Format: DVDChange

on 23 July 2010
The Adventures of Clutch Powers has a good story and looks excellent, but what really makes it great fun for kids who love Lego is the attention to detail.

Well, I say attention to detail, you could also say product placement. Basically, the story contains scenes and characters from all of the Lego spectrum; Lego City, Power Miners, Space Police and lots of Lego Castle. There are scenes which contain identifiable sets from the Lego collection, down to the specific details. I'm surprised in some scenes they didn't give the set numbers. My 6 year old son was shouting "I've got that" (to the City Police Station) and "I want that" (to the Skull Castle), and was pleased to see different recognisable mini figures throughout. And that was a big part of the fun.

The other good thing is the way the characters build their way out of problems and tricky situations. A bit like the A-Team. They have the pieces, and in some scenes they visualise the different things they could build before coming to the right decision. So that is fun as well.

The animation is good and the humour is in the style of the cut scenes from the Lego computer games (eg Star Wars, Harry Potter etc), which is good.

So all in all, I was really pleased with this because my sons loved it, and I think most children who love Lego will get a kick out of this.
0Comment32 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 July 2010
Well, this is the only film that my children have ever watched over and over, they love it...5 and 7 years...and avid Lego fans! Even Daddy enjoyed watching it, all my two asked was, 'Are there any more Lego films?' Lego you're onto a good one here!
on 9 September 2010
I bought this with the inevitably rainy summer holidays in mind. I have grandsons aged 6 and 4 and they both enjoyed this film. The older boy found it funny, the younger one just enjoyed seeing all the Lego! They particularly enjoyed the castle scenes with the evil wizard, troll warrior, skeletons etc.

I found the 'message' about everyone helping each other in order to solve problems a bit heavy-handed and I agree with other comments about the advertising via product placement and the trailers for Legoland - but that's looking at a children's film through cynical adult eyes, I suppose! All-in-all, a good buy.
on 31 December 2012
With a running time of 1hr 18 mins this is worth the £2.99. Clutch Powers is the best builder and explore in the LEGO universe and his adventure leads the team to the medieval world of Ashlar where they encounter skeletons, dragons, knights, wizards and castles. Brilliant adventure and excellent use of the LEGO characters; it really is engaging to watch. It is classified as U as it contains mild violence and threat but the biggest aspect that my three and a half year old needed explaining was why the troll appeared to eat Clutch Powers (it is to save him and he doesn't really eat him). Thoroughly enjoyable and the start of a new collection of DVDs I think.
on 1 May 2011
This film is great and even entertaining for adults as it contains a humorous/adventure format that will appeal to most ages.

However it is not suitable for all ages as it contains scary bits and also at times is a bit dark and evil.

I would think it is suitable age 5-7 upwards but realise if you have subjected your kids to most U rated films they will be used to it. Kids love colors, etc. they don't need scary bits, so I don't really understand why it must contain such scenes. We have to fast-forward esp. the first 10 minutes where a monster is roaring and our 4 year old gets scared.

Also I don't understand who is giving this and many other kids films a U-rating that I think shouldn't have. Please compare this to Strawberry Shortcake, both are U rated, yet there is a world of difference.

Otherwise a great great film. If you are familiar with the Lego video games and love them this is very similar in format and style.
on 7 August 2010
If your child loves Lego they will LOVE this movie.
My child has watched this SO many times and still thinks it's great. In fact it's the only movie I've seen in "kids films" that I honestly don't mind watching again and again. It is really quite funny too.
FAB
on 14 May 2013
This is the first Lego movie, and what a fantastic movie it is. Adults may get the Indiana Jones type references. I love the two songs at the beginning and end of the films- great rhythm (please released these!) The animation of the Lego world is brilliant with care taken not to alter the lego mini figures too much so its believable and the clever use of the Lego worlds that children may recognise and the important lesson of team work. I hope they make sequels of this movie as their mission was clearly not finished. I also recommend the Lego Star Wars movies for excellent animation and storytelling. This movie appeals to many ages, from 5 years old to 55 years old. there is a bit of comedy as Lego building occurs and the different methods in which to do it.
on 11 March 2013
This film is great fun for all ages and has plenty of adult humour in it as well!
My son has just turned 5 and is a big lego fan and has watched this over and over again.
Definately one to add to your DVD collection!
on 15 April 2014
Lots of cringeworthy jokes but my two Lego-loving daughters were more than pacified (in the wait for the latest Lego Movie to come out on DVD) by this film and the special features weren't bad either.
on 28 March 2013
I have 3 boys aged 5,4,and 2 and they all seem to enjoy this film. It is just right for little Lego fans with enough suspense but nothing too scary. I would highly recommend this film.