Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 25 May 2010
I was looking forward to receving this, and tore the packaging off to get at it. I read it within a reasonable amount of time (think reading at lunch time, evenings, morning, commuting) and found it overall to be quite good. Some of the English used at times was a bit mysterious. You read a sentence, think "eh", read it again, and then it makes sense. It depends how big your mental reading buffer is I guess!! The last thing you want to be doing whilst trying to read something technical is to be deciphering the English at the same time. I did however learn some interesting material out of this book, and it will live on my shelves as a resource. I found at times, I'd write down certain technology sub-subjects, and download the related Cisco white papers. It really is a huge index into a vast amount of material. Keeping the book a realistic size must have been a nightmare at times. Apart from the odd error (page 680 contains a good one), and putting to one side the varying change of pace, overall it's worth a read . If you're seriously looking at going for the CCIE R&S cert, get this, and whilst reading it, keep a laptop near as you WILL be downloading white papers and support documentation. I passed the CCIE R&S written using this as a starting block last week, so it can't be that bad :)

Oh, and for all the people considering doing v4, the good news is the core knowledge questions have been dropped as of this month.
on 16 October 2010
Having read some of the reviews I was expecting worse than I got. This book is really, really good. Forgive them a couple of mistakes in a book this large covering this amount of work and you'll have a great reference source.

Of particular note are the questions they set for each chapter. Nothing easy, nothing quick and nothing shallow. They stretch you and keep you thinking.

You will end up ordering several more books, notably the TCP/IP books from Jeff Doyle which keeps on teaching me new things every time I open a page.

A great book. Get it if you're serious about your CCIE but don't forget to work on you practical all the time.
on 2 September 2011
Very good book, favourite author Wendell Odom involved in this publication, this book truly does give you all the required knowledge as per the CCIE v4 exam blueprint, that you need to master the CCIE written exam, however, have some physical switches/routers and or GNS3 handy, as will want to implement what you learn, it can be a lot to take in.
on 20 April 2011
Although the title suggests that this book is levelled at wanabe CCIE's, I think this book is an invaluable reference for all Cisco engineers.
It gives a complete review of subjects before ramping up the learning curve.
So if you've just finished your CCNA buy this and you'll soon know what you're getting in to.
on 6 September 2013
It was my start towards the CCIE preparation, and it's really a good book, everything is explained quite simply, not too many details, so - exactly what you expect from a book :D
on 7 January 2016
Being a CCIE myself, this is an essential read and great reference book
on 15 April 2013
Recommended by someone I know.
Disclaimer: I bought it for someone else, who thinks it is a nice book .
on 17 September 2010
This comment is not people who are going to pass CCIE as I need to understand some bits at work which are explained clearly in this book.

Check the content of chapters as you should already know what you need unless you are just doing certs and have problems with simple configuration so this book is not for you.

Book is simple but some parts of it can hard be to understand for people without many years of field experience.