4.0 out of 5 stars Love it
Published on 22 Sep 2010 by P. WRAY

3.0 out of 5 stars How good is it compared to Etrex?
Have had some frustrating experiences with this , my 3rd , Garmin handheld GPS.
Published on 3 Aug 2010 by N. willink

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 22 Sep 2010
P. WRAY "sofghost" (Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Oregon 450 GPS Unit - Worldwide Maps (discontinued by manufacturer) (Misc.)
After allot of searching, reading reviews, checking bundles i decided the best all round gps unit for was the 450, i needed one that i could mount in my car, get me to a mountain biking spot, clip onto my handlebars and load uk 1:50k Ord survey maps (which is perfect for navigating tracks at speed), i also wanted To go to Spain, navigate from the airport to a village with road mapping, switch to Spain's 1:25k in the mountains, and go walking/biking. it also needed to be tough, waterproof, and have a uncluttered user interface, the touch screen is fantastic..

Regards maps, forget base maps, and topo ! accept the fact if you want to walk in confidence , accurately and detailed you'll need 1:50K ordnance survey 99 (if you want the full uk 1:50k on paper maps it'll cost you near 1200, 99 is a bargin) , i got the full UK/Europe road maps for 80, and a custom 1:25k map for 30 for Spain. I then needed a bike mount 15. I stayed clear of the 1:25K UK OS maps as there just overrated and overpriced.

Ive been using the unit for several months now and it finds the satellites very fast when first powered up ( just a few mins, not 10mins like i read on some reviews, they must of been stood in a tube station) , its tracking is fast and accurate, the screen is very tough, i did buy a screen protector which didn't effect the visuals, my only criticism is of the O.S. map, not the Garmin unit, the pink footpath line is a bit hard to follow just using it to scan over, but if you've set a route out it will track over the paths for you on the OS maps. I have no problem at reading the screen its bright enough. If your going to clip it on your bike handle bar, for extra security make sure your use a lanyard to , id hate to see it bouncing off the tarmac.

You can also hook up the garmin heart rate monitor and display it on the screen , I just wish it could log my heart rate for download (it might be able to but not found it yet).

Garmins connect software is great for showing your mates where youve been and sharing your routes, it records everything,(and also downloading other peoples).

Ive never had corrupt cards or software, rebooting problem nothing at all. The batterys last long enough, just make sure your have the 2500 amp hour ones, or bigger rating, and put into saver mode. You have to take the batterys out of the unit to charge (no on board charging) but thats becuase of the heat generated when charging and to make it more compatable with water ;) the less exterior to interior connections you have the more waterproof they can make then, less short circuits.

Love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best all round GPS for walking and benchmarking, 13 Aug 2011
J. Brazier (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
With the 50k OS maps installed, this upgrade from my etrex often saves me having to carry any maps, though obviously the screen is too small to replace them completely. There are five levels of detail on the OS maps. For clarity and to avoid information overload, you can safely use the minimum setting, which still leaves you with all the street names. I haven't managed to get the (rechargeable) batteries to last more than about 4 hours, so it's worth switching it off as often as possible and always carrying spare batteries. It picks up the satellites much quicker than the etrex anyway, though only if you stand still. There are countless menus and options. Unfortunately, only the main menu is customisable, so to delete a waypoint, for example, means two menu selections, at least two scrolls of the menu, selection, and a confirmation, so to delete a number of waypoints takes forever unless you want to delete them all. The electronic compass is a nice touch, but even if you recalibrate it after every battery change (essential if using rechargeable batteries) it's not very stable, especially in town, when it wanders all over the place. So I still need to carry a conventional compass to be 100% sure of direction. Having said all that, it's sturdy and the display is very clear and it's hard to know how I managed with the etrex.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good hiking GPS. Some UI flaws lost it a star., 30 April 2012
S. Hunt - See all my reviews
I wanted a replacement for my trusty old eTrex Yellow, which at 12 years old was suffering a random loss of display lines. I looked at the eTrex 30, but the display seemed too small to do justice to a map, and I didn't like the way the mounting rail on the back sticks out proud of the case. The Oregon gets a few negative reviews, largely based on the display being hard to read in some conditions. Having tried one in a shop, and outside the door, I managed to convince myself it would be OK. I bought from a local brick-and-mortar outdoor shop who had the OS 1:50k bundle for less than many online stores.

So far my impressions are favourable. Physically, it is a nice shape and comfortable to hold, albeit a fair bit heavier than the eTrex. I have found the display to be fine. I have used it outdoors in bright sun, shaded sun, overcast, in the woods, and for me it's perfectly usable. It is sometimes rather dark looking, but still legible.

The touchscreen interface is a mixture of good and bad. For panning around a map, setting up routes, etc there's no doubt that it is far quicker than a joystick. But the menus are not very well designed. There is a general lack of shortcuts to useful commands for the current screen (reset trip, orient map north/ahead, etc). You have to quit back to the main menu, go into Setup, find the page for the item you want, sometimes drilling down two or three levels in the setup tree, change it, and then go back up the tree again all the way to the main menu, and then re-enter whichever page you came from. This becomes very tedious if you want to experiment with the map options which control how detail is displayed at various zoom levels. I think Garmin could make some quite small changes to their UI to overcome this. A shortcut from each main screen into the relevant settings (and back - avoiding going via the main menu) would be a big improvement.

Another slight UI annoyance is that it's vital to always lock the screen when putting it in a pocket or bag, otherwise random things touching the screen will quickly mess up your settings. The dashboard gauges in particular are too easy to change accidentally. It seems like a glaring omission that there is no way to lock them down having set them up the way you like.

Battery life seems to be close to the quoted figure. I ran several tests with the backlight off and I got between 15 and 16 hours on 2000mAH Eneloops, depending on how much I used it (basically mainly leaving it on the map screen recording a track).

Apart from the UI niggles, it seems to be a sound unit and I am generally pleased with it.

Was it worth paying for the 1:50k map of the UK? I'm not sure. I thought hard about whether to do without the OS map and rely on OpenStreetMap, but decided that it would be nice to have. The OpenStreetMap project has done an amazing thing, and their maps are very useful and detailed (google talkytoaster for some excellent OSM files for the Garmin). However, that said, even with contour lines, I find the OSM maps don't give me the same at-a-glance feel for the terrain that the OS maps do. So I have both maps loaded, and swap according to the situation.

3.0 out of 5 stars How good is it compared to Etrex?, 3 Aug 2010
N. willink (exeter uk) - See all my reviews
Have had some frustrating experiences with this , my 3rd , Garmin handheld GPS.
Good points: excellent reception and accuracy better than the Etrex HC! I like the touch type feature; what an improvement; the screen is bigger too, though colours of map details are still limited to 256 and do not always tally with those on Mapsource. You can enable or disable basemaps or any other layers which is to me a key improvement,particularly if you upload your own custom img maps.

Bad points: The screen can freeze after creating and editing waypoints - the result is a loss of edited waypoints and part of the active track; the manual was supposed to be on the chip - none was found and a downloaded pdf seemd too basic. Batteries, which don't last long without the 'battery-save' enabled, have to be removed to revive the unit ; at one stage my card got corrupted and like a boot failure the unit would not restart!!! I would have returned my Oregon without fail despite some of the plus features but ,fortunately, I my old etrex corrected the problem . Checking the web ,others have had similar problems with the Oregon freezing up.

There is no doubt that this garmin is unstable and can be very buggy. I'm however, still using it daily and it's beginning to settle down. I've had to email Garmin over several issues and to be fair their response has been VERY quick. I've got a feeling they are anxious to improve the product.

Would I recommend it? Only if you're using it for basic tracking purposes and are not editing some settings during your journey.
And yet, that touch screen is such a winning feature!

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfect...almost, 11 Jan 2011
Overall a very good GPS unit. Large display with good customisation. Easy operation and good functionality. Battery life (with rechargeables) acceptable. Can't say I had any major problems with screen visibility as reported elsewhere.

My major gripe is the way the unit handles distance covered. In my old Vista unit, when the signal dropped out, distance covered was extrapolated as a straight line between the points the signal was lost and regained. When hikling through dense tree cover the signal could drift in and out quite frequently. Overall though this method produced a distance covered that was pretty close to reality. The 450 does things completely differently. This really confused me the first day hiking up in New Hampshire where all the landmarks seemed to be much closer than they should be. It was only when I got back and checked online that I discovered the problem: the 450 uses a completely different algorithm and effectively ignores any "gaps" in signal reception (although the track log appears to have no gaps in it, I can only assume that the signal drops out for very short periods). Thus even though the track log records say ten miles (correctly) the odometer will tell you that you have done as little as 6 or 7 (with average speeds etc. also out). This is a known issue and a patch was released to fix it - didn't really help.

If like me you are a casual hiker who likes to use a GPS to keep track of how far you've gone, how fast you're going, when you should be looking out for the next trail crossing etc. then I suggest you check online to see whether this is still an issue before making a purchase. This is a serious flaw, which had I known about, would have seriously made me look elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars As it says., 2 Jun 2013
Courtmac View (West Cork,Ireland) - See all my reviews
Bought this unit in advance of a holiday in Europe and I wanted a unit that I felt I could trust. I have it now and having used it abroad I am absolutely thrilled with it. I purchased the Garmin City Navigator SD card also for the unit and was stunned at the whole package.
It did everything I asked it to do and didn't lead me astray. The screen was bright enough to be read in strong sunlight, it located the relevant satellites very quickly when powered up, the battery life was excellent.
Overall couldn't have asked for more, it was perfect for my requirements.
Five stars all the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy. Best GPSr there is, 24 Dec 2012
I already had one and my sister, because os using mine wanted one for herself too.
It was a great deal this discount on Amazon.

About the device, it's the best you can get. I prefer this one to the 450T because on this all I have to do is puting the raster maps and it'll do the same.
The 550 I think it's waste of money because we already have cameras everywhere, don't need an extra one in the GPSr...

3.0 out of 5 stars GPS is great, 450 ok, 2 Jun 2013
Mr. R. Jackson (Bob J liverpool) - See all my reviews
I’m not a particularly adventurous walker, about 10 miles on footpaths is the norm but thought a GPS might add to the interest. The spec of the 450 was probably much more than I require (what’s geocaching?) but it gave some in reserve for future possible projects. Have had it about four months now and all in all I’m pretty glad I have a GPS it’s quite fun and adds a new dimension to my pretty bog standard hikes but I’ve had a few issues with this model which took the shine off it a bit.Ingnored the bad reviews about the screen visability.Garmin are a market leader and wouldn’t put out something not fit for purpose would they?. On a bright day it was all but impossible to see the track display having to create a shadow with a map or hat. I contacted Garmin (was there an elephant in the room) who suggested I turned up the brightness! I could also try turning off the shaded relief they said, which helped a little. A search on Google came up with a download of a white background that made it acceptable. When downloading a track a couple of times I’ve had two track 1s’ of which one couldn’t be deleted.Garmin weren’t able to help but having downloaded “EasyGPS” I was able to clear it on my computer (Garmin rep was thankful for the tip).I bought a North of England SD card (74 from Garmin) which from day one never sat quite right in the base which meant the SD card locking clip didn’t work properly with the result that great care was needed when inserting the batteries or the card became dislodged(I know I should have returned the 450 at this point but saw it as a nuisance rather than a problem)This was fine in a home environment but out in bad weather one day the inevitable happened, the card moved and broke when I closed the battery cover. I contacted Amazon about the problem and a replacement 450 arrived almost before the email advising me of how to return the faulty one. Have to say that taking the old 450 to my local BP garage for return (300 yards and plenty of parking) was brilliant. Threw myself at the mercy of Garmin re the broken SD card but they weren’t having any of it so it’s another 74 I suppose (from Amazon this time). As I said I glad I’ve got the GPS, even for a not so serious walker it’s a great help though if I need another one in the future I will probably do a bit more research to see what’s on offer. Creating and downloading new walks is good fun using Mapyx Quo which is very easy to use and their support is brilliant. Incidentally the new 450 unit display is much better so don’t know if my old one was faulty or Garmin have upped the anti! and the card lock is fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars I needed help, 14 Jun 2012
I like this product now I know how to use it. As with a lot of items now there is no instruction manual and you are expected to make your own way by using the website.
A friend with a similar product has shown me the basics and now I find it easy to use although without that help it would probably be collecting dust on a shelf or have been offloaded on ebay

5.0 out of 5 stars my new goodie, 28 Jun 2010
arthur stein (varese, (VA) Italy) - See all my reviews
I just returned from two weeks in Turkey on a 50ft sailboat with my son and wife from Boston, and a longterm captain friend, wife and son who live in Zurich, and their friend from Germany. I live in Italy and received the 450 plus the Mediterranean map two days before we left. When making my choice I had called Garmin UK to ask about the online displayed marine 78 series which had not yet been released for sale, and the new Oregon 450 - 550 models. I was told that the touchscreen Oregon is more intuitive and fun to use. This turned out to be the case. The Amazon Garmin supplier (foot-steps UK) did not show all maps on their website but several telephone calls prompted them to procure the Mediterranean map especially for me, which I appreciate very much. So I had a short time to do the nautical setup and insert some waypoints which I took from a German Turkish coastal sailing guidebook. All this was new for me. Which means I had to understand what was wanted and how to get what I needed. After these two weeks, where we sailed a oneway on a chartered boat from Bodrum > Marmaris, to give the boat up in Gocek, there was nothing lacking in the information we needed. Screen visibility was not a problem. Onscreen map resolution went from 500 nautical miles to 5 meters. This was enough to show all possible dangers (submerged rocks and military restricted areas etc.) while also showing coastal names and light designations, harbor green and red entrance beacons as well as the dock layout in stick form plus a small pink sailboat in a circle indicating 'harbor'. The only cosmetic neo I found was a lack of congruent symbols with respect to the Mediterranean map and the choice given for marking a waypoint. (There were many tables of markers, some having to do with hunting and fishing, and many other land specific conditions). This showed that the 450 is a multitasker depending upon the maps inserted. This is defined in 'profile' names where you set up measurement units i.e. nautical miles and knots for marine use and kilometers or miles on land etc. Choosing between profiles gets you the proper units. The last thing I learned was the necessity of resetting the trip odometer in setup mode each day to get a proper log. The overall log started by itself and updated automatically. I had the cigar lighter cable which fit into the 12 volt output onboard. I used rechargeable batteries and charger which was hooked up when we had land electricity. Battery life did not equal the 16 hours given in specs. (up to 16 could mean a much less load than the nautical setup). I will try to find rechargeable lithium batteries. My overall impression, as I learned how to define and use information presented is that the Mediterranean map is very fine, and setting up routes and following along is very satisfying. It gave me a sense of control and is also a good learning tool with respect to chart reading etc. Log distance measurement I would assume to be more accurate than the onboard device which relies on a sometimes fouled revolving propeller mounted on the hull. Compass variation is automatically compensated for. Compass accuracy is certainly better than the onboard compasses (there were three, and each gave a different reading). GPS accuracy was 3 meters. I can make no comparison between the 450 and a marine-specific handheld. I could assume perhaps that waypoint symbols could follow the map better. So. I am very happy with my purchase and recommend it highly.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›