5.0 out of 5 stars Sad Lightbox
I should have bought one of these boxes years ago,as I suffer every winter from general malaise,and just getting moving.I took the plunge this year because it was the worst I'd known it and bought one.
What a difference, after a few days I started to feel better and now I get out of bed earlier and am ready to face the day.
This lamp is great,it dosen't hum or...
Published on 20 Jan 2011 by Helen

3.0 out of 5 stars Still waiting for the box to make a difference
I have suffered from SAD for many years, and so was extremely excited to finally get my hands on a medically graded SAD light box.
I have been using this product for 10 days straight, 60mins in the morning and whenever I feel I need a boost in the afternoon.

I haven't yet noticed any mood boosting effects after using this light box.

The only...
Published 7 days ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad Lightbox, 20 Jan 2011
This review is from: Lumie Arabica SAD Light Box - Therapy Lamp (Personal Care)
This lamp is great,it dosen't hum or make a noise like some of the others are reported to do,and it was easy to assemble the stand.If you are thinking of buying one,I'd say go for it,it's the best thing I've bought this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lumie questions answered here, 10 Oct 2014
E.Meredith - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lumie Arabica SAD Light Box - Therapy Lamp (Personal Care)
Excellent in every way. I thought potential buyers might be interested in a reply I received from Lumie themselves which answers all the questions I had before buying this; this is what they wrote to me:

All of our Lightboxes are mains operated. Unfortunately we do not have any battery powered Lightboxes.

Our SAD Lightboxes will come with a 3 year warranty no matter where you purchase one from. If ordered directly from us, we also offer a 30 day home trial – so you can trial the unit and if you want to return it, you just need to call us within the home trial.

The Lumie Arabica mains lead is approximately 5ft and the unit comes with two 24w daylight spectrum bulbs. Bulbs gradually lose their brightness so we recommend you replace them every 2-3 years to maintain optimum performance.

None of our Lightboxes emit any UV light so they are all extremely safe to use. We suggest using the Lightboxes at approximately an arms’ length away so receive the maximum benefits for around 30-60 minutes a day.

You can use your Lightbox for as long as you wish during the day. The only thing we suggest is not using them too late in the evening, as this could disrupt your sleeping pattern.

5.0 out of 5 stars Won over, 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: Lumie Arabica SAD Light Box - Therapy Lamp (Personal Care)
I have to admit to being sceptical when I ordered this lightbox. However , I have suffered SAD for several years now which has got progressively worse. I decided to give it a go - and what a surprise. I get up around 6 in the morning and go into the lounge and read by the light for an hour . Within three days I was feeling so different. Energised, much more alert mentally, and not feeling drowsy in the afternoons. My interest in life and the ability to plan ahead during the dark months has returned. I thoroughly recommend this lamp. Beware cheaper versions which can flicker and cause visual problems or migranes.

5.0 out of 5 stars What relief!, 6 Feb 2011
This review is from: Lumie Arabica SAD Light Box - Therapy Lamp (Personal Care)
I bough this because I'm working in an office without windows. I was really grumpy and felt tired all time. It's one month now that I'm using it. And I love it. I feel much better. I recommend it to everyone how feels down in winter time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Believe it!, 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: Lumie Arabica SAD Light Box - Therapy Lamp (Personal Care)
This works, been using it for 1/2 hr each morning. Definitely improves mood ,why did I not buy sooner! You don't need to put up with low moods caused by change in season. Only issue I've had is its seems to have re-set my body clock ,wake up at 7 every morning even if it's dark, still at least I feel like I want to get out of bed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feel like a new person, 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: Lumie Arabica SAD Light Box - Therapy Lamp (Personal Care)
I normally start to feel to feel down as a result of the shortening days as early as October. I bought this model as it is medically certified and after doing a bit of research. I feel so much better, I don't wake up feeling groggy and miserable and my whole outlook has changed. I have more energy and optimism than I can ever recall.
Whether this change is due to some kind of placebo effect or is actually down to the lamp itself I don't know or care but I do know it has had a massive impact on my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my life, 11 Nov 2011
Length:: 0:30 Mins

I first got this in the end of October and I was at first sceptical. But growing up in hot sunny countries most of my life and then moving to Scotland. I have learnt I secretly fear when November comes, I became depressed, sad, tried, always sleepy yet I would have been sleeping 12 hours and still feel like I've only been in bed for only a couple. I can't sleep at normal times, in my first winter I actually caught myself having 1 hour conversations with myself in with the mirror, late at night in an attempt to make myself tired.
Then someone said I might suffer from SAD, I laughed. So did my family when I told them about this strange mood I get in winter. But in the last few years, same thing. I can't work. I can't be happy. I couldn't even stay in a relationship, I always break up around this time because I get so depressed and unhappy and just become very anti-social.
This year, after pressure from my girlfriend (we got back together over the summer) and my family saying I should give a try. I got myself this, it's a bit pricy but the internet said it was worth it. It was. I've been using it now for the last few weeks, the last week I've seen the biggest improvement in my mood as rubbish November is now here in Scotland. Long Answer Short. My sad lamp has made my happier, I feel better, more energy. I even close my eyes and lean really close, almost touching the lamp with my noise because for a few seconds, it feels like I'm in Thailand with the warmth of the sun on my face.
My top tip, this lamp works best as soon as you get up. When you wake up in bed, get up and turn it on. It will wake you up, and it works best that way. I cheated a few times, waking up, be a bit lazy, and I didn't actually turn on my lamp until 11am. And it just doesn't work...I don't get the same feel good feeling of energy. I just sit here with my laptop and my lamp beaming into my face. With November here, I keep it going as long as I'm working at my computer. It's already so dark outside.
I seriously recommend this to people, especially if you get similar symptoms and you're from a country that gets sun all year round from 6am to 6pm. But I seriously recommend it, I noticed it's effects within my first use. Lumie people say you'll feel a difference in a few days, but top tip. Get into a habit of using this to wake you up, especially if you wake up at 6am and its pitch black like I do.
A must buy, 100%. Works great, feels great. Big button so that you can turn it on when half asleep.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad light, 14 Dec 2012
This review is from: Lumie Arabica SAD Light Box - Therapy Lamp (Personal Care)
This light has completely changed my life. Easy to use, simple instructions. All you have to do is plug it in switch on, sit back and the light does the rest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Has made evening naps a thing of the past, 13 Jan 2011
Amazon Customer - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lumie Arabica SAD Light Box - Therapy Lamp (Personal Care)
I bought this for my wife as a Christmas present. She's from California and this is her first full Scottish winter. Suffice to say, she's been suffering from both a lack of vitamin D and brightness in her life. Her energy levels were low and she'd frequently fall asleep while reading, the book still open on her lap, or even when watching films or TV in the evening.

I can't verify the medical claims made in the blurb for this product, but a few things are very clear to me after using it:

1. It's really, really difficult to fall asleep under its intense glare. Shut your eyes to it and you don't get darkness, you get a rose glow that reminds you that there's blood in your lids and you shouldn't be falling asleep at 8pm.
2. It's a brilliant reading lamp. Paperback text is washed in its white light and becomes much easier to read than your regular, fairly dim, energy saving bulbs.
3. Placed correctly, it will light up a whole room very effectively.
4. It can be tough to switch on, sometimes. The button is quite stiff and occasionally requires a bracing hand on the back of the lamp to operate it. Not ideal if it's beside your bed and you're trying to switch it on in the morning.

It's brilliant. I only worry about the expense of changing the bulbs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 15 Jan 2013
This review is from: Lumie Arabica SAD Light Box - Therapy Lamp (Personal Care)
Purchased this for my Dad who suffers really badly from SAD especially Nov-March evey year. HAving read alot about these lights and having seen the feedback I decided it was worth the 'investment' for his sanity and ours! Well it is about 3 weeks since he started using it, 20mins a day and I have to say I have noticed a masssive improvement, lets hope it lasts. Decided to spend the extra on a more 'premium' product , as I read some negative reviews about noise and flashing light. Happy with my investment.

Lumie Arabica SAD Light Box - Therapy Lamp