5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin
This is one of the first ADSL routers I have seen with 4x Gigabit ports.

So I bought this to speed up copying of files between my various PCs. The ability to connect USB storage is a nice bonus.

ADSL was easily configured. Web interface standard Linksys affair. Synch'ed slightly faster than my old Thomson router but nothing to get excited about...
Published on 2 Mar. 2010 by Mr. M. Cheung

1.0 out of 5 stars Appalling signal strength
My primary reason for purchasing this router was as a replacement for the standard BT issued Access Point and the additional 802.11n capability. I've used the router on and off since its purchase (about 6 months) but have finally dispatched it to the great Access Point graveyard in the sky in sheer and utter frustration?
Why?
In a nutshell this is by far the...
Published on 24 Mar. 2011 by RichStock

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin, 2 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Linksys by Cisco WAG320N Wireless N Gigabit Dual Band Modem Router (for ADSL / telephone line connections i.e BT Broadband) (Electronics)
This is one of the first ADSL routers I have seen with 4x Gigabit ports.

One feature not mentioned much is the ability to use port 1 of the Ethernet ports to connect to another Internet source. Useful if later you decide to switch to Virgin Cable as it means you dont have to spend on another device. Downside is ofc you lose a port.

The storage/NAS feature works briliantly. The set up in the web interface takes a little getting used to and not recommended for a beginner but then this is not a router you would get for your granny!

This router is aimed squarely at the prosumer market and from that respect its fabulous. Only thing missing is the ability to hook up a printer via USB too.

Wireless works flawlessly. The dual band is there but its one or the other. You cannot run both simultaneously.

1.0 out of 5 stars Appalling signal strength, 24 Mar. 2011
Why?
In a nutshell this is by far the worst wireless device I've ever had the misfortune to use as the signal strength is little more than shocking and the random disconnects are bizarre to say the least. I've spent hours switching channels, changing mode to G only etc, all in an attempt to improve the signal strength. Nothing improved it.
As a test of how bad this box is I've seperately tested three Access Points I have at home with identical settings, identical location etc to to confirm the WAG320N is a shocker.
The other AP are the standard issue BT device 2700HGV and a Linksys WRT54G from back in the day when Linksys really used to produce great kit, prior to being consumed by Cisco.
With regards to signal strength there was little between the BT device and the WRT54G but the WAG320N signal dropped within half the range of the other two.
The WAG320N is not cheap and even as a freebie from an ISP I would have regarded it as poor. I bought this router on the strength and excellent service provided by the Linksys WRT54G but I would be very cautious about spending any of my heard earned cash on Linksys kit again. The one slight positive is that I'm not alone, a simple google for "WAG320N signal strength" confirms many users incredible unhappy with this kit. If I thought I was alone I would have asked Linksys for a replacement but it is simply not worth my loss of income persuing it.

However, it's not all bad. It's nice and shiny and the wired Ethernet port works well, the admin UI is ok for those familiar with Linksys. However, I guess most users will be keen to access the AP wireless via their smart phones and other mobile devices, this is where it fails miserably.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent router - with one small drawback, 17 May 2010
A. Gardiner (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this router to replace the one I received from BT. Specifically, I wanted a router which I could adjust the settings more easily and fully than is possible with the BT one. This router has an excellent range and is a doddle to set up. The only drawback I had with it was when using the 5Ghz range on the WiFi. I bought the Cisco USB adapter Linksys by Cisco WUSB600N Wireless-N USB Network Adapter with Dual-Band in conjunction with the router in the hope that I could switch band and get a 'cleaner' signal and therefore a longer range. In fact, the key dropped the signal by 20% at 10 feet (no walls) and moving downstairs meant losing the signal altogether. Switching to the 2.4Ghz range on the router and then reverting to the internal NIC in my netbook meant getting a 50% signal downstairs again. Clearly the 5Ghz range advertised on these two products is less than perfect. My advice? Get the router, it is excellent, but forget the Cisco USB adapter. Oh, and don't bother with Amazon's 'expedited' service - my kit took 4 days to arrive, not my definition of 'expedited'... something I won't bother with again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, USB feature a let down., 4 Jun. 2010
Mr. R. A. Miller "Robin Miller" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Buying this product was a bit of a gamble for me, firstly because for some time i had been searching around the net looking at reviews of this product, from professional reviewers to the people who bought them, and there's seems to be a mix match of what people think of the product, from people having a good experience of the product to the dissatisfied ones.
Here's my thoughts:
- Wireless speeds are better than the traditional "G" standard, but I've used faster "N" routers. Although you have to consider if the additional cost of something faster is really worth it? (What meets your needs?)
- This router isn't best suited to HD video streaming but will happily do normal def stuff.
- Setting it up was easy (so long as you have your broadband information at hand), the setup wizard walks you through in a simple and easy to understand fashion.
- From what I experienced, Mac support is equal to the PC. I.e. the CD that comes with the router works on both platforms.
- Gigabit ethernet is amazingly fast. Great if you're transferring massive files.
- USB feature is useless in the real world. On a Mac, finding a USB stick on the network required too much effort, i've heard it's easier on the PC. But the router should be treating any USB drive plugged into it as if it was another computer on the network. Therefore making it easy to find.
- If you are thinking of attaching a storage device to the router, you're better off using a NAS type device rather than using the USB port on the back. NAS was designed for a network (hence the name), has nice management features and importantly is faster than USB or firewire (when using the ethernet).
- When they say Dual-band, they don't really mean it. You have a choice between the standard 2.4GHz, which all wireless stuff will work with and the newer 5GHz, which is faster and more reliable since there aren't devices broadcasting at that frequency (yet). Unfortunately you have to choose one of the two, it can't do both at the same time. Cisco do make a router that does does both 2.4GHz and 5GHz at the same time but hasn't got the vital ADSL modem feature we need. You better off sticking to the 2.4GHz frequency, which is set as a default, plus all wireless devices will work fine with it.
- Be warned, Tech Support is hopeless. Cisco need to get on this problem, regardless of how good or bad their products are.
- The power button on the back is a nice, what's the point of leaving it on all night when my Mac is off, plus it's a lot easier to reach compared to the power socket.
- Great design, normally something that isn't considered much with routers but i like the black glossy finish. All the antennas are hidden away. Much like with anyone who's owned an iPhone or iPod Touch, this thing will be covered in finger prints. And you will notice them.
- It's reliable. Sometimes, whether you notice it or not, routers will lose their connection between your computer or internet (which is more normal than you think on a wireless network). So far I had no problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic router which has given me wifi., 17 Aug. 2010
Rob S "Rob S" (Conwy, North Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Purchased this as my D-Link wireless router stopped working.
My house is an old Welsh Victorian building which has a lot of granite walls, wireless has never worked in the house, have tried Belkin, BT and D-Link all have failed to provide a wireless signal., I accepted this.

My Brother in Law is a Cisco engineer so was familiar with the name Cisco and knew the build quality was very good.
This is why I opted for the WAG320N.
Setting up is easy, comes with a disc which guides you during the install, you will need your ISP user name and password, If you can't remember it you will need to contact your ISP help line, I had forgotten mine as I have been with orange for years, took only a couple of minutes to get the info I required. The disc also install Network Magic which tells you what is on the network, you will need to pay for all the features such as printer sharing etc.

I set the Router as a secure network, remember to print out the info at the end of the install as this has the security key you need for wireless.

The wireless is superb, we have gone from nothing to being able to use the laptop in any room, connect the Wii and my boys DSI, I am that happy I purchased a netbook which works superb.

A fantastic router which has given me wifi.

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up and network works fine, but USB feature a waste of money, 7 May 2010
Without a lot of technical skill I easily managed to set the network up with wired and wireless connections which work fine and throughout the house. A word of warning about the USB connection which does not work. I can 'see' the external hard drive in the set up screens but my network fails to recognise it. Three lengthy online 'conversations' with LinkSys have wasted a lot of my time and got me nowhere, so the drive is back, plugged directly into my PC.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Router and Terrible Cisco Support, 21 Mar. 2011
Paul Herbaut - See all my reviews
Ok, where did my previous lengthy review I submitted go Mr Amazon ??

Only wish I'd read these reviews before buying. This router does not work - plain and simple. I've had months of agro with Cisco and BT pointing the finger at each other and after line tests etc it turns out it it the Router.
I'm now back happily running on my Netgear and have had no connection drops at all.
CISCO support has been the worst I've experience to date. They have no technical knowledge and are just Deli based script readers.

MY ADVISE: AVOID THIS ROUTER AT ALL COSTS - IT IS FLAWED, READ OTHER REVIEWS.

Amazon are processing a replacement, but this will be a waste of time. I will be seeking a refund or alternative router instead.

1.0 out of 5 stars More Unreliable than the England Football Team, 22 Mar. 2011
I bought this router specifically for the ability to restrict internet access by time for individual devices.

The positives: Setup was extremely easy. Could select my ISP from a drop down list and all settings configured correctly. Was up and running in a few minutes. Wireless connection speed was good.

The Negatives: The range not much different from my old Orange livebox, which was a little disappointing. However, the router couldn't keep an Internet connection up more than a few hours. It had to be powered off and back on in order to reconnect. COMPLETE FAIL. I've rebooted my Livebox once in the last 18 months. I had to reboot this 4 times in 2 days.

I read all the reviews before purchase and there was about a 50% split between those that worked fine and those that failed totally. I took a gamble on it and lost. The forums all full of people with the same/similar issues. Cisco haven't even replied. They haven't acknowledged any problems and there are no firmware updates. I have returned it to Amazon for a refund as it is not fit for purpose.

If you buy this maybe you'll get lucky and it will work, maybe you won't. BUYER BEWARE!

PS. I'm a senior IT professional and have setup dozens of wireless routers in the last few years. This isn't a simple config error. It is a product unfit for use.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor, 10 Feb. 2012
This modem router was purchased with a view to improving a basic home network.

It failed on a grand scale.

Having installed it, the wireless performance gave a lower signal strength and slower connection rate than my old Netgear kit.

Not wanting to waste the unit, I decided to give it to a local charity to use in their office. A very small network of wired PCs. I thought that they could at least benefit from the upgrade from 100 to 1000 bit transfer rate. After one day of considerable downtime they suggested that I could have it back!

I think the above says it all.

I will now revert back to only using Netgear kit. It has always served me well. I wish I had never strayed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Modem\Router\Switch replacement, 18 May 2010
Mr. P. A. Douglas (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Having struggled with at Talk Talk Huaewi and then the painfully awful BT Home hub I finally came across this Linksys Cisco.
The install was fairly straight forward only let down by the strange necessity of installing software. When it's finished the setup however you can uninstall and use the web GUI to administer the router.
Once up and running some issues I had previously with my NAS shared drives being slow to connect on my PC and PS3 were fixed and with Gigabit switching between these devices it is now possible to stream HD video to the PS3 without issue.
Internet speeds were also much more consistent with 17Mbps down and 800Kbps up with the connection very stable on a BT broadband connection.
Finally the wireless signal which had been a bugbear with previous devices was much stronger even in parts of the flat that it previously didn't work, it now works fine.
In all I had three issues with my previous devices which in one fell swoop this device fixed - I cannot recommend it more highly - it does what it says on the box and for around £85 I reckon it's a bargain.
Cisco are a reliable business brand but with Linksys they have extended that to home use now as well.