on 6 September 2010
Had to get a new cable as I got a new MacBook Pro laptop recently and the firewire connection is upgraded from the old iMac G5 (2005) I was using previously (from firewire 400 to 800 I think), so I needed a new cable to connect my new MacBook Pro to my Canon XL1 video camera. This is the cable that does the job very well.

I choose this cable over the others on Amazon as it was listed as a 'Pro' cable and looked quality and I wasn't disappointed (especially with the good price). I am very pleased as this is a really good quality cable (always a worry when ordering cables online). It has a good quality build and nice professional design and silver/steel metallic finish with plastic coating and the connection was really fast with no problems. Similar cables in PC world were £17-£24 so this is a great deal.

Just to confirm, as it took me a while searching for the right cable - this cable fits the firewire for the latest MacBook Pro released in 2010, which is Firewire 800 I believe. So if you've just upgraded your mac and wondered why your cable no longer fits from your firewire connected device, this is the one. :)

I ordered this cable from Neet Cables and it arrived very fast - within days of ordering.
on 12 October 2010
This cable works just fine and coils up neatly when not needed. If you want one of these to transfer all your old Mac settings to a new one consider using the Ethernet ports and a standard router cable instead. I found it faster than Firewire 800.
on 10 September 2010
Having bought a new iMac I needed to upgrade my firewire cable (from 400 to 800) to get video from camcorder to computer. It took a bit of research to work out what I wanted, and I opted to avoid the very cheapest cables. The NEET one claimed and appeared to be very good quality for a reasonable price. From memory, I ordered it in the evening and the cable arrived the next day - astonishingly fast. I am no techie expert, but I am very happy with the quality of the cable and of the images now on my iMac. A happy customer
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 January 2011
I was all set to transfer files from an old iMac to my new one only to discover that the new iMac has a different Firewire slot to the older one (2006 vintage). I only had a cable with the old-style plugs on each end and had to transfer the files using Airport Extreme WiFi, which took over 4 hours. I've got the correct cable now and it fits and works and so can copy more files from another older iMac more easily.
on 25 January 2011
I have bought a couple of different cables from Neet over the last couple of years, all have performed exceedingly well, and have lasted, so they are well made.So when I bought an Imac to supplement my Mac book pro, I was looking for a fire wire cable to connect both computers to enable me to transfer my Mac book Pro hard drive to my newly acquired Imac.
I did a Google search for a fire wire (mentioning Neet cables in the search) and was directed to the Amazon web site and subsequently placed an order - well, at over 60% cheaper than the original so It was a no brainer really given my past experience with their cables...
one word of caution though be careful, there are a few varieties of fire wire cable, depending on your mac and / or mac book pro - make sure you know which one you need - check the apple docs carefully.
Anyway - the cable arrived in good time, around 2 days I recall - eagerly I fired up the IMac , connected the mac book pro in a breeze and within 30 minutes had successfully copied all my data,software and personal details - am I impressed? - absolutely, 5 stars
on 17 February 2010
No problems with it securely connecting to the firewire port on my macbook pro, is not loose at all like other purchasers of the sonnet brand adapter mentioned. Highly recommended.
on 29 February 2016
After a period of a few years I had a backlog of DV tapes that needed to be imported to my desktop computer and needed a new Firewire cable to do this as my previous cable could no longer be found. This cable looked like my previous cable and I had good experiences with that in the past. Once the cable arrived I was up an running quickly, and thankfully this cable was indeed like my previous one. As previous reviewers have stated, this cable is of sturdy construction and the length was more than adequate for my use. Also the image transfer is great. The camcorder I connected is the Panasonic GS70B. I hope to buy the Mac Thunderbolt converter so I can use the same cable to connect directly to my iMac desktop. Finally I found that Neet were very responsive to queries, and provided a fast delivery service.
on 14 January 2012
I purchased this 5m 800 Firewire cable with some trepidation, since I need to play relatively uncompressed videos with unusually high bandwidth (eg 500 MB/S) without degradation.

Surely a cheap solution wouldn't do it ? I must need something sophisticated and expensive (and I would be prepared to pay the price). But this cable was cheap enough to give it a try given the very high cost of the alternatives, and the positive reviews.

It does it. Perfectly.

My only problem is that my striped array (ie a RAID array in fast mode) can't handle the bandwidth. Fortunately I have a disc that does. Don't expect a cable to compensate for a drive.

I can't vouch for speeds above 500 MB/S, nor for consistency (since I only have one of these cables). But don't reject this option because it looks "too good" to be true and others suggest you need to pay much much more.

My experience is very good.

My only reason to write this review is that I, like many, don't understand how quality is linked to price in such peripherals, and suspect that some brands live off our fear. I hate that.
on 11 April 2011
My JVC digital camera comes with a special camera-to-firewire 400 cable - no use for my new Macbook Pro with its 800 only socket, so this neat (Neet) little adapter solves the problem nicely and cheaply. Excellent.
on 31 January 2010
Not much to be said for something that is designed to be plug and play, it does what it's designed to do but is invaluable if you have purchased an iMac and want to connect older firewire devices such as video cameras and hard drives. The device allows you to use the cables you already have and the new firewire interface of the iMac can look like the older small firewire cable, it isn't. This does the job.