5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent high tech boot
Published on 20 Jun 2012 by J. P. Horn

1.0 out of 5 stars Great boot, weak eyelets
Excellent grip on all terrains, warm and about as comfortable as a B2 boot can be, and is surprisingly light for a solid and heavy looking boot.

Fits crampons well enough for average winter mountaineering but you wouldn't want to be front pointing up steep ice with them - a bit too much flex.

A very nice boot, but one serious flaw - the eyelets...
Published 22 months ago by Paul Nicholson

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent high tech boot, 20 Jun 2012
J. P. Horn "mifareman" (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Berghaus Men's Kibo GTX Waterproof Boot (Apparel)
My old boots have had it, a weeks break in the lake district on the horizon, need to find a new pair! So I opt for these beauties. Boy are these the best things I have ever walked in (apart from some silk underwear, but that's another story). I didn't do what all the experts tell you to do, that is, break the boots in with smaller walks first and build up, oh no, straight up Great Gable in the Lake district, straight out of the box! They were simply amazing, the confidence you feel in just ploughing across loose shale and rocks is great. The grip on wet surfaces was also impressive and I can vouch for them being waterproof too! I would not advise doing what I did though as I could feel the pressure of the high back part of the boot pressing on my lower calf above my ankle toward the end of the hike. This is down to them being new, they do soften and do need a bit of breaking in. The following day I did a lower level hike in a different pair of walking shoes. Did another biggy the day after, wore these again and it was sheer bliss. I suffer from an arthritic toe ball joint which does not take too kindly to lots of movement over great distances, but in these fellas, with them being quite solid, and surprisingly light, the after effects of a long hike almost all but disappeared. Can't praise these boots high enough, brilliant.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great boot, weak eyelets, 12 Feb 2013
Paul Nicholson (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Berghaus Men's Kibo GTX Waterproof Boot (Apparel)

A very nice boot, but one serious flaw - the eyelets. After about 40 hours use, one broke and from other reviews on here, I'm expecting more to break. This is surprising because it is in all other respects a well made boot. Wish I could give it the 5 stars it should deserve but it is fatally flawed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid boot, good value, 18 April 2013
Very good for the money. Quite stiff, as they should be for crampon use, but seem OK to walk in as they have a good 'roll' - though I haven't tried them on a major outing yet. Substantial but not overly heavy. A little difficult to get the lacing right; the bottom section does lock-off, but not as positive a lock system as on some others such as Salomon - but Salomon no longer seem to make a boot of this grade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Proper stompers!, 25 Oct 2012
This review is from: Berghaus Men's Kibo GTX Waterproof Boot (Apparel)
These boots are quite extreme if you've only worn standard hiking boots before. First thing you notice is how rigid they are, its impossible to bend them. When I first put them on I got a strange feeling of invincibility in an odd way, as you feel confident that no harm could ever come to your feet wearing them. Once you get stomping up the fells you soon realise that they are gonna get you where you want to go and nothing is gonna stop you. They are made Extremely well only modern technology could manufacture anything like these. I agree with the guy that said after first try to break em in up great gable they do hurt the back of your ankles next day but only once and then no more issues, I learn this on Skiddaw first time wore them. The only issue is the insoles are not good, too hard so you will definitely need to buy some. I got some Sorbothane Insoles I think they are about 13 or 14 quid on Amazon but required.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, 29 Dec 2012
They are exactly what I wanted in a mountain shoe and the fit is perfect and the service was brillaint

4.0 out of 5 stars Two Right Foot Boots, 8 Jun 2012
This review is from: Berghaus Men's Kibo GTX Waterproof Boot (Apparel)
I got these boots for a present for my dad. They were delivered promptly and all looked good until I opened the box...there were 2 right foot boots in the box! On the upside the boots looked very sturdy and I'm sure they would've been a brilliant present. Might consider a size up though..

2.0 out of 5 stars Good boot. Let down by cheap eyelets, 28 Nov 2012
This review is from: Berghaus Men's Kibo GTX Waterproof Boot (Apparel)
These boots are great for weight, fit and comfort. Probably the best B2 I've owned it that respect.
However, couple of winter walk/climbs in the highlands where I live and an eyelet snapped. Then another. Then another. Such a shame because I love them otherwise.
Don't know why Berghaus wouldn't pick up this flaw on testing. Maybe poor quality control in China where they're made.
My Scarpa B2 and B3 boots, although a bit heavier, have lasted far better. Won't be buying another Berghaus boot I'm afraid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good high standard boot, 2 Dec 2011
Ms. Hazel Fisher "Hazie B" (Preston, Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
These are an excellent pair of high quality walking boots. Unfortunately they didn't fit my husband, and where to tight with just a normal sock.
So would suggest to others to get the next size up. Will definately invest in a pair in the future.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good solid boot, 28 Jan 2013
I struggle to find good strong, long lasting boots for work at an acceptable price. As these are a crampon style boot they appear to be very strong, as far as how long they will last, who knows! These boots are very comfortable with the right socks and a fair price at £140, however, as they seem very good and it's taken ages to find the right boots this time round, I thought i'd buy a second pair to find amazon had increased the price to £188!! Needless to say the second pair DIDN'T come from amazon!! This is the main reason for the 3/5, otherwise it would have been 4/5.

4.0 out of 5 stars Broke within 15 min wearing them, 23 Aug 2011
This review is from: Berghaus Men's Kibo GTX Waterproof Boot (Apparel)
They were delivered within a few days , took them out of the Box , they looked great ,
I used them the next day and within 15 min one of the eyes where you lace up the boot came away from the boot
I contacted the seller and they said to send them back to them so they could review the problem
Waiting for them now to make a decision re replacement ......

Hopefully it was a once off

Berghaus Men's Kibo GTX Waterproof Boot