Format: DVD|Change

on 24 December 2009
Law Abiding Citizen is basically a vengence movie, about one man (Clyde Shelton - Gerard Butler) seeking retribution for the murder and rape of his wife and daughter tens years after the event and on a legal system that he feels let him down by not prosecuting the perpetrators of the deed to the fullest of the law. However, not only does he want revenge on the killers but on Nick Rice (Jamie Foxx) and the rest of the legal team that allowed the plea-bargaining mis-carriage of justice to take place.

I have to say that I really enjoyed this movie, though for the first hour it seemed to me that someone had mixed the `SAW' movie franchise with the movie `FALLING DOWN' in an entertaining and brutal storyline depicting one mans search for vengence on a failed legal system. The fim runs smoothly, the acting is very good and the watcher can associate quite freely with our `hero' - well atleast at first. I mean who can say that would not to see some type of retribution for the crimes at the start of this movie. The film also is pretty brutal right from the start and I freely admit that I was a bit shocked at the speed at which the opening violence started.

My own issue with this movie, is that I feel the writers made an error in writing Shelton starting to kill innocent - and I use innocent in the broadest term there - people to get his vengence on the justice system. The killing of his cellmate to get to the isolation unit seemed the start of a divergence of the audience feeling a kinship with Butler's character, and from then on he was nothing more than just another bad guy. I would have liked to have seen a link with the cellmate, and the death of only those involved in his original case when the cars were blown up. I really wanted to assocaite with the character until the end of the movie, but after these events it lost it a little for me.

I wanted to give this movie a 5 out of 5 - and would do for the first hour - but, for ME personally I felt let down a little, and was left thinking that the movie had been cut on the editing floor to make it shorter for the big-screen or maybe the people making the film did not want to portray the avenging angel in such a light that we would all get off our butts and wipe out our own justice system for a mere mis-dimeanor ! So, 4 out of 5.

Final thought ? Well, I really kept think about Johnny Vegas eveytime I saw Darby !!
on 29 May 2015
this film is superb, would watch it over again.If you havent seen it well worth watching.elizabeth
on 2 June 2013
This film is awesome the twists are just mind blowing this is mr butler at his best get this film
on 29 April 2015
a brilliant film with a good twist at the end, a bit gory in parts but it was a great thriller!
on 1 July 2016
What a fab film my wife couldn't drag her eyes off gerard butler would definitely recommend it
on 5 December 2013
This is one of my favourite films. Yes it has gore in it, but that's what makes it so good.
on 3 February 2013
I got it before time and very happy , all in all a great service , and I fully recommend .
on 24 April 2010
It's quite amazing just how little I cared about the plot, characters or actors. Truly mind-numbing, stay well clear. When I saw the trailer in the cinema I said 'No' straight away, wished I'd stuck to my first inclination. Not even good in a ironic way. Just a bad episode of Criminal Minds/CSI.
on 17 June 2015
A good story line with a twist at the end. Kept us all engrossed right up until the end.
on 10 July 2016
fast thriller , on reflection plot is completely ludicrous , passes an hour and a half .