5.0 out of 5 stars God of Walking Boots
Boots arrived and I took them straight out on a 15 mile hilly walk. Like wearing slippers. Have since done a very wet 6 hour walk and my socks were bone dry. I understand that these are Sir Chris Bonington's boot of choice - now I know why. Buy them, wear them, wash them in fresh water, cover them in Nikwax Aqueous wax and they will last years.
Published on 31 Oct 2011 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor longevity
I bought these boots less than a year ago, for general walking, with the occasional hill. As a warden on a nature reserve, the need for good quality, waterproof boots is pretty high.
At first, these boots were excellent. Extremely comfortable and waterproof, right out of the box.

However, after a few months I noticed that the soles were wearing thin...
Published on 16 Aug 2010 by llendorin

5.0 out of 5 stars God of Walking Boots, 31 Oct 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars Good boots, 19 Nov 2011
These are my second pair of these boots; delivery was very prompt.
As always happens with modern leather, the old ones have cracked at the bending point and now started to separate from the sole at the same point (due I believe to the use of aggressive tanning techniques to save money in the tanneries). Also, they soon show themselves not to be really waterproof in wet grass, but no worse than any other brand in this respect. They have given me about two years of use 5 or 6 days a week and the treads are wearing out now.
Having said all this, these boots are supremely comfortable, and at internet prices are a good buy for the use I get out of them. With the possible exception of a long-discontinued Salomon boot, these are definitely the least bad of the modern crop of cheaply made boots that I have tried over the years. Hence the repeat buy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor longevity, 16 Aug 2010

However, after a few months I noticed that the soles were wearing thin... seriously. There's so little tread left, you wouldn't believe. The soles definitely do not have the wear that you'd have from a Vibram sole.

Also, the leather on my boots has now split, where the boots flex, rending them useless.

I would have expected more from a name like Berghaus. For the prices you pay, you'd expect your boots to last for more than 10 months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Berghaus Men's Explorer Ridge Hiking Boot, 31 May 2012
Very good quality. Very light to wear. Have now owned boots for 4 weeks and have worn them every work day. Soles are quite hard in composition, and can tend to be a little slippery when wet on stone and wood. That said, the soles have shown very little wear over the 100km + I've walked with them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Faulty Product, 14 April 2011
I highly rate Berghaus walking boots and was very impressed by this product. However after only 7 months one of them has split on the leather upper. I contacted Amazon who stated that as they were purchased over 30 days beforehand I should contact the manufacturer, Berghaus. This I did to be informed that Amazon are at fault and should deal with this directly. I contacted Amazon who again stated I needed to speak to Berghaus. This I did and continue to go round in circles!
Please one of you contact me directly with a POSITIVE response. This is not the first time Amazon have failed to resolve a faulty product issue I have had with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, 7 Feb 2012
ordered these boots as thought good price for gortex product,comfortable from 1st wear,flexible and gripped very well kept feet very warm and dry though time will tell how long they will last,fits well and sized to wear a thick sock so very happy with boot,would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Berghaus Explorer Ridge Boots, 29 Aug 2011
D. Bainbridge - See all my reviews
These boots are superb in quality and comfort.
Two days after receiving them I undertook some very tough walking in the Peak district over a 5 day period in all weather conditions, the boots were dry and comfortable with not a blister to be seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Hiking Boot, 13 Jan 2012
Bought these for my husband who was well impressed. Good fit, comfortable and look smart. Excellent quality. The mix of leather and then fabric at the ankle make them a comfortable fit. Ideal hill walking boot.

1.0 out of 5 stars dangerously slippy, 3 Nov 2013
I bought this boots to do the Hadrian's Wall walk, and although I did not give them enough time to wear in they were pretty comfortable, other than a couple of blisters on the right foot.
The real issue is the grip, it's non existent in the wet, I could not believe have slippery they were, I slipped and fell twice on wet rocks, not fun and quite dangerous. Hadrian's Wall is not a challenging hike, other than distance, but even going up and down the few inclines along the walk these boots felt unsafe.
I live in London and wear these to work and even walking along the roads I am conscience of keeping off wet leaves and manhole covers etc, they just don't feel secure.
I can't comment on how good they are in the wet as I have not tested that aspect of the boot yet.
I can only give these boots one star due to comfort.
Until they change the sole and grip of these boots I would not buy again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Waterproof slippers, 26 Aug 2011
R. MEPHAM "Plumbob" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Berghaus Men's Explorer Ridge Hiking Boot (Apparel)
Well I trudged across Dartmoor in these a few weeks ago and I am more than pleased with them, comfortable from the off and waterproof unless of course you stand in something to deep. They are lightweight of good quality and have good grip, I am trying to find negatives but it's difficult, I would say that if your walking in dry weather and don't need ankle support then trail shoes maybe better unless it's winter time and boots are preferable due to cold.

Buy them you won't regret it!