Format: Audio CD|Change

on 8 March 2010
Having bought the album, I listened to it roughly twenty times in the first week. Each listen continues to reveal something new in the music, be that an illusive lyric in the rasping vocals of Scott Hutchinson, or a glimmering instrumental nuance. Simultaneously dark and enlightening, each song demonstrates the intricate genious of this band. I love this album. Buy it, you know you want to.
Frightened Rabbit's previous album "The Midnight Organ fight" has attracted a fierce loyalty for its stunning songs of passion and heartbreak. It is one of the great British albums of the past decade and showed that this Scottish band alongside other contemporaries like the Twilight Sad are bringing a new energy to music north of the border. The weight of expectation particularly after an album so loved is bound to be sky-high are we therefore inevitably heading for dissapointment?

Scott Hutchinson has stated that "the Winter of Mix Drinks" is "less obviously personal and brutal than the last record". Thus those looking for the ferocious lyrics combined with the gossamer tenderness of songs like "Poke" or "My Backwards Walk" may be disappointed. This new record is a much more expansive rock album; some have even called it a bid for stadium status. Whatever the case it marks a linear progression from "Midnight Organ Fight" into a much bigger sound and a new chapter for the band.

The album gets off to a solid start with "Things". Waves of guitar roll out and then Hutchison's vocal kicks in. It is a big song that builds over four minutes into an anthem that will have the lighters waved in the air at festivals. It is followed by the single "Swim until you can't see land" a melodic rock song with wonderful band harmonies and a tender lead vocal. The highlights then start to pile up.

The powerful "The Wrestle" sees Hutchison's distinctive Selkirk accent and vocals to the fore. The thumping second single "Nothing like you" is bold and brash song that will be a live favourite. The albums highlight quickly follows. "Footshooter" it's a signature song by the band and effortless. Underpinned by a yearning melody and beautifully paced. It is precisely because of songs like this that this band is so special. The same applies to the truly wonderful "Not Miserable" a progressive slow build so characteristic of FR. The album ends with the lovely and plaintive "Yes I would" which is a song from this album that would have sat happiest on the Midnight Organ Fight.

This album therefore marks a departure into a bigger sound. The context of TMOF was a of a torrid break up for Hutchison and It's probably a one off, never to be repeated. The Winter of Mixed Drinks is more conventional and inevitably suffers in comparison with its predecessor. It is not so painfully confessional but the essence of Frightened Rabbit is intact and possibly the best emerging band in the UK has produced its bid to be a major league player.
on 2 June 2011
this album is brilliant, soulful and heart-warming. have enjoyed everything this guys make and was blown away by the power and beauty of the this album. i hope you enjoy it as much as me
on 13 February 2011
I'll keep this short and sweet. This album is magic, pure magic! It combines energy, great lyrics, catchy melodies, hooks and a real feel good feeling. It demands repeated plays - I must have have let it repeat 12 times whilst painting the ballustrades, and it simply gets better each time. Selfishly, I hope this band doesn't go global, but there's a great deal of potential locked up here.

A band to watch for sure. A 100% guaranteed gem - best indie album of 2010.
on 6 March 2010
It was always going to be tough following up such a widely acclaimed album as the Midnight Organ Fight (MOF). With the critical praise that release got it would have been easy for the band to fall into the sin of repetition and try to recreate MOF. With 'Mixed Drinks' they have avoided that pitfall and produced a record that's very, very different but still recognisable as a product that could only have come from Frightened Rabbit (the lyrics, soem of them cleverly even echo lyrics on MOF). MOF had moments of fabulous intensity in it's lyrics that sometimes seemed to me to break apart from the music they were that overpowering (witness the fabulous 'Poke'), on Mixed Drinks the vocals seem to me much more tied into the rest of the instrumentation. Just a personal view I guess, but to me it makes this sound much more the output of a band rather than the band backing Hutchison and because of this I think the album actually holds together more than MOF. Now that doesn't mean I think it's necessarily better, just different. In fact I think in some ways comparisons with what's gone before here are redundant because this is an altogether different beast to MOF.

The album is played with a great intensity from the beginning. There is a continuous wail of guitar all the way through that suggests comparisons with Glasvegas and also labelmates The Twilight Sad. (I like this in Scots bands - guitars as pipes? Or is that me being unbelievably trite....). The consistent attack of the music never lets up. Whereas on MOF there was a tremendous variety musically this is an album that weaves together much more from track to track. Gone is some of the belligerence in the lyrics and vocals of MOF ('Poke' and 'Keep Yourself Warm'). Instead we get the same beautifully written lyrics but far less personal, much more telling a story second-hand rather than first-hand. The lyrics throughout though really are a joy, just like the music and it's also great to note that Hutchison's voice sounds incredibly powerful on here. Great stuff. (9/10)
on 3 March 2010
It's been a while waiting for the new Frabbit album but proved to be well worth it.
The sound is more polished and polite but none of the appeal has been lost and there are a couple of anthemic wonders.
I can only reccomend you go out and buy this album and if you can catch them live as they are a superb gig band.
on 24 September 2012
Having the band recommended by a friend I thought I would check it out. I was, in no way prepared for just how brilliant this album. It is simple beautiful, right from the first track, the melancholy 'Things' straight through to the upbeat midsection of the album and until its climax this album is so damn worthy of your attention, a good set of headphones and your ears. Give it one try and I promise you'll love it. I rarely compliment an entire so highly but Frightened Rabbit have done it all right here
on 20 April 2013
I have always been intrigued by this great band live - the new album Pedestrian Verse was bought with this and to be honest it was ok but thankfully The Winter of Mixed Drinks was fantastic and definitely justified my faith with these guys. Love it - shame that the new album tried to be too moody at times and didnt quite hit the heights of this superb effort.
on 31 August 2010
Excellent album, I will be ordering up the rest of their collection as soon as I can.
on 12 March 2013
I recently purchased their new album Pedestrian Verse & it's most played on my ipod. I owned this album before but never really listened to it but thought I'd purchase it as the new album is so good... this I'm afraid is going to be a grower but I'm sure I'll love it as I like this band immensely.