on 19 March 2013
This was bought because I didn't want to spend £120 on a Canon original. There was much debate online about cutting costs when using it with such an expensive lens. But, in my opinion, if it came and i thought my lens was at risk, I would just send it back.

Well, I wasn't dissapointed. The fit is perfect, as is the colour match. If I was to split hairs, I'd say that the paint finish is a little rough compared to the finish on the lens, but really, who cares!?

There is a slight ridge where the ring makes contact with the camera, to either side of the felt pad. This over time may wear and cause the ring to mark the lens when rotating it, but. at the moment, is not a concern to me. A little white tape around the inside of the ring would soon remedy this anyway.

All in all, a very well engineered and well fitting mount, which I would highly recommend as a great value alternative to the extorsionally over priced Canon.
on 27 October 2011
Perfect, works just as it should. Holds lens well.
Very happy with this purchase - It's such a low price!

I also got one of these to fit the 70-300L (It's a different size but got both from same seller. Both working great.)
on 6 January 2013
The official mount costs a fortune! This one ticks all the boxes - it holds lens in a soft grip and can be eased off to rotate lens and camera. Really pleased with it. Tip - put a touch of vaseline on screw thread to ensure controlled tightening.
on 14 December 2012
For the price range I couldn't expect more... actually it's just perfect. Solid construction, once mounted it fits perfectly, the soft internal ring protection holds the lens firmly without scratches and still leaving a smooth rotation movement that in some case it's priceless. The solid structure doesn't issue any vibrations, it becomes one thing with the lens. The screwing system is well thought. It has the technical perfection that it requires in its design and construction.
on 19 March 2016
When I bought my 70-200mm I knew the next thing I needed was a tripod collar. If I was going to use my new lens on a tripod, to save my equipment (and my wallet) from meeting an unfortunate end, I knew that I had to get one.

When I looked at the official Canon one however, I was met with a rather large price tag. £120.

When I found this Maxsimafoto 3rd party collar you can imagine my relief. I'm glad I spent money on this. It's solidly built (all-metal construction) and I have no problems attaching my setup to a tripod and leaving it there whilst I attend to other business. It feels tough enough to hold my lens with ease.

The lock is very smooth and stays firmly shut when needed, and its a perfect fit around the lens. The Foamy interior on the inside ensures that my lens barrel will not get scratched when in use.

The only thing I can find that the Canon one does and this one doesn't it being able to rotate your camera from landscape to portrait whilst the ring is attached. But who cares? My tripod head does that for me anyway!

If I wee to make one comment, it would be that the foamy interior seems to have a tendency to leave black marks on the lens barrel, but these are easily removed with a good quality microfibre cloth.

All in all, I would highly recommend you buy this as an alternative to it's over-priced Canon counterpart.

on 26 September 2010
I purchased this to go with my new Canon L 70-200mm f/4 IS zoom lens. It is a good colour match, and does the job perfectly, holding the lens & camera in perfect balance on my tripod.
on 20 August 2012
This product looks almost identical to the Canon one and works very effectively for a lot less money. Unlike other cheaper mount rings I have read about, this one does not scratch the lens barrel. Recommended.
on 12 April 2015
Very well constructed and at the price its hard to find anything bad to say about it. Some slight chipping of paint finish has started, but it still does its job. Leaves no marks / scratches on lens body, so happy with the fit.
I always tilt the tripod head as opposed to rotating the lens in the holder, so any problems from that point of view i couldn't comment on.

Very happy with it.
on 6 December 2015
At first I recieved one damaged, perhaps because the packaging wasn't to good. After 1 email to MAXSIMAFOTO they directly send a new one without any questions. VERY, VERY, VERY good service. The tripod mount itself is good and does the job. Made from metal and coated on the outside almost the same as my lens. The inside has got a protective fabric so your lens wil not be damaged.
on 23 January 2014
Bought this to fit Tamron 70-300 lens but it wasn't big enough and sent it back-looked very robust and well made

See one answered question