on 22 April 2013
Arrived really quickly, very well packed, and really simple to set up and take down.

The lights and the light tent produce very even light on and around the product, I test each lighting set up first with a light meter - perfect for photographing shiny/reflective materials/products as you avoid reflections of your studio set up or even yourself!

I've used this for a specific project for a magazine which has required long days over a period of more than a week. The lights manage heat extremely well, they barely get hot with continued use. Indeed, the bulbs are cool enough to be hand removed within seconds of being switched off. Being continuous lighting and working with challenging reflections has allowed me to see the reflections and place flags and diffusors wherever I need them to get the best possible shot before taking. This a huge advantage in workflow and time spent over using studio strobes, which are often over powered for the purpose.

There is a slight fall off from the 5400k, this can drop down to 4,500k or slightly less but nothing that cannot easily be corrected in post production, or whilst shooting if shooting tethered, as I do. Colour balance is pretty good too and requires only a slight tweek, I always use a colour balancing card.

Light stands are well made, the whole kit is well made, and robust. I have been impressed by the images I've captured better still, the magazine are impressed and want even more than we had first agreed, so definitely a win for me! Proof is in the pudding, as they say.

This set up has worked for me so I would highly recommend the PhotoSEL kit.
on 23 October 2012
I can find no fault with this item, except maybe I'll never get the tent back in it's bag again! Everything is well made and the light produced is superb - I wouldn't be without it.
on 15 December 2013
I read the other reviews and thought, ok, let's give it a go as I've been searching for ages for a kit like this. So,once the item arrived in good time I tore my way through the packaging gently of course, but was eager to see if this was going to be what I was expecting. I was so excited to set it all up, ready to start taking photos of our jewellery for our e-commerce website and I could not believe how fabulous the pics were. I have some really bling jewellery and once the lights had been altered correctly, I couldn't believe how even the shadows dispersed from the products and sometimes, I only needed one light to get the picture. The tripod is a little stiff when pulling out the feet, but I may have to loosen the screws or maybe over time of use, they will loosen up a bit.

I love the background colours, I haven't yet tackled to put the pod back into its bag as I'm still using it. If I can put a reflector shield away, I'm sure I can put this away too.

A must buy, even my twin sister was blown away by the images and I used my android S3 to take them...and she was laughing as I was cheering after taking each pic. It was actually a pressie from my husband, he just paid for it, lol. I was racking my head as to what I needed and it was a very good choice indeed!

VINE VOICEon 27 July 2014
Lights are well made, strong and sturdy, but not bright enough or tall enough. The tent comes packed in a very small flat circular bag, and it hit me in the face as I unzipped the bag, leaping out like a freshly released airbag, except with a metal frame. The tent is very creased, although I suppose this would get better if it was left assembled all the time. Or you could, God forbid - iron it every time.

The backdrops would need ironing too. I didn't think they were of very good quality. The description of 'velvet' is pushing it a bit - they are thin and crackly, synthetic backed with a slight nap on one side which is non reflective, but I wouldn't personally describe this as velvet.

Packing the tent back into the bag was an absolue nightmare - funny if it hadn't been so annoying. There were no instructions. Nothing worked - it was like wrestling a live and slippery animal. As soon as I got one side tucked in, the other side popped out, and as for getting it folded down small enough to get back into the bag... I was on the point of returning it fully assembled and in a bigger box. I asked the community for help and was directed to an instructional video on Youtube - so I obviously wasn't the only one having trouble.

Even then it took a while to master, though the video made it look easy. I was afraid to use too much force as I was afraid of breaking the metal, but in the end I had to get tough with it and use brute force. I don't think I got it quite right, but at least the darn thing was back in the bag. The guy on the video says it's a fantastic piece of kit - I beg to differ.

I sent it back - who needs all that hassle each time unless you have the space to leave it set up permanently - but mostly because I was actually getting better results without it. Warning to anyone else - hold the bag at arm's length when opening unless you want a whack on the nose. The three stars are for the lights.
on 18 December 2013
The tent is the usual type and suffers that the coloured background cloths are a bit creased (I solved this by buying some A2 size art card in pastel colours and cutting them to fit.)
The lamps are excellent and give good daylight illumination. The packaging is very robust and everything arrived in perfect state. Delivery was extremely prompt and the whole kit is well with buying.
This kit comprises a 60 x 60cm popup lighting tent, white, black, blue and red back-drops, and a couple of very decent 26 - 40cm lighting stands, decent quality reflectors, and 26w bulbs, producing a good quality light.

This is a perfect it for small items, we use it for small bits of equipment and sensors, and get very good results.

If you need larger, and are prepared to spend a bit more, I also bought the PPC156 Studio Lighting kit with comes with an 80 x 80cm tent.

On the folding front, you have to be pretty strong armed about it, in order to get it back into the supplied bag ... but at least there is plenty of tension in the material, and if I know that I need the tent in advance, I will pop it up 24 hours in advance, and some of the creases drop out.
on 10 May 2014
I urgently needed some form of desk top studio lighting set up for a first time shoot of this sort. Not wanting to spends mega bucks I read the reviews on several and went for this. AWESOME! money well spent. The results are as good as any pro shots I have seen..mind you I am using a Canon 5d3 and a L class macro lens an with the addition of a little photoshop, I am blown away. I think the replacement bulbs are pricey and the lip around the tent could do with being a bit smaller but if you are considering this, dont hesitate...and it arrived next day!!
on 8 April 2014
The tent and inserts are easy to use but impossible to put back in their original case!
The lights are good quality and used together with the tent they gave excellent results for my application.
Only comment I would make is that it would be useful if the lights could be mounted horizontally on the stand as this would make them lower and provide more flexibility in use.
Nevertheless I rate this product highly
on 26 March 2015
One of the bulbs was not working - straight out of the box, it wasn't smashed or visibly damaged, it just didn't work. I had a deadline to keep to so could not return it and could not find a similar bulb anywhere so had to carry on with one light. Will not be buying from PhotoSEL again.
on 11 January 2016
Excellent set, easy to assemble and with great results. A little difficult to figure out how to refold the pop-up tent, but there are youtube videos to help. The lamps are a little top heavy but should be fine if not moved too often.