4.0 out of 5 stars Evolution rather than revolution, 2 July 2008
This review is from: Love Ire & Song (Audio CD)
The hardest working guy in music is back with his second full length solo album, a year after the debut - where does he find the time? Love, Ire and Song is musically more accomplished than Frank's previous output, though a little less energetic.

This time around the lyrical themes draw mostly upon his recent experiences as a solo artist who seemingly never stops, especially the impact of this non stop work ethic on relationships. This is nothing new, Frank has always sung about what is on his mind. Compare Frank's honesty to the majority of "production line pop" love songs and it is easy to see why he has such a loyal fan base. Frank will not short change you with fantasy worlds, false experiences or anything such nonsense.

Not that failed relationships and loneliness are the only themes here. Frank still has the knack for sharp social commentary and stinging one liners, many of which are crammed into the title track, Love, Ire and Song. Despite this being a folk album, the values honed in the hardcore scene are still abundant in Frank's current music.

All in all, this is a great album that continues down the path that Frank has been walking since 2005. Not many artists have the intelligence, stamina or balls to do what Frank does, and for that reason alone you should buy his albums. Your record collection will be all the better for it! And if you like what you hear, make sure you catch him live - he will probably be playing at a venue near you soon...

5.0 out of 5 stars Frank Turner is a Phenomenon, 13 April 2008
Robbie Swale - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Love Ire & Song (Audio CD)
Frank Turner is genuinely a phenomenon. It has been ten years since, in the height of Brit Pop, any musician or group of musicians completely engrossed me. But Turner, in the last five months since I first came across him, as totally got me. Frank Turner is a songwriter of great talent - if it wasn't (probably) against his code of ethics, he could probably make a fortune writing for others. His music - as the acoustic folk artist he has become since his days with punk rock band Million Dead - is all melodies and lyrics. The melodies are weaving and exciting. They are never derivative and the fit sweetly with the lyrics. Turner's voice has an impressive range, and is full of emotion. As a lyricist, he has an amazing knack of writing exactly what you are thinking, of being honest and open, and of saying all the things you wish you'd said - to yourself, your friends, current and former lovers, and to the world.

Here, on his second album, the sound is fuller - he uses his band more than on his previous releases. There are plenty of guitars (electric and acoustic), drums and even some strings. This feels totally natural, as once again Frank treats us to songs about life as a musician and a young (although getting old) person.

For me, Frank Turner has the ability to send shivers down my spine in almost any of his songs, written about almost any subject. These vary from the spectacular Photosynthesis (I won't sit down, I won't shut up, and most of all I will not grow up) to the heart-rending Long Live The Queen. In between, my favourite is probably To Take You Home, an incredibly folky and wonderfully warm love song. Either that, or the amazing opener, I Knew Prufrock Before He Got Famous.

This is the natural development from Sleep Is For The Week, and contains a group of songs as good (if not better) than those on his first album. If you love Frank, you won't be disappointed. If you don't know anything about Frank, then you should.

I can't imagine he can go on without developing a huge following. If he ever does make the big time, I will be at once delighted (for someone who I feel a huge affinity with, and who I feel like I know having listened to all his songs) and disappointed - that our little secret is being taken away from me.

Buy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, 4 Aug 2011
This review is from: Love Ire & Song (Audio CD)
I bought this on the back of the excellent England keep my bones and wow was I not dissapointed, I'd even go as far as to say this is better.

Frank is a lyrical genius.

Can't wait to see him live.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Brilliant, 6 April 2013
This review is from: Love Ire & Song (Audio CD)
This album is my favourite album not only of Frank Turner's. It has a beautiful mix of upbeat and slower classic Frank Turner songs which provides a desirable album which i recommend to anyone interested in the singer/songwriter or folk genres.

5.0 out of 5 stars King Frank Does It Again!, 20 May 2008
RobK (Gorleston) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Ire & Song (Audio CD)
First of all I love Frank Turner and this album in particular. He has the ability to write songs which are deeply personal, but somehow can be meaningful to the listener. The songs on this album just make me feel so happy to listen to. But words really can't do justice to the talent of this man. Just buy this album and it will be one you will be listening to for years to come. I know I will be!

4.0 out of 5 stars great album, 9 Sep 2013
I love all his music in any case and this is another great album that I listen to almost every day

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Frank., 3 Nov 2012
Georgina Bedford (South Devon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Ire & Song (Audio CD)
This is one of my favourite albums of his. Buy it, it's awesome. Love Substitute the most I think. Oh and also Photosynthesis.... and Long Live the Queen. And all the other songs. Great album with a nice real, punk-folk sound =)

5.0 out of 5 stars Some great songs, 17 Jun 2014
This review is from: Love Ire & Song (Audio CD)
Top songs from a top song writer I would recommend this CD to anyone who likes well written songs performed well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Let Frank into your life, 17 Feb 2014
This review is from: Love Ire & Song (Audio CD)
I'll keep this simple - i like all sorts of music, from the Beatles to Biffy Clyro. On a chance hearing of a FT track a couple of years ago i bought this album and this started the "affair". Great tunes, melodies and lyrics - also great live. Buy this, then buy everything else he's done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not to shabby, 2 Feb 2014
S. Blackman (uk) - See all my reviews
Have not been listening to this long but it has some lovely stuff on it . It also has a younger less world worn feel to lots of the songs compared to his latest

Love Ire & Song [VINYL]
Love Ire & Song [VINYL] by Frank Turner (Vinyl - 2010)