Format: DVD|Change

I really enjoyed Invictus. Being a big Rugby fan I was drawn by the fact that the 95 world cup was the backdrop and could remember the building passionate support for the Springboks but of course there was so much more behind it. I though t Morgan Freeman played Mandela superbly and Matt Damon was also good (if you could overlook his size as a supposed International Lock / Flanker). The script was very well written and although Rugby was seen as the link to uniting society, I just wished (as a Rugby fan) the actual game scenes could have been a bit more realistic as they had the feel of a Sunday league match rather than a hard hitting international.
on 2 April 2013
"Whilk," said my PE teacher, "you hardly seem to be playing rugby at all. You just wander around the field like some nomad who's lost his camel."

I venture this autobiographical self-indulgence only to demonstrate that you really, really don't need to be a sports fan to enjoy this extraordinary film. What it's fundamentally about is the great Nelson Mandela, and how, released from a quarter-century's imprisonment to save his country from the septic trauma of apartheid, he saw how the Springboks might help to heal South Africa's terrible injury.

The invaluable Matt Damon, surely as reliable a star as any, gives a powerfully eloquent performance as the Springboks' much-burdened captain, but the film is dominated by Morgan Freeman's masterly portrait of the president. A more perfect conjunction of actor and role it's difficult to imagine: this, I feel, is the part Morgan was born to play. The rest of the huge cast is without a weak link, and Clint Eastwood's direction is as assured as I've come to expect, whether capturing minute nuances of character, putting us amidst the violent drama of the rugby pitch, showing us the beauty of Table Mountain and the poverty of a shanty town or celebrating the splendour of a crowd of sixty thousand in an ecstasy of patriotic fervour.

Warner Brothers have done a fine job of preparing their film for blu-ray. Although the picture doesn't quite match the startling sharpness of the very best demonstration discs, neither does it have any grungy grain to complain about, and the audio gives an equally good account of some magnificent music and the thuds and roars of rugby action. The extras are very generous.

This is, I think, as uplifting a film as I can remember. The tale of Mandela's heroism, wisdom and magnanimity is surely one of the most inspiring of our era. I doubt whether anyone could reach the closing credits of this disc without feeling very, very lucky to have watched it.
VINE VOICEon 14 July 2011
This is a great film, and i very much enjoyed it, however this is not a "review" as such but a warning / note of caution to anyone buying this version AFTER June 2011.

The digital copy that comes with this film has a code that Expires on 14/06/2011 which means that you will be unable to transfer the digital copy after this date. I bought my copy on 12th July 2011, I tried it anyway and had the "code is expired" message - no joy in trying get around it either as it connects to the Warner Server to authorise the transer/download. The Warner Bros support site is not much help either as it simply states that the digital copy is a "bonus" and the code should have been redeemed by the cut off date. Aparently this is what Warner do to "reward" people who buy the film early on dvd/blu ray. I have emailed them about it, asking for a new one off code, but again they simply told me it was a bonus that has expired there was nothing they could do and that was that. A bit harsh, but there we go.

So, while you do get the Blu ray and DVD versions of this great film at a pretty good price, you won't (sadly) be getting the digital copy if you buy it from after 15th June 2011 making this a "double play" not "triple play" version.
on 10 June 2010
This is a hugely enjoyable movie which charts the rise of Nelson Mandela and his role in bringing in the nation of South Africa together during the 1995 Rugby World Cup. It would be considered corny if it didn't happen to be true. I'm not sure about all the details but the basic facts are there, that Mandela, newly elected to the presidency of South Africa chose reconciliation rather than confrontation with the white minority who had so long oppressed the people he represented. One gesture was to support the Springboks - a major symbol of white supremacy in the past - and to bring the nation together around them in spite of what many of his own supporters who wanted them for ever abolished.
This is steering stuff with Morgan Freeman giving a stunning performance of Mandela. Just why he didn't receive an Oscar for this performance is something only the vagaries of the Academy award system can tell us. He looks like and sounds like the great man himself - it's worth watching the movie just for this one performance. Elsewhere the movie is solidly cast with one unfortunate exception. Well as Matt Damon acts as the Springbok captain François Pienaar, he is simply not physically big enough to be credible in the role. Pienaar was a huge man in every respect and Damon just doesn't have the size to convince. The rugby scenes are quite well done but not in the same league as, say, the action scenes in Friday Night Lights.
However, the rugby is actually incidental to the main action of the film which is about a great statesman rising above the prejudice and hate that were fundamental to the country he inherited. Do see this movie and be inspired.
on 13 June 2015
If you are not a Rugby Fan, watch it anyway, because the focus of the Film is on the effect the World Cup had on a Nation still reeling from the changes post apartheid, and the rebirth of a common cause amongst the whole Population. Lots there for the mainstream Rugby Fan as well, indicating a well crafted film that had a delicate tightrope to walk. It did the latter superbly bringing the viewer along with the rising Tide of Emotion as the Finals drew ever closer.

Morgan Freeman as Mandela was an inspired casting, and its clear both he and Matt Demon (as the Springboks Captain) under the wise Directorship of Clint Eastwood, both did a fine job portraying the emotion of the period and the rising furfur that gripped a Nation still suffering growing pains from its Re-Birth. Even non Rugby Fans cant help but be swept along in the portrayed emotion of the time. Wonderful Film fully deserving of the Forrest of 5 Star ratings it has received on Amazon. As a slice of History in that troubled Country, it doesnt get much better than this. A superb watch for all the family, both as an emotional record of the Historical times, and a wonderful memorable World Cup Final. Not to be missed by anyone, Rugby Fan or not.
on 2 November 2015
I have hardly ever been moved so much by a film on a theme I'm not interested in... I'm not a sports or rugby fan; and that may be the reason that I only watched this film now, so many years after its make. I am glad I did and regret not having viewed this much earlier. It would be easy just to repeat what umpteen others with better knowledge of English/American/Africaans said so much better, but I want to add my 5*s and for those who need subtitles, I am just listing those:
Languages of THIS edition (DVD-2010, bought in UK): English, Italian
subs: E/Arabic/Dutch/Icelandic/Italian/Greek
for the hearing impaired: E/I
It's a two hours film and you will want to know shorthand to write down some of 'Mandela's Quotes', tissues to handle tears for the heart-wrenching renderings by Morgan Freeman & Matt Damon and a 'jodel' to congratulate wonderful director Clint Eastwood and his crew. If you need a kick to buy it or if you've lived behind the solar system (with regards to this movie) like me - get up, get it, watch it - be amazed!
on 5 January 2014
My Grandson, aged 12, asked me about Madiba the day following his death. I saw Invictus many years ago and was very impressed with the film , the story and of course Mandela. My grandson played rugby so I thought I would buy this so we could sit and watch it together and hopefully he would learn more about Madiba. Knowing him as I do I am in no doubt he will enjoy it
on 16 May 2012
This is a cracking film about the growth of courageous mental and physical athleticism of
two leaders and their groups which are divided by race, conflict and politics, who find
a meeting of minds and begin to be reconciled.

The arena is South African politics and the sporting stage of the Rugby World Cup held in
South Africa in 1995.

The protagonists are the newly appointed President of South Africa, Nelson Mandela (Morgan Freeman)
and his supporters and the Springboks Captain Francois Pienaar (Matt Damon) and his team and his
fans. Mandela realizes for the peaceful harmony of the country they need mutual respect and the
success of each other. This is his goal and ambition.

There are obstacles off the rugby field and on it in the form of teams like England, Australia
and the New Zealand 'All Blacks'.

This film should find many fans for its themes of sport, conflict resolution and reconciliation.

It's a great endeavour and exciting to the final whistle and the celebrations beyond!
on 26 February 2014
Most people I've spoken to and asked if they've seen this film say they haven't because they don't like rugby but this film is actually about Mandela, the saving of a nation and a lesson on how to overcome adversity - whether that be in sport or in life. A truly inspirational film that will have you seeking out the Invictus poem for the rest of the words which end "I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul".
on 28 January 2016
Great invigorating film which perfectly captures the time in which it was set and illustrates the type of person that Mandela was and the transition he made in his and others lives when released from prison. No grudges only forward thinking. The poem itself (written in the 19th century by William Henley) should serve as an inspiration to us all. Well acted and a very good film