on 22 April 2011
Had my PS3 from day one back in March 2007 60GB version and now the hard drive is getting full. So with this in mind I upgraded to this drive and I don't know why I didn't do it sooner!

Before you install the new drive make sure you backup your old drive first to an external drive if you want to keep your data ie. downloaded games, addons, save data etc. etc.

The changer over could not be easier pop the cover off the side and one blue screw to undo then slide the drive out easy, well this part was the 4 screws that was holding the original drive in were that tight (over tightened as the cradle was bent at these points) that I managed to get two out with not rounding the pozi drive heads the other two I had to drill the heads off to free the drive from the cradle not fun but I have done this lots of time in my job.

With the new drive fitted in the cradle slide back in to place and remember to fit the blue screw and side plate back on. Turn on the PS3 and straight away it finds the new drive and formats it to the PS3 system reboot the system and away you go (At first it did not find the drive after formatting it had to hard reset then it was fine) Then just restore your data from you back up and its like it was before the swap over only with a lot more space now sign up for a Playstation Plus account and enjoy loads of new stuff. One more thing I don't know if its just me but it feels faster loading data from this drive might just be because its a clean install.

Hope this helps fellow PS3 owners its well worth doing.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 22 October 2010
I only had a 40GB hard drive for my PS3 and 40GB just isn't enough! The hard drive came very quick and was protected with two layers of foam and in two boxes. It was very easy to fit into the PS3 and worked perfectly without any problems at all. If you want a bigger hard drive for your PS3 or PC then this hard drive is great. I had Play TV (PS3) so it took up a fair bit of space on the old 40GB hard drive but now i have much more space for games, demos, updates and TV records.
on 30 September 2011
I purchased this as my fat 80GB PS3 was full, and this monster hard drive was one of the first to pop up on Amazon. At a very good price might I add! Of course I read numerous reviews before making my descision and many of which were bought for the same reason as myself, with 5 star feedback. However, I didnt seem to fit mine with such ease as other buyers. Im not the techiest of people but get by alright, although the "pop old HDD out and pop new one in! easy!" didnt work for me. I got a few error messages, searched google, got more error messages, searched google some more etc... and eventually found a solution thanks to some guy on youtube who got it right. Here it is.
1. Back up your data in system settings to an external hard drive.
2. Turn PS3 off and remove plastic panel in left hand side, remove screw, casing, more screws, then hard drive.
3. Insert new hard drive in casing, screw screws back in, slot back in, final screw back in, plastic back on. (plenty of videos on youtube for steps 1-3)
4. Go to PS3 website and download latest PS3 software update (3.72 in my case), and save download to an external storage device ie. usb pen drive.
5. This was the important bit! open storage device with file in, create new folder titled PS3 and inside that folder another titled UPDATE (both in capitals) , then inside that put the downloaded file. (.PUP file)
6. Put pen drive in PS3 then turn on system by holding down the power button for about 5 seconds. One beep then two beeps. This takes you to a menu where you can selct the bottom option 'update'. either that or it will ask you to hold down select and start buttons together. Your PS3 should now let you format your new HDD and away you go with some easy onscreen instructions.
7. Once all is done and your finally at the PS3 menu again insert your external hardrive with your saved game data etc. go to system settings, back up, restore crack open a beer and wait!

This worked for me. Hope it helps!

As far as the product itself goes everthing works a treat now, im only giving it 4 stars because the HDD is described as PS3 ready which is not quite the case when you've had to muck about with it for 2 nights before it works!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 24 December 2011
I have one of the first 40Gb models of PS3 so I needed to update the bugger! SO looked around and found this lovely HD, read the reviews and thought it was perfect so I bought it.
Plugged it in to find the PS3 telling me " Cannot start - hard disk not found." This had me slightly miffed, so I did some research and found a set of steps which happen to work as intended! I've amalgamated all of the different websites instructions and typed them below. Hopefully, this should fix any problems

1. Back up any data, such as trophies and save games on a USB or external HD.
2. Turn PS3 off
3. Remove panel in left hand side using flat head screwdriver.
4. Remove blue screw with correctly fitting Phillips screwdriver, otherwise it ends up flattening the screw.
5. Remove casing and , the 4 screws either side and then the HD.
6. Insert this new hard drive in casing, replace the 4 screws (not to tight) and then slide the casing back in the console.
7. Replace the blue screw then panel.
8. Go the the PS3 website --> PS3 Support --> System software --> Update features, and download most recent .PUP file to be copied to a USB stick.
9. On the USB stick, create a folder and rename it 'PS3' and another folder in that named 'UPDATE' Both folder names have to be capitalized.
10. Copy the .PUP file into the UPDATE folder.
11. Insert the USB onto the PS3. Turn the console on whilst holding down the button until one beep then two beeps have been heard.
12. On the presented menu, select 'update' at the bottom and follow the on screen instructions.
13. Now the new HD should work fine.
VINE VOICEon 15 August 2011
I've had my trusty Dell laptop for four years, but a couple of weeks ago I started getting regular freezes.

I tried all the usual diagnostics and while nothing was found they all seemed to hang on the disc drive tests.

I presumed the HDD was coming to the end of its life, although was rather perturbed that CHKDSK and the bundled utilites of Dell and Western Digital could not find/correct the errors without crashing.

So I bought this Samsung 640GB drive and swapped out the WD Scorpio Blue 250GB that came with the Dell.

I've been unable to make a drive copy (Acronis 2009) since the HDD problems as it too hangs.

The physical swap was easy - the Dell manuals give full illustrated instructions. Simply take out the four screws holding the drive in place and pull out the drive. Take off the plastic cover at the end of the drive (two retaining screws) and attach this cover to the new drive.

Slide in the new drive, and power up with the Acronis rescue disc that I'd created when I first got Acronis 2009.

I was then able to restore my drive to a point before the hangs occurred.

I then put the old WD Scorpio HDD into an external caddy and ran some further diagnostics. These worked as the drive was no longer booted. There were a very large number of bad sector errors.

Happily I was able to recover the data and settings that had changed since the Acronis drive image backup I was using.

Touch wood, but I now have a recovered laptop with the advantage of 640GB as opposed to 250GB.

Can't comment on the reliability of the drive - only had it a day - but I fully expect to get a few years out of it.

I'm about to upgrade the internal memory from 2GB to 4GB, to further prolong its life - a new HDD and memory upgrade for less than a three figure sum. Can't be bad.

I was rather scathing about Acronis 2009 on another review. It is really rather poor and fails on backups about two times in three (even before my HDD problems). However, as shown here, if you do have a working drive image backup it's worth its weight in gold.
on 3 October 2010
Im not going to write a massive review of this product because theres no need to. All i can say is it works, its gave my ps3 320gb of free space (minus the content i had on there so around 220bg of free space). It's really easy to put into your playstation, and if your having trouble doing so there are TONS of step by step videos on youtube which you can watch. So if you are looiking for more space for your ps3 then i recommend this product highly.
on 7 June 2011
I got this product to upgrade the hard drive on my PS3 as i have the original model with the 40gb hard drive. It arrived today and i got it fitted with hardly any trouble. The only slight issue was with getting the original hard drive out of the tray due to how tight the screws holding it in place are, and they strip very easily so be carful here if you attempt this. This is a perfect replacement for your PS3 hard drive and i would reccomend to anyone. Once installed the PS3 recognised the new drive straight away and formatted it ready for use. Now i have an extra 600gb to play with after restoring my original data back onto this drive.

I placed my order on 4th June, which was a saturday using first class delivery. The item arrived today, 7th June so i was realy pleased with the delivery and the way the item was packed. As hard drives are sensitive to knocks and bumps i was pleased to find the item was packed into a small box with plenty of protection to stop in from moving. The small box was then inside a bigger box again with plenty of protection to stop the small box moving.

All in all i am very pleased with the product and the service from Amazon!! *** 5 stars ***
on 23 October 2010
I have bought 3 or 4 of these drives in the past 6 months - all are excellent and working perfectly. Speeds are not much different from 500GB, 7200 RPM drives, and the extra space is very useful. Used now mainly for backups but am thinking of putting one in my MacBook Pro (i5, 17") - just have not had time to try it yet. Use one of these disks in a small Firewire/USB enclosure every day for transporting files between work and home computers. Never a problem (at least on a 6-month time scale).
on 20 July 2010
Once I'd managed to get it installed the right way up in my macbook (it fits perfectly the wrong way up, but obviously the connectors are all the wrong way round) It worked like a dream. People often complain about how the formatted capacity of a hard drive is always massively less than advertised, but in JHFS+ I get more than 639GB, which is pretty good. In terms of noise, it's a lot louder than the old hitachi I had when it's idling, but while the old drive sounded like a guy snapping the teeth off a comb when it was seeking, this one's practically silent, and the slightly louder hum isn't at all intrusive. My one problem with it is it's power draw. While I appreciate that being a 2 platter drive it requires a bit more grunt to get it going, it's knocked a good hour off the battery life. But it's a fair tradeoff - it certainly feels a lot faster, and this isn't just because it's a clean install, because it isn't. I'm not feeling particularly negative about it, and I'd buy it again if I could go back a few days, so I guess it's a fair recommendation from me...

an update having used it for a couple of weeks... while the battery life while idling is higher than the old disk, when it's doing something more taxing, like watching a movie from the hard drive the power draw from the disk appears to remain quite constant, while the old hitachi drew oodles more power on something like that, meaning i actually get about an hour more battery out the old macbook watching movies...
on 26 October 2010
I was on the look out for a bigger portable hard drive and trying to see if it was cheaper to builfd my own rather than buty a named portable drive and pay the extra for the name sake.

After looking around I came across this drive which was suitable for the job and at a really good price. After some more research I found out that this was suitable for the task and although not the fastest drive around it fits may requirements.

Combined this with the LUPO 2.5 Inch SATA USB 2.0 Hard Drive case and for under £50 I have a 640GB portable USB powered Hard drive. The Case is small and light and more suitable for the purpose other than the other cases I have bought.

Normal retail of 640GB USB Portable Hard Drives when starting this project where between £80 to £120 and not much faster than this drive.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

See one answered question