5.0 out of 5 stars Go buy this one!
Published on 13 May 2011 by elise aertgeerts

3.0 out of 5 stars Seems to be good...
Published on 26 July 2011 by A Practical Reviewer

5.0 out of 5 stars Go buy this one!, 13 May 2011
This review is from: Belly Dance For Beginners [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Great to have a dvd where the movements are repeated long enough to actually get into them and tone the muscles you're using! it doesn't look like a workout but it does make you work!! (30 mins of arm movements in one go!?) it feels just like in BD class where you repeat and variate one movement for several minutes before moving on to something else. Leila's style is relaxed, sympathetic and fun, she explains everything in detail and constantly reminds you of important details while doing the exercises.
The dvd has literally HOURS of of material. I've had it for months and come back to it to exercise certain movements when i feel i'm stuck somewhere .I haven't even got to the integrated movement or dances to follow but i'm already entirely satisfied with this ..
Visual and audio quality is just perfect, setting interesting enough but not distracting, dvd menu gives easy access to chapters ..
It is egyptian style, which is not entirely what my BD class teacher does, but knowing that you can easily adapt the exercises to your own needs (ex more bent knees or other arm poses like in tribal style etc is easy to integrate in this)
I would recommend this to every beginner for home practice as it's incredible value for money, is not intimidating or discouraging, contains HEAPS of exercises and allows you to go through big sections of it or just review a certain chapter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive, Essential, Sensual, 2 May 2013
This review is from: Belly Dance For Beginners [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
As some other reviewers have noted, this is not an energetic work-out DVD. Instead, what you will get is a superb introduction to classic Egyptian belly dance, given by one of Egypt's premier dancers. This DVD gave me my addiction to and love of belly dance - and even though my dancing has progressed in the last five months since I bought it (through classes, workshops and other DVDs) I come back to it over and over again.

Until I got this DVD my only idea of belly dance was of super-fit women doing amazing things with their stomach muscles and balancing swords on their heads, while wearing sequined bras. In this way, the cover went along with my expectations. I bought it hoping that it would help me tone my stomach, as there was no way I could sweat it out at the gym or do crunches before breakfast.

But don't let the cover fool you! The photo is not a good representation of Leila or her style. Egyptian belly dance is not about bling or amazing abdominal feats. It's about music, sensuality and enjoyment - and about the female body and how it moves naturally. Leila is a fantastic teacher. The emphasis is on safety, on moving without strain. She is sweet and likeable, and when she tells you that wobble is a good thing, you believe her! This DVD has stood me in good stead for belly-dance classes. I've progressed quickly and I think it's because I learned the basics from Leila.

As far as exercise goes, there is a double effect - it DOES tone (although there is no cardio and no sweating involved, so don't expect weight loss) and it also has a powerful effect on how you will feel about your body. My posture improved, I moved more gracefully, and I started to accept my body, with all its flaws, in a way that I never have and never imagined I would.

If you are at all curious about belly-dance, or long to dance and move to music but think 'I can never go to jazz/ballet/tap etc because of my age/weight/condition,' then you should buy this immediately. You may not get all of the moves straight away. It's harder than it looks. But if you keep practicing, and go over and over the different sections, you will find that it suddenly falls into place - and you'll never look back.

Some other reviewers found the way the DVD is set up - that you can't just play all the sections through - was inconvenient. I have the opposite reaction. I like it like that. I can plan out my sessions (I'll do arms and hip-circles tonight) and because I can't just press play and go through the lot, like other DVDs, I feel that it is more about getting each move right, listening to my body and my mood, and being in control of my progress. I never feel that I'm failing to keep up, or that I 'should' be able to do the whole lot in one go.

The DVD is pure Egyptian style: no strain, no pressure. Classic Egyptian belly dance - of the type Leila is a perfect and famous example of - is relaxed and soft. It's about moving to music, about getting in touch with your sensuality (whatever your age or body-type), and can be very, very addictive. It was the start of something really amazing for me - and at this price, just give it a go, and go with the flow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 8 Jan 2012
This review is from: Belly Dance For Beginners [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
This is a really gorgeous video, covers all aspects of beginners belly dance in an easy and understandable way. I would recommend this to video to anyone..

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Teacher, 12 Mar 2011
This review is from: Belly Dance For Beginners [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I am really enjoying this alot, she makes it clear and easy to learn belly dance. Good explanation of things and I am feeling more coordinated doing the moves

4.0 out of 5 stars A good all-round Egyptian style teaching DVD, 26 July 2010
S. Richardson "Shunnareh" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Belly Dance For Beginners [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I found this DVD by chance and realised it was by a well known American dancer currently performing in Egypt. It's not very often you get a DVD like this, i.e. by someone who dances modern Egyptian style, has made a name for herself in Egypt, and is using good filming technique, clear directions, etc.

For anyone past Beginner level the DVD is of limited use, unless, like me, you are interested in looking at different teaching styles. However, if you are a Beginner and taking current classes, this is a DVD that will demonstrate how oriental dance is currently being performed in Egypt. If you can't afford a trip to Egypt, or to one of the festivals where the top name Egyptian stars are teaching, do yourself a favour and buy this one. Don't be put off by the "have fun, feel great" and "transform yourself" labels on the cover - this one is not a fitness DVD but a genuine dance instructional one.

Shunnareh

4.0 out of 5 stars Develop your skills, 13 Feb 2011
This review is from: Belly Dance For Beginners [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I was inspired to write by reading a review that stated that this would be of little use to anyone beyond beginners. Ok it starts by going over basic moves - worth a review if only to add egyptian styling. However, the dvd also covers travelling with various moves and even covers walking with an egyptian shimmy which I am still struggling with after 5 years. The advertised dances to learn are just practice flows and could not be performed - but you could dance along to the lovely performance at the end. Annoyingly, you cannot set it to play throgh as it returns to the menu between each section. nonetheless, this is a useful dvd for the money for loverws of egyptian dance. Although if it cost any more the rating would be lower

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners, 31 July 2012
This review is from: Belly Dance For Beginners [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I have two left feet so I bought this to help initially with a few Zumba moves. I find she breaks down every routeen which is what I needed. In fact I wish she had a training video for all the Zumba dances.

5.0 out of 5 stars very pleased!!, 22 Jun 2012
This review is from: Belly Dance For Beginners [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I have found this dvd very good. It is very clear and has easy to follow instructions. Very pleased with this purchased.

4.0 out of 5 stars Belly dancing!!!, 22 Dec 2011
This review is from: Belly Dance For Beginners [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Item was as described and sent promptly. Would use again. I have used the dvd only a couple of times with my daughter and it is going to be lots of fun. Difficult to get the right bits moving but it will come in time !!

3.0 out of 5 stars Seems to be good..., 26 July 2011
This review is from: Belly Dance For Beginners [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
The little I've seen of the DVD seems to be good, but unfortunately I've not got far with it as I find it most disruptive that the DVD stops between each track! I will say that as a beginner and someone who doesn't exercise, I found even the basics of the arm exercise tough -though that is probably a lack of stamina on my part, and regular practice is what is needed.

I wish the DVD would just play through, as the flow of that would be smoother more conducive to following the DVD. Perhaps I'll get round to trying again and perservering - in which case, may update my Review. To sum up - looks like the DVD has the potential to be good, if one has the patience to put up with it stopping at the end of each track/exercise, and with the many tracks to select from.

Belly Dance For Beginners [DVD] [2010]
Belly Dance For Beginners [DVD] [2010] by Various Artists (DVD - 2010)