5.0 out of 5 stars the best CD I own, 27 Mar. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Heartbeat City (Audio CD)
I remember exactly where and when I heard "Heartbeat City" for the first time. I was in the Crest Hotel in Basildon, in beautiful Essex, early one crummy morning in October 1985. The title song had just come out as a single, as the Cars' follow-up to the Live Aid theme tune "Drive".
The intro started playing. And it was completely stunning. Shivers went down my spine as I stopped what I was doing. I dropped my toothbrush. I forgot my name. I bought the album.
I wore it out. I bought another one. I wore that out. I bought a CD. I wore that out too. I've now bought it four times...
There isn't a weak song on it. It's so good it hurts...

5.0 out of 5 stars A lost classic, 14 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Heartbeat City (MP3 Download)
I first bought this album back when it came out, as an album! It must have been 15 years since I lost my copy of the tape and I bought this with great expectation. I was not let down.

All those memories came flooding back and I was lost in the early eighties again. But then I re-evaluated the album and despite the fact I am biased, I realised that it is still one hell of a good set of tracks. The production quality alone shows how advanced the Cars and their team were. Crisp, fresh and vibrant. Admittedly by todays standards the songs are somewhat dated but so are 'swing' songs and they are widely accepted and so should these be. It is a shame that 'Drive' should overshadow the album, after its over-exposure, but very touching use during the Ethiopean famine reports which led to Live Aid. So many of the other tracks are well crafted and complex enough to keep you listening and lively enough to get your toes tapping.
If you want to re-live the eighties and some great american rock then this is for you. If you were not around in the eighties but want to buy an album that demonstrates the good things from the era, then buy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Oldie but oh so Goody!!!, 3 Sept. 2010
Mrs. R. Holt "cyberpym" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heartbeat City (Audio CD)
This record came from a sad time in my life but it brings back memories of my husband who died 3 years ago and I want to remember everything about him. My favourite track: Drive is hauntingly sad but the whole record is so good and fits into the music of today as if it was made now.

5.0 out of 5 stars SHM CD doesn't disappoint., 20 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Heartbeat City (Audio CD)
This is a beautiful edition of The Cars 1984 album. I had the standard CD issue which never sounded much cop. I know there was also a gold CD version which I don't own so can't comment on, though fans state it was a significant improvement over the RB CD.

The SHM CD looks and sounds magnificent. It comes in a mini LP cardboard sleeve which replicates the original gatefold perfectly and the sound is clear and bright, but not in a compressed way, I might add. It honestly sounds like it could have been recorded yesterday and songs like Magic, Drive, You Might Think and the stand-out title track spring into life as never before.

This is part of a 6 SHM CD collection released in Japan and although HC is the only Cars album I've ever heard, I'm strongly tempted to get the rest in the hopes that I've missed out on some excellent music.

5.0 out of 5 stars A highpoint in the mid eighties, 24 Jan. 2009
H. Jones "H" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heartbeat City (Audio CD)
This album kept me going through the worst of 1985 and into '86. So although it invokes a certain period for me I believe that it will generate an interesting experience for any new discerning listener. It's from a time when pop music was generally rather safe in the post punk era. The Cars and Blondie kept it real. Invest the time and be rewarded.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss this... it's gonna' get you!, 16 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Heartbeat City (MP3 Download)
The whole album is great - takes your mind on a delight of a journey.

'Drive' will bring on a tear.

'Heartbreak City' will cause you to reflect - well I did!

The album will make you wonder how these guys could write such music!

Pour a glass... settle back... enjoy!

Join me... let go!

5.0 out of 5 stars EVERY TRACK IS EXCELLENT !, 15 Aug. 2008
R Sabatini (Glasgow , Scotland.) - See all my reviews
TWO WORDS - BUY IT !
EVER BOUGHT AN ALBUM OR CD ON THE STRENGTH OF A COUPLE OF HITS FROM THE BAND,ONLY TO BE DISAPPOINTED THAT THERE ARE SOME STINKERS IN-BETWEEN ?

WELL....YOU( DON'T )HAVE TO WORRY WITH THIS C.D!....EVERY TRACK ON IT IS EXCELLENT, HONESTLY !......BUY THIS LITTLE TREASURE, IF YOU LIKE 80'S SYNTH MUSIC.....IT'S SUPERBLY CRAFTED POP , THE PRODUCTION VALUES - SOUND MIX ( LISTEN TO IT WITH HEADPHONES )CATCHY LYRICS & FOR ME THE TRACKLISTING IS PERFECT, AS EACH SONG NICELY FOLLOWS ON FROM ONE ANOTHER.

SO YOU TEND TO WANT TO LISTEN TO THE WHOLE C.D
IN MY PERSONAL TOP 10 FOR MOST ENJOYABLE TO LISTEN TO YES,(IT IS THAT GOOD)A PERFECT PEACE OF MAGIC.........11 OUT OF 10 !

5.0 out of 5 stars Ugly music..........NO!, 13 April 2007
Mr. J. Hulme (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heartbeat City (Audio CD)
This is one if not the best album that came out of the dire 80's music.
From the first heart stopping song to the last it's BRILLIANT.Play it loud **** the neighbours!
This album? Should now be played track by track on radio 2, it is sooooo good.
Buy it please? You will not be disappointed, trust me......

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbeat City - The Cars, 7 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Heartbeat City (Audio CD)
I have loved this album since it was first out, listened to it on and off over the years and was mortified recently to find the cassette cover with no tape inside. Hooray - Amazon had it on CD. I can play it in my car now too. It's a classic CD and I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars the cars, 19 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Heartbeat City (Audio CD)
i had this album over 20 years ago and it took me back to a time i remember so well of memories long forgotten very nostalgic

Heartbeat City