4.0 out of 5 stars Alex Cross is back!
Alex Cross is a character that has been one of James Patterson's longer running themes. He returns in this blockbuster along with a few familiar faces.

Published on 22 Oct 2009 by Best Crime Books

1.0 out of 5 stars must read rubbish!
I was a die hard Patterson fan, having read most of his other books and almost all of the Alex Cross series, except I have missed out Cross Country, (mainly due to poor reviews). I am not a fan any longer.

Published on 10 Oct 2010 by bagmad

4.0 out of 5 stars Alex Cross is back!, 22 Oct 2009
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: I, Alex Cross (Hardcover)

They are celebrating Alex' birthday in the opening chapter, but as usual are interrupted with the phone call they always dread...Work! Alex and his long time girlfriend Detective Briana Stone along with his kids Ali and Jannie (who live at home), and the ever faithful Nana are welcomed back. Nana and his children have been the one consistence in his life that has brought him stability, support and love, however his love for his job sometimes gets him putting his priorities the wrong way round. The call he receives becomes personal as Alex finds out that a killer has got to one of his own. His niece has been murdered and they want him in on the case. He throws himself into the case head first and discovers that this serial killer won't be so easy to catch. This is no ordinary serial killer and Alex soon discovers that the whole case is wrapped up with some high rollers who are protected by those around them. That means breaking the rules and doing what needs to be done to catch the killer. Alex realises that to do his job he has to trust nobody and do things his own way.

I have on a few occasions' mentioned that I was unsure what James Patterson was doing to quality of his own work, due to the sheer volume of novels he seems to produce or complete with a co-author. My opinion has been in the past that his novels (especially the Cross ones) seem to decline the more books he produces. This book showed me glimpses of some of the great work that he has produced in the past, however still left me undecided as to whether his work is back to its usual quality. His chapters are short and sharp but keep the pages turning. The story was a good one and flowed throughout, with the added bonus of ending the book on a great opening for the next one.

I did enjoy this and think it is better than his last Alex Cross Novel (Cross Country). However, although still an avid James Patterson fan I find that I am leaning towards his other follow on books with the lead character of Michael Bennett (e.g. Run for your life). I will continue to read James Patterson's work and can only hope that the Alex Cross books continue to catch the audience. This book can be read as a stand alone but I would advise that if you enjoy this, that you try some of his other earlier books.

1.0 out of 5 stars must read rubbish!, 10 Oct 2010

For those familiar with Goosebumps and Point horror, you will see a writing style similar here. I am not criticising those books, I love them and do read books aimed at a younger audience regularly. I just do not expect this style of writing for an Alex Cross novel which is after all very much adult material.

Having said that, the book is quick and easy to read. But, the content is woeful. If there is a plot, it is shallow at best. Most scenes are glossed over and dealt with very quickly with no depth whatsoever. Any reference to Alex's family is similarly dealt with, none of the warmth and atmosphere of the family unit is there. Any suspense in the story is lost. The book is disjointed and the leads to finding the killer all too easy.

What has happened to Patterson's books? Gone are the days of Along came a spider, Jack and Jill and other earlier and very well written works. I struggled to finish this one; I doubt Patterson wrote it to be honest. I am just glad I only spent £1 on it in a charity shop and didn't buy it new. Pity I shall not get to finish the Women's murder club books, I got as far as 7th Heaven, but don't now feel motivated to read any further.

One thing I am sure about, I shall not be reading any more of his books. James Patterson, you have lost a loyal fan.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just not good enough, 16 Dec 2009
This review is from: I, Alex Cross (Hardcover)
I've never been the type to write bad reviews, always of the opinion that I'd rather recommend a good book than criticise a bad one that may appeal to someone who would otherwise buy it... but I'll make an exception this time.

It's not only the fact that the novel just isn't up to scratch; what really irks me is this practice of using ghostwriters who publish under Patterson's name in order to milk every penny out of the franchise. I think it's cheating readers even when it's made clear that it was a `collaboration'.

Separate from that, I found the book to be despairingly predictable. The pace plods along and then hits periodic high-activity parts that are over so quickly, you don't even have a chance to get absorbed in them. I think this is a case of quantity over quality; a poor effort overall.

Fewer books, better quality please, Mr Patterson!

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid 3 Star, Nearly 4 Star, Patterson Formula Read, 24 Jun 2012
James Patterson writes to a formula, and it's a very good formula. My local supermarket had 23 of his titles on simultaneous display - that's pretty impressive, even if he does now use a team of writers to support his prodigious output.

`I, Alex Cross' is book 15 in the Detective Alex Cross series - which has varied in standard from excellent to acceptable. For his fans, many familiar characters are present, and you can comfortably fit in with the domestic sub-plots alongside the main investigation. It can be read as a stand-alone, so you don't need to grind through 14 books before starting this one.

Patterson's snappy short sentences, brief chapters and fast-paced action continue as normal, and as the book is printed in primary school huge typeface, it's a very fast read. The plot involves a trail of dead or disappeared high-class escorts, catering to the richer and kinkier members of the Washington elite. Cross gets involved as one of the escort victims is his niece.

I suspect that Patterson is now so wealthy and important to his publisher that they have plotting conferences that desperately try to come up with new variants on thriller plots. What can we do based in Washington that hasn't been done before? As a result, some of the storylines stretch your credibility more than a tad, but then again, it is fiction...

Quite a few Patterson fans have marked this down, but I'd say that while it might not be among his very best, that it is still a good solid Patterson thriller romp. Three or four stars? Hmm... It's a high three from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars I, Read It, 23 April 2010
This review is from: I, Alex Cross (Hardcover)
A highly enjoyable novel with well-developed principal characters. You do not have to have read other books in the Alex Cross series to find your footing amongst the cast of this book.

The plot is plausible, which helps when one is 'dealing' with the Washington elite.

Technically, I found it to be very well written. The scenes dealing with sexual violence just keep on the right side of readability. Though, those of a genteel disposition would be advised to look elsewhere for their mystery thrills.

As in other Alex Cross novels, the story-telling is through interleaved chapters using differing viewpoints. Cross's viewpoint is rendered in first-person. The other narrative viewpoint is 'omniscient' and keeps the reader ahead of the action until the surprise ending. Patterson manages to maintain a distinct narrative 'tone' for each viewpoint. Descriptive details seem effortlessly rendered. Patterson excels in the dripping in of 'telling details' which 'place' the reader at the scene.

I liked the detailed side-story dealing with the hospitalization of Cross's beloved 'Nana'. This arc added a nice counterpoint to the seamy main storyline, and draws the reader into the world of Cross. However, I can imagine many readers finding this aspect of the book tedious. It really depends upon one's taste. For me, characterization is as important as plot.

I have no hesitation in awarding 5 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cross Roads, 11 April 2010
This review is from: I, Alex Cross (Paperback)
James Patterson books are in the unenviable position of being something I love and hate at the same time. Dreadful short chapters that make a nonsense of the concept of traditional novel structure while at the same time making it easy for the reader without much time or attention span to dip in and out of the middle-sized crime novel without missing a beat. I also admit I'm jealous of his popularity and his pay cheques as a fellow crime writer! But most of the time I can't fault the punchy stories told in his series of Alex Cross novels. This one is unfortunately one of two exceptions. Both this and its predecessor have something in common - a too thin story and too much angst. While Cross himself remains an interesting character his sickly family life gets a huge part in this story at the expense of the crime itself. If you like the character, stick to the earlier tales prior to Mary, Mary. If this is your first exposure to the character, start at the beginning with Along Came A Spider. Missing the grit of these hard to follow acts, it may well be time to retire the detective/therapist/FBI agent and leave him with his happy ever, after if Patterson cannot find a way back to what made him fresh and vibrant. Of interest only to completist fans and those discovering it for the first time.

5.0 out of 5 stars I, Alec Cross, 20 Mar 2014
VICTOR (WALTON-ON-THE-NAZE,ESSEX) - See all my reviews
Great audio book and really enjoyed the story from this author, as always,
Looking forward to more from this author.

I rate it 5/5

2.0 out of 5 stars Patterson has really gone downhill, 18 Mar 2014
I loved the Alex Cross novels so ignored reviews and bought this any way. However, I was disappointed that Patterson can no longer live up to his previous Alex Cross novels. I think he should just end the series instead of assassinating the character, which is what he is doing in an effort to make more sales and more money.

5.0 out of 5 stars great story, 26 Feb 2014
This review is from: I, Alex Cross: (Alex Cross 16) (Kindle Edition)
Another great story from James Patterson , can't wait to read the next instalment. What will kyle craig do next

3.0 out of 5 stars As expected and nicely delivered, 26 Feb 2014
This review is from: I, Alex Cross: (Alex Cross 16) (Kindle Edition)
Nicely paced... Consistent with the series.
Knew where it was going but ok with that
Happy to read on in the Cross saga

I, Alex Cross: (Alex Cross 16)