VINE VOICEon 26 February 2010
I enjoyed every work on this CD. It opens with a fine rarity - 'A Voice out of the Whirlwind' - a setting for organ and choir of one of the most moving moments in 'Job - A Masque for Dancing'; the 'Galliard for the Sons of the Morning'. Probably the most important work here is the Tudor-inspired unaccompanied Mass in G Minor. It is here given a fine performance by Timothy Brown with the Choir of Clare College Cambridge. They do Vaughan Williams proud in all respects. The conductor, as a boy chorister had sung at Vaughan Williams funeral, in Westminster Abbey in 1958. Also included are 'A Vision of Aeroplanes', 'Valiant for Truth', 'Three Choral Hymns'(recorded with an organ for the first time here)and some shorter works. Interesting booklet notes by the conductor add to the appeal of this CD.

Well worth investigation.
on 25 March 2013
I bought this recording because the choir that I belong to is singing a Vaughan Williams piece called 'Vision of Aeroplanes' and I needed to hear it sung well. This recording was very good.
on 11 November 2015
Post medieval a capella choral music is rather rare and Vaughn Williams is superb here, especially in the Mass in G Minor.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 April 2014
I thought that I was thoroughly familiar with VW's choral works, but I heard the mass in G Minor, for the first time on Radio Three Recently and had to purchase. I like the music of Tallis and Byrd, the G Minor mass is quite a throwback to those times but unmistakeably Vaughan Williams at the same time.