my last book of the current stockpile, I walked in the book store with a list containing 6 names. 'The Book Thief' wasn't one of them. To my disappointment only one book of my shortlist was in stock, so I decided to ask the clerk to recommend me a book. It's something that I've done before and have come to dread, but this time it got me 'The Book Thief'. Picked it up 2 days ago, fell in love with the narrative mode and unusual style after the first couple of pages and had my eyes glued on it whenever I had some free time.

As said on the backcover, the story is narrated by Death, but it's not as disturbing as one would imagine, it's actually refreshing. Just think of Brad Pitt in 'Meet Joe Black', he runs around collecting souls and is seemingly unmoved, but deep inside, buried under all the misery he has seen, there still is some emotion seeping out. But that's actually not the plot of this book, it just adds an extra storyline, which wouldn't be there if the book was narrated by the protagonist or from a third-person view.

The story is set in Nazi-Germany during the 2nd World War, which creates a less accustomed perspective of that time. You could compare it to 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas' since that book also deals with a German child growing up in those dire years, but comparing them would only lessen the value of both of them, so I'll stop the comparison here. The adventures of the little girl, which most will assume as normal life during those times, are presented in a exciting way and like so the author managed to captivate my attention like any exquisite author should. The characters in 'The Book Thief' are written in a very skillful way. People you'd expect to be cruel beings turn into the most loving characters as you progress through the pages, which just makes the bonds you create with them as the reader a little stronger.

In short, this book is a must-read. Considering the setting you'd expect a depressing book, which it is at times, but overall it's actually uplifting. The combination of Death as a storyteller, the hard-to-forget Liesel and other characters, and the unique writingstyle create a piece of influential prose!

4.0 out of 5 stars Book thief, 31 May 2012
This review is from: The Book Thief (Kindle Edition)
Well written book that keeps the interest in what is a very difficult subject to read about. Gives a whole new perspective to the holocaust in Germany during world war II.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 29 May 2012
MISS KEWISH (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Book Thief (Paperback)
Good book but I found some of it disappointing, there were illustrations and a "book within a book" which I felt was the writers way of filling up space. I lost interest at those moments. Otherwise entertaining, but not the best I've ever read.

‹ Previous | 1249 250 251336 | Next ›