5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful album
Published on 5 Aug 2005 by kartoffel

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good
When I first listened to this album, I felt it a little corny, but have sinced learnt to love it. His voice is pretty good for someone so young and the only way to describe the songs is by saying they are nice.
Don't Let it Go, the last track, is by far the greatest, although Remember when it rained, 10, is also excellent.
He has great control over his voice and...
Published on 21 Sep 2004 by elephant_o

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful album, 5 Aug 2005
This review is from: Closer (U.K. Version) (Audio CD)
I bought Josh Groban's debut album about half a year ago and then bought Closer recently. I am glad that I have listened to his debut first because Closer is an album that is a lot more emotional and it shows that he is more mature in his singing. My favourite tracks are Mi Mancherai, Per Te and Remember When It Rained, partly because I like the orchestral arrangment for the songs. This CD is highly recommended. I can't wait to get his next album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch Album, 18 Nov 2003
This review is from: Closer (Audio CD)
The wait for this album is now over. Now the music rolls on from the debut album - Josh Groban...and the teaser Live album, where we first heard Broken Vow.
Broken Vow is heard here in CLOSER .... beautiful arrangement. This studio version is more intimate than the live version and takes us into the betrayal of this relationship.
Amongst the songs collected here, You Raise Me Up is truly outstanding. A cover of Secret Garden's gem. The opening, similarly, with Uilleann pipes sets the mood of the Irish Famine as pictured with the stirring lyric. Josh and team have done an exquisite take, made it quite his own. And I still love Secret Garden's version....
Paul Schwartz and David Foster's ALL'IMPROVVISO AMORE is another brilliant track. Punchy as the choppy sea...fluid as Josh's voice. I'm so impressed.
Joshua Bell's opening in MI MANCHERAI from il postino is typical of his standard - brilliant. Josh's voice flows into the song and again, fills it with poetry. More than I can say for Deborah Harry's version in English. As much as I love Deborah, her set of English lyric did nothing for the melody, which is recorded for the Cinema Italiano album.
Never Let Go is somewhat disappointing; a rather so-so track with Eric Mouquet. The voice does not sit into the song, or is it the other way, I cannot say.
Remember When It Rained with Eric Mouquet is so much better. Add the words, written by Josh and the song is very attractive. The arrangement sets the moody tone of rain and tears...
And there's something for everyone: a spanish track, a french one, throw in Lucio Dalla's Caruso and you get, all together, a very very impressive album from this young man.
Production-wise, this album sounds very good, with the vocals still warm and earthly.
Josh's voice has grown and the maturity shines through with smoothness and grace. Great album. Keep enjoying your work Josh and keep performing..
Thanks for the music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goosebumps every time!, 23 Dec 2003
This review is from: Closer (U.K. Version) (Audio CD)
This was the first Josh Groban CD I bought, but I'll definitely buy his debut album now. To think that someone so young can make an album of such magnitude! He is a truly gifted singer and thank God he can share this gift with the rest of the world through his CD's. I can't wait until he comes to Europe for a concert.
There isn't a song on this album that doesn't take my breath away, although my favourites are Mi Mancherai (the "duet" with the violin works magically), When you say you love me and You raise me up.
Buying this album is worth everyting you spend on it and makes a great (romantic) gift as well.
Take beautiful lyrics, amazing musical compositions and the astonishing voice of Josh Groban and - in my opinion - you have one of the greatest albums of all times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Stunning!, 18 July 2004
Crafty Marie "mariej30" (Cambs) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Closer (U.K. Version) (Audio CD)
A simply stunning musical arrangement with the amazing voice of Josh Groban. A varied album conveying a wealth of emotions and musical styles. While Josh seems to have a preference for sad songs, the mood of this entire album is extremely uplifting - and the tracks which stand out in particular are: Oceano, Si Volvieras a Mi, All 'Improvviso Amore, You Raise Me Up and Never Let Go with Deep Forest.
Not a whiff of cheese at all - although if that's your thing you should try Enrique Iglesias who is a master at cheese.
Josh is a highly talented singer and with the album being co-produced by David Foster (St. Elmos Fire) you can expect nothing less than sheer brilliance. Each and every time I listen to the album I hear something new. If you're unsure, go along to his website joshgroban.com where you can test-play the tracks. Very strongly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sends shivers down the spine!, 29 Jan 2005
This review is from: Closer (U.K. Version) (Audio CD)
Josh Groban was a voice I'd wanted to listen to for a while but I kept putting off buying this CD because I wasn't quite sure that I would like it. I got given an on-line voucher and Josh immediately sprung to mind!
Now I'm sooooo glad I did! Since the album arrived 3 days ago it has been playing on my stereo nearly continuously. The more I listen to it, the more I fall in love with his voice. How is that this guy is not more well known?!?
I guess you could class his genre as something along the lines of "opera/pop".
My favourite song has to be "You Raise Me Up", it is truely beautiful and the lyrics are so inspiring. Every time I hear "Oceano" it sends a strange shiver down my spine.
I have literally just ordered Josh's first, self-titled, album and can't wait to receive it!
I truely feel I've uncovered a true musical gem. I will be buying every album Josh can pump out. I'm only sad I didn't buy it earlier!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 12 Nov 2003
This review is from: Closer (U.K. Version) (Audio CD)
I'm listening to the album right now on [...] and I can say that this is an amazing album. Any fans of Josh Groban from his debut eponymous album will not be disappointed and anybody new to Josh Groban will fall in love with this guy's voice!
The vocal talent displayed is amazing and Josh Groban has also written a few songs for this album and played the piano part for "Remember When It Rained". This is a good selection of songs and there are a couple ("Broken Vow" and "My Confession") that could leave you in tears while the soaring crescendo on the first single from this album "You Raise Me Up" will leave you... raised!
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars. Keep up the excellent work Josh, 27 Nov 2003
This review is from: Closer (U.K. Version) (Audio CD)
I toyed whether to go with 4 or 5 stars (wasn't sure about a couple of the song choices), but felt that it deserved the extra star just because it's Josh and I could wax lyrical about his voice. That might not sound very constructive, but I think the main reason a person will enjoy this album is for Josh's voice.

Oceano is a great cd opener - upbeat and with an epic and nautical feel of the title. It might not be quite up there with Alle Luce Del Sole from his debut album, but it's close. Mi Manchherai is a gorgeous combination of the two Joshes (Joshua Bell on Violin), proving that you don't have to duet with another vocalist - voice and violin blend perfectly. Then Si Volvieras a Mi provides a variation on the "2 Josh" theme with Josh harmonising on backing vocals with his own lead vocal on the chorus - sublime (Perhaps it's the Spanish as I loved Alejate on the first album.) I can acknowledge that When You Say You Love Me is a bit of a cheesy Celion Dion style song, but he sings it so well that I don't care, and I loved hearing Josh hitting some falsetto notes. Two stand-out tracks are co-written by Josh (lyrics by Josh, music co-written by Josh), and are Remember When It Rained and Never Let Go. They are simply structured but effective pop songs as opposed to any kind of classical crossover style song. Never Let Go, especially, is quite a departure with voice sampling/distortion - I would certainly look forward to further collaboration with Deep Forest. It's so encouraging that Josh wants to do something different when he's involved in the writing process; although he also co-wrote the music on Per Te which has a more classical sound. I was looking forward to Caruso and I wasn't disappointed in Josh's performance. Having heard several versions of the song I can say that this is an equal favourite with Bocelli (I saw Pavorotti sing the same song on Parkinson. I found his version too over the top/dramatic for my taste. Before any opera fans get irate I am not comparing their voices - Josh isn't an opera singer).

A couple of songs - My Confession, Hymme a L'Amour - didn't grab my attention on a first listen, but do improve with repeated listenings. All 'Improvviso Amore is the most disappointing song on the album. I can't help but sing along, but there's something about it that jars - probably the intermittent "d-d-d-da" fanfare - David Foster must have thought he was writing a theme for an Olympic opening ceremony. Still catchy though.

This album offers a similar selection of songs to his debut album - it's understandable that the team don't want to scare off any fans - but I do believe it gives a peak into the future by showing a looser, more conventionally "pop" side to Josh. On his first cd, everything was sung in the same classical style (certainly nothing wrong with that), but on this album (more so if you have the special or internet edition) we hear a lighter side to his voice. He's still finding his musical direction (he is only 22) and I look forward to watching his voice and style grow on later albums

I have to mention the Special and Internet edition cds that are available. I definitely recommend that you try to get your hands on the 4 extra tracks. The special edition has Mi Morena which showcases a beautiful light and airy side to Josh's voice that I hadn't heard before, and She's Out of My Life (the Michael Jackson track). Simply done and all the more beautiful. The internet edition has 2 more tracks on top of that - Your The Only Place and My December. For anyone who has seen the PBS concert DVD, You're The Only Place is the song that Josh starts to play when David Foster asks him to play something on the piano. My December is a Linkin Park song (seriously!), which was already a good song but was crying out for a voice to go with it. Special & Internet Edition cds both come with a fun 20-30mins DVD, showing a bit of Josh at work and Hymme a L' Amour. Go on splash out.

So turn up the volume and immerse yourself in Josh!

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, 21 Sep 2004
This review is from: Closer (U.K. Version) (Audio CD)
He has great control over his voice and has turned traditional opera into a modern pop genre, (popera), without losing any quality like some other artists i have listened to.
Worth listening to BEFORE you purchase as it may not be everyone's taste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 22 July 2005
This review is from: Closer (U.K. Version) (Audio CD)
If you like Mario Frangoulis, you will like Josh Groban. Its hard to believe he is so young. What a gifted voice. Truly an uplifting album even if you don't understand Italian or French.

5.0 out of 5 stars How have I missed Josh Groban's voice until now?, 7 Jan 2005
D E Tupper (Suffolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Closer (Audio CD)
I first heard Josh sing Oceano on the Royal Variety Show, and thought he was wonderful. I don't know why I haven't heard him before. I immediately sent for 'Closer', the first album and his DVD. I was certainly not disappointed. His voice is wonderful on the more classical songs as well as the more modern ones. I love 'Oceano', it is so different to anything else I have heard before. My other favourites are 'Remember when it rained', 'The prayer','Per Te', 'When you say you love me', which is very personal to me, being newly wed, and 'To where you are' is heartbreaking. I noticed that 'Closer' was in HMV only at number 86, let's try and spread the songs of Josh throughout the land!!