4.0 out of 5 stars Disney Nature brings us new True Life Adventures
Published on 23 Jun 2010 by Penny Gibbins

2.0 out of 5 stars Not family friendly
I would say 50% of this documentary is about baby flamingo's being killed. Understand reflecting 'the wild' but not what you expect from a Disney production.
Published 6 months ago by symongarner

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Disney Nature brings us new True Life Adventures, 23 Jun 2010
This review is from: Crimson Wing [DVD] (DVD)
I must admit I'm not much of nature documentary fan but after seeing the trailer for Crimson Wing I decided to rent the film from itunes. I was so impressed that I have since bought the movie and soundtrack. The film follows the life of flamingo's on Lake Natron in Tanzania. The cinematography was breathtaking and together with the moving soundtrack it gave the film real depth. I can't wait to see any new documentaries that come from Disney Nature. I'd also recommend the soundtrack to the film The Crimson Wing: Mystery Of The Flamingos as well as the track 'To Build A Home' which was featured in the trailer.

4.0 out of 5 stars fabulous flamingos and show of the rift valley, 4 Dec 2011
This review is from: Crimson Wing [DVD] (DVD)
A must see film for lovers of African landscape and flamingos - lesser flamingos take center stage here as they nest upon the salt islands of the hostile lake natron at the center of Africas great rift valley. The film follows the courtship,nesting and rearing of the grey chicks who then must march across the dried salty lake bed to the lakes edges where they grow to fledge.After this the film does become rather repetitive and perhaps boring if you are not smitten by flamingos.A brilliant peice of natural film making non - the less. the film does not hide the harsh battle the birds face in their habitat and at the end a message tells the viewer that the whole lake is at risk from human development - a soda ash plant!

The at times annoying soundtrack which would be better being left out for periods allowing the calls of the flamingos themselves to be more noticed and silly words used by the narrator Mariella Fostrup who's voice does suit and add to the film but the script she reads left me baffled - saying a flamingo chick was grooming rather than preening! the fact that the larger greater flamingos nest among the lessers is also missed out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't let the sugar coated narration put you off, 9 July 2013
Nipper "Glynis Johns Loony" (Maceira, Torres Vedras Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crimson Wing [DVD] (DVD)
First I have to confess that I love Flamingos. So although it is Walt Disney, and I knew the narration would probably make me ill, I went ahead and got it. I don't regret one bit. Firstly the irritating narration by Mariella Frostrup IS gooey. But if you are capable of tuning that out, the visual rewards are amazing. I advise to turn down the sound a little and just sit back and watch these amazingly beautiful, but equally funny, creatures. I loved it. The five stars are for the flamingoes, and they are worth it

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing documentary, 2 Jun 2013
This review is from: Crimson Wing [DVD] (DVD)
An amazing documentary, with one of the best original soundtracks of the last many many years. An unexpected surprise from Disney.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and beautiful film, 19 Dec 2013
This review is from: Crimson Wing [Blu-ray] [2009] (Blu-ray)
Hi this is very beautiful story about Flamingos. Few scenes about chick suffering but done with realitism. Shows the beauty and love of those birds giving to their chicks. Best scene: when they have their 'dance'.
Would recommend to everyone that love real story told in nature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flamingos, 18 Oct 2013
D. Ainge "angel" (Wales UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crimson Wing [DVD] (DVD)
Very good film depicting the life cycle of Flamingos. Sad in places but that is nature. Very informative and educational.

5.0 out of 5 stars bought as a gift, 9 Aug 2013
This review is from: Crimson Wing [DVD] (DVD)
My Dad is an avid animal documentary watcher and he loved this film. Even my Mum and I who are not so loved this film. The filming is great, and the score fits perfectly to the action shot. It's a really interesting insight into the lives of the flamingoes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: Crimson Wing [DVD] (DVD)
Lovely documentary, not for the really young they might find it a bit boring, but beautifully done by Disney. Thanks

2.0 out of 5 stars Not family friendly, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Crimson Wing [Blu-ray] [2009] (Blu-ray)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Poetic Documentary Ever!, 13 Feb 2014
This review is from: Crimson Wing [DVD] (DVD)
I recently saw this on the BBC so have not yet seen it again on the DVD, but I have to say that it was the most poetic documentary I have ever seen on Nature and I've seen many. A must for not just nature lovers but for anyone who loves photography at it's best.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Crimson Wing [Blu-ray] [2009]
Crimson Wing [Blu-ray] [2009] by Leander Ward (Blu-ray - 2010)