5.0 out of 5 stars Small, light and easy to use
I'm using one with a Windows machine and it works very well. Design is small and light and as it does not require an external power supply (with bulky transformer) it really is as sleek as it looks.

Published on 22 Jan. 2011 by Mark Pack

2.0 out of 5 stars Good drive, IF you get one that works!
I have been buying LaCie 2.5" disks for 3 years now, and have never had any problems with them. I even bought a 500GB Rikiki last October and use it everyday, mainly for watching videos on my Xbox 360.

Published on 5 Mar. 2011 by I. Tisdale

2.0 out of 5 stars Good drive, IF you get one that works!, 5 Mar. 2011
I. Tisdale - See all my reviews
This review is from: LaCie Rikiki 500 GB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive 301909 (Personal Computers)

However, in the last week I have had to return a bad drive that died after 4 days, and the replacement for that very drive, which died after only 30 minutes! I haven't used them any differently than all my previous drives, so simply chalk it up to being a bad batch. The actual disk in both dead drives was made by Seagate (Model no. ST950032 5AS), yet all my previous LaCie's have Hitachi disks.

Basically, if you get one with a Seagate disk be sure to back up your data. I was very lucky not to lose anything that wasn't backed-up elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, light and easy to use, 22 Jan. 2011
Mark Pack (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

The USB cable it comes with is very short, which is really good for use with a laptop (no surplus cable length messing up the desk) but not suitable for convenient use with a desktop computer.

One tip: plug it in, browse to the disk and then run the setup program. This formats the disk and gives you the documentation. It wasn't at all clear from the packaging that this is how it is meant to go, but if you know this it's easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for your Mac...., 4 Oct. 2010
I have one of the original MacBook Air's....the hard drive was going to be a problem over time but not anymore. This little drive is tough, well made, very small and works a treat. I'm using it for Time Machine and file storage....you can't go wrong for you mobile Mac....

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely done, 3 Mar. 2011
This is my third 500GB external USB2 2.5inch hard disk unit and my first LaCie Rikiki. Its 500GB predecessors are in daily use. This one is the neatest, most solidly constructed of the trio and it's silent, too. I recommend it highly.

At the £45.80 I paid for the complete unit, it's a bargain. If you bought a bare 500GB drive you wouldn't pay but a few pennies less, and then you'd need to buy an enclosure and a connecting lead.

The length of the connecting lead, measured to the extreme tips of the plugs is exactly 7 inches. That's perfectly adequate for connecting to a laptop on a desk.

Some reviewers have remarked that the formatted capacity is 465GB, not 500GB. All hard disks are discrepant in this respect. A hard disk manufacturer's gigabyte is 1,000,000,000 bytes (10^9), but the traditional computing gigabyte used as a unit of measure by Windows is 1,073,741,824 bytes (2^30). 500,000,000,000 divided by 1,073,741,824 is 465 and a little loose change -- hence 465GB.

Some reviewers have remarked that the instructions are skimpy. It's a disk, so there's not much to say. This Windows user connected it to a USB socket and let its software autorun. It formatted the entire disk as one NTFS partition, into which it expanded the reference materials and the bundled software. I didn't time the formatting process, but I doubt it took more than five minutes. I haven't bothered to use any of the software bundle.

I'm using the Rikiki with a Lenovo ThinkPad T410 running Windows 7. No problems at all. However, all rotating machinery fails in the end, so do be sure to back up your data.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice little piece of kit, 15 Sept. 2010
this is an excellent and sturdy little hard drive and very portable. the only possible down side of it is that the usb cable that comes standard with it is only about 10cm long, which means that unless you are planning on having it right next to your laptop it could be a bit of a problem. probably not really an issue in most cases.
seems very safe to transport around and can take a few little knocks due to the aluminium casing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Small and elegant, but not good for older laptops, 30 Jan. 2011
The Rikiki is a lovely, small, easy to use drive but it's main advantage is also its biggest problem for me. It is USB powered which gives it the portability I required, but my Mac PowerBook G4 doesn't supply enough power through the USB port to power this model so I had to buy a USB wall plug power adapter and a split USB cable to get enough power to run this hard disk. The extremely short USB cable supplied with this unit is far to short for use with a desktop computer so I also needed to get a USB extension cable. An awful lot of fuss really, but now that I have all this extra kit the LacCie is working well, although I'm lacking the portability I originally craved until I upgrade my laptop.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful, compact storage, but poor support, 3 Aug. 2010
Mr. R. A. Green "Silver surfer" (Derby, England) - See all my reviews
A well designed, compact and useful device. Looks good and works well, used as an off-site backup.
The instructions supplied with the device are very brief and the LaCie web site gives little information about the Rikiki. It seems rather demanding of leads: the supplied lead is ridiculously short and the first longer one I tried caused the drive to start bleeping (the LaCie web site gave no useful help on this): eventually I found one that worked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little hard drive, 16 Mar. 2010
A. Seddon (Preston, UK) - See all my reviews
A great little hard drive. My laptop is 4 years old and came with, a then, massive 60GB hard drive. It was full and I didn't want to have to buy a new computer so instead I bought this.

All my music and photos are now on that drive and I still have over 400 GB free! And best of all I can simply take that drive with me and I have all my important files in my pocket.

The drive is powered direct from the USB socket and comes with a small cable which means no bulky power pack to carry around.

Note, like most portable drives the capacity is overstated. The actual disk size is 465 GB.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, But take it slow at the begining, 30 Dec. 2010
I bought this to take to sixth-form every day, And so far it has not let me down at home (i have not been back to sixth-form yet), One thing i will note is that the drive need formating before use, You cannot do this through windows, you have to use their program (which is very good) to chose what format and what OS you will be using or portion the drive to several different formats. Overall a great buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars ALL GOOD AND WORKING FINE WITH TIME MACHINE, 21 Dec. 2011
Bought as a cheap solution to use with my iMac for time machine backups as I could not justify the £250-£350 or so for the Apple recommended time capsule.

Plugged it in and reformatted to MAC OSX and setup time machine up in a few minutes. It took about 3 hours to do first backup (151Gb) but now happily backing up changes every hour with no problems.
As mentioned previously by others the cable is a little short if you are not using this with a laptop. I have ordered an extension cable for a couple of pounds on Amazon so that should resolve that issue.

All in all a great little drive.

Now been in use for 2 months and all working fine just quietly sits there being backed up to every hour by time machine. Very happy with the purchase.