4.7 out of 5 stars1,393
Format: DVD|Change

on 22 November 2011
One of the best animated children's films this century!! As an adult I too was thoroughly entertained, humour was great, the children understood all the subtle jokes, and we have seen it several times.
on 2 April 2011
I have seen quite a lot of reviews from people who have seen it in the States before it came out over here and thought it was a 'must have' film to get on DVD. I really enjoyed watching it but found Steve Carell's accent for the voiceover slightly irritating and annoying. For me, the film would've been better with a different voiceover. The animation was brilliant as expected and the three little girls gave the film the 'awwww' factor, especially little Agnes with her love for Unicorns. But I think the 'star' of Despicable Me has got to be the Minions which were brilliant and extremely funny down from the voice and all the crazy things they were getting themselves into trouble with. All in all a very 'viewable' experience and I don't regret buying it, but I still prefer 'Ratatouille [DVD] [2007]' and WALL-E (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [2008], just for the atmosphere, which 'Despicable Me' was somehow lacking.
on 16 March 2011
We can all empathise with the main character Gru.
I especially enjoyed the "droids" which I found funny and charming.
These guys would make ideal soft toys and I would have one (I'm 57 for goodness sake)

There are so many scenes that had me laughing out loud, much to the amusement of my grand-kids who missed the joke.

The animation is brilliant. So much expression.
This is a DVD you will watch more than once.
on 22 April 2011
Despicable Me is an excellent family film. After seeing the trailer I expected to hate it, but I was completely converted. We saw it at the cinema first time and there were plenty of adults who were obviously there on sufferance but it had everyone putting their i-phones away and laughing out loud. It's very funny and it has something for everyone. Our whole family love it and have watched it again and again.
on 2 April 2011
This might be one of the best-looking Blu-Rays you can get. The quality on a big set is gorgeous, which makes the amazing designs of things like the cars/planes/Gru's house all look outstanding.
Plot-wise, our bad guy isn't as despicable as parents may fear - he's a faintly 'has-been' bad guy, overshadowed by a new breed of younger and more obnoxious supervillains, their comically absurd schemes relayed by funny news reports and wonderfully unexpected events. Gru himself is an entertaining character with a very distinctive personality, and his tic-tac shaped yellow minions are one of the biggest joys of the movie as they race around crashing into things with hyperactive maniacal gibber-jabber and ridiculous behaviour. In terms of the plot, Gru decides to adopt some orphans to help him in a scheme, and I'll leave it there, as the storyline is very strong in terms of the way its characters develop, and one of the greatest pleasures of the film is seeing how the characters end up affecting or changing one another. The orphan girls are funny, likeable, mischievous, plucky and adorable by turns, and never veer into syrupy schmaltz for more than a split second before it's defused by some sarcastic gag.
Adults are likely to find the parenting storyline a delight because it's so well written and funny, and kids will love the vibrant colours and comical minions. There is a lot of action, some amazingly inventive chases, and a very satisfying ending.
It's emotionally rich, comically clever, and highly lovable. Steve Carrell is great as Gru. I'm wondering however about the point of having celebrity voice-overs in a film where Carrell is unrecogniseable with an Eastern European accent (it's his performance of it that zings), and Russell Brand doesn't sound anything at all like Russell Brand (as his character requires none of his manic comedy). Surely having the name on the poster becomes a bit redundant when you can't tell that they're in the film...?
Anyway, a brilliant film that deserves a place in your collection.
on 9 March 2011
I will start but giving my views on the film and the 3D after. The story is very original and highly enjoyable, all the characteurs do what was intended, i.e. Kids cute and loveable and villian evil and annoying! The film has some very funny bits and is quite touching over all I give the film full marks, its nearly my fav film now! Now for the 3D, it made it even better there was no ghosting what so ever, theres excellent depth thro the whole movie and the pop out was even better, the fairground and space scence where amazin and when the rocket landed outside the school it looked like the front of it was a foot from my face! I had no idea home 3D could rival the cinema but this film showed me it can and single handedly justified 1200 for the tv! (samsung ps50c7000) over all this film is quality thro and thro and if you want to show off your 3D tv get this invite your mates round and look at the faces it will be mouths open all round! Just buy it and enjoy!
on 13 February 2011
This movie is really great! It's funny for both adults and children with so many twists and turns and is full of unexpected events that will make you laugh and go: Awww! It is original because the main character Gru, is actually a villain and despite learning to love and care for the three girls he adopts, he never turns away from the path of evil. Though he's not that competent as a super villain. Then there's also the little yellow henchmen and his... dog. Nobody know what they are or where they come from... but they are hilarious! I saw this movie three times in less than a week and laughed as much every time. I strongly recommend it!
on 25 March 2011
I watched this film on the flight back to the UK from Australia and couldn't believe that I hadn't given it the time of day before this. I laughed throughout. It is really cute and has a great storyline to add to the overall movie. The minions are the funniest part of it and I cannot recommend this film enough. Its a must see for adults and children. Hope you enjoy!
on 12 March 2011
I'm 20 years old and realised this film was probably targeted at children/families.
However, it stars Steve Carell - who happens to be one of my favourite actors - as well as Russell Brand (who has a small part), who I follow through his works. I am also a big kid at heart.

The voice acting is really well done by Carell and, of course, this is a beautifully animated film. I watched this on Bluray and the colours and sharpness are excellently presented. I imagine it looks great in 3D and you can make out where they'd implement it.
The plot, in short, is led by the main character Gru (Steve Carell) wanting to take over the world and be known as the biggest criminal and bad-guy there ever was. Simple enough. However, when the pyramids in Egypt are stolen he realises he is not the only one with this intent. He gathers his minions (the little green things) and formulates a plan to steal the moon... as you do. Without giving much away (and let's be honest you could read the plot in the DVD details if that's what you wanted) Gru has to adopt three orphans in order to get his hands on a secret weapon to assist his plan.

He ends up becoming distracted as a father-figure and has to decide what's really important to him. I won't ruin the ending. This film is absolutely worth watching and I'm sure kids will adore it.
on 28 February 2011
Bought this for my daughter as we missed it when it was out at the cinema.
We watched it on Friday night and I had tears rolling down my cheeks. This is a brilliant film.
To reiterate another review Russell Brand is annoying (as ever) but the humour from Gru and especially the minions more than makes up for that.
Highly watchable and thoroughly enjoyable film for all ages.
p.s. does anyone else think Gru and Avram Grant were separated at birth?