5.0 out of 5 stars Back and better than ever
Published on 19 Dec 2009 by Micajah Burnett

3.0 out of 5 stars More of the same
All Angels first album was beautiful and the second not so good. I actually cherry picked the best four tracks from the second and bought them from itunes and I wish I'd done the same again. Sadly its more of the same and not at all inspiring. Where is the uplifting songs like 'Agnus Dei' and 'Salve Regina'. I'm not a christian but I find these beautiful. Best tracks...
Published on 20 Jan 2010 by PJ Rankine

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Back and better than ever, 19 Dec 2009
This review is from: Fly Away (Audio CD)
All Angels are back again with yet another killer album. This album may be the best yet with richer harmonies, more 7th chords, and wonderful arrangements. A great bonus is that this album includes more solo sections from all four singers, so you get a greater variety in vocal color than you did in previous albums. You can also hear more maturity, color, resonance, and depth in all four voices that has come with age and continued study I'm sure. A great combination of spiritual, choral, crossover, and operatic American songs, all sung beautifully. Very accessible album that a wide age span will be able to enjoy. As a vocal major myself, I like to think that I'm somewhat credible, and there is definitely some vocal prowess on this album! Definitely going to be a worthy purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but no cigar, 26 Mar 2010
This review is from: Fly Away (Audio CD)
So here is their 3rd album - a change of direction was hinted at, and so it turned out to be - there will be those of you who review the album on the basis of the songs you like / don't like but this, I would say, is missing the point - the fact that YOU don't like "Blowin' in the wind" ( and personally I don't !)is beside the point - so that's me told, then - the question should be : are the girls still singing well ? It seems to me that on this album more space is given over to the individual voices, and while they are undeniably very talented I feel that their true magic lies in the way that they combine - our cd collections at home are awash in cds by the likes of Faryl, Andrea and Hayley singing the well-known songs ( Ave Maria / Panis Angelicus / Moon River etc etc ),so we really need something that is either different or that is head and shoulders above the rest - and with their first two albums All Angels really did wow us all. The girls were contracted to do 5 albums and so it will be v interesting to see where they go with no. 4 - far be it for me to say what type of music they should interpret but I vote for more stuff from films ( What could they do with "Down to the river to pray" from "O brother where art thou ?" ), but I will try to judge them not on what they song but how they sing it. Their first two albums are, in my book, just divine. This one is good but doesn't play to their strengths.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another triumph!, 12 Jan 2010
Mrs. DV Bush "All Angel Fan" (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fly Away (Audio CD)
I agree with all the other reviewers, except the obvious one. All Angels have managed to produce a completely different album - the new arrangements to familiar songs are superb. Their voices have matured, are richer and this cd meets all expectations. It will definitely accompany me on long car journeys together with the previous two.
If you're looking for truly listenable-to music, I recommend all three All Angels CDs. (My only gripe is that Fly Away wasn't released in time for Christmas presents!)

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful relaxing album, 12 Jan 2010
Becky M (North Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fly Away (Audio CD)
This is the girls' third album, and though the music this time has moved away from their more classical roots, this album offers a stunning selection of truly relaxing musical offerings. The voices of Daisy, Melanie, Laura and Charlotte have clearly further developed as they have grown up and they simply compliment the style of music they have chosen here. I would describe Fly Away as the ideal chilling out album; I love nothing more than relaxing in the bath, with candles and listening to the sound of All Angels, and this is the ultimate bath playlist to me! If you appreciate listening to talented, classically trained females then definitely give All Angels' Fly Away a go, and you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A WONDERFUL ADORABLE CLASSIC..., 4 Jan 2012
C. Bellegarrigue (El Salvador) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fly Away (Audio CD)
What a wonderful album; for a disc which was made to have an experimental material, for me THIS WONDERFUL JEWEL PASSED THE TEST!!!; beautiful classic American songs, from the precious SEND IN THE CLOWNS (One of the Highlights of the cd), the "Mexican Flavoured" CUCURRUCUCU, PALOMA (This is my favorite one, not only because I'm an Spanish-parlant; the pronunciation, the Harmonies and the guitar are simply exquisite!), The magic of SIMPLE GIFTS (Made with only their angelical voices, gorgeous!!), The very cute I DREAM OF JEANNIE WITH THE LIGHT BROWN HAIR (Another favorite, very cute and romantic one), The Glorious Gospel FLY AWAY (The Harlem Chorus gave a nice touch to the song) and the Fantastic MEDLEY: I LOVES YOU PORGY/SUMMERTIME, very tenderly and nostalgic, one of the best medleys I've heard in my life...BUY IT! BUY IT! BUY IT!! This fantastic cd is going to be a CLASSIC!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 27 Nov 2010
Mole "Mole" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Fly Away (Audio CD)
This a really good album, a bit different to their previous work, but still very enjoyable. The tracks are a mix of rather more secular work when compared to the hymns and liturgical offerings of the first 2 albums. However, they bring the same clear voices and close harmony to the music, which makes it such a delightful work.

This is one that will help you relax and let the cares of the world go by.

5.0 out of 5 stars Angels FANTASTIC, 1 Mar 2010
AD "AD" (Lakewood, Colorado USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fly Away (Audio CD)
This is agreat album highlighting the great versatility of this group. Totally Angelic with excellent songs showing off their fantastic harmony. I truly believe they and Hayley Westenra have the most beautiful voices and vocal ability in the world. This album is technically well done with good mixing and spacing. I'd recomment it highly for anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ian's review, 13 Feb 2010
Ian J. R. Johnson (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fly Away (Audio CD)
I love harmony singing, whether it is all male or all ladies or a mixed choir. These four ladies are a delight to listen to. As an accused "male chauvinous pig" it would seem to me that they are a delight to see, also!

5.0 out of 5 stars Angel voices, 6 Feb 2010
L. Beekar (Abingdon, Oxon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fly Away (Audio CD)
This album, as their previous albums, is beautiful. It isn't earth shattering and
if you are looking for something different - don't go for it. But if you want lovely voices singing sweet harmony - you will enjoy it. Another thing for me was that they must be the only singers who could make me like a Nora Jones song - I am soooooooooo bored with her music and her voice - but their version of Fly Away sounds so much fresher and less contrived. Really good relaxing get away from it all music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not quite so angelic, 21 Jan 2010
J. Harvey (Surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fly Away (Audio CD)
Having listened to the music for another week, I have changed my rating from four stars to five, and amended the following review.
At first, I was a little disappointed that the rich "angelic" blend of voices so characteristic of All Angels' previous albums was not quite so evident in this album. More prominence is given to individual voices this time, but on reflection I think my initial criticism was undeserved. Some of the solo passages are quite stunning, and there is still plenty of exquisite harmony. Simple Gifts is an outstanding example of sustained harmony a capella. Some tracks are more appealing to me than others, but there isn't a single one that I would want to skip when listening to the album. I hope that classical sacred music does not totally disappear from their repertoire; they do it so well and with a name like "All Angels", one has certain expectations! Anyone who has heard their previous performances will know how well these girls can sing. Fly Away is not just more of the same. It is different - enjoy it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›