Size: 8 UK|Colour: Brown|Change
Price:£110.00 - £120.00

on 31 October 2011
Boots arrived and I took them straight out on a 15 mile hilly walk. Like wearing slippers. Have since done a very wet 6 hour walk and my socks were bone dry. I understand that these are Sir Chris Bonington's boot of choice - now I know why. Buy them, wear them, wash them in fresh water, cover them in Nikwax Aqueous wax and they will last years.
on 19 November 2011
These are my second pair of these boots; delivery was very prompt.
As always happens with modern leather, the old ones have cracked at the bending point and now started to separate from the sole at the same point (due I believe to the use of aggressive tanning techniques to save money in the tanneries). Also, they soon show themselves not to be really waterproof in wet grass, but no worse than any other brand in this respect. They have given me about two years of use 5 or 6 days a week and the treads are wearing out now.
Having said all this, these boots are supremely comfortable, and at internet prices are a good buy for the use I get out of them. With the possible exception of a long-discontinued Salomon boot, these are definitely the least bad of the modern crop of cheaply made boots that I have tried over the years. Hence the repeat buy.
on 16 August 2010
I bought these boots less than a year ago, for general walking, with the occasional hill. As a warden on a nature reserve, the need for good quality, waterproof boots is pretty high.
At first, these boots were excellent. Extremely comfortable and waterproof, right out of the box.

However, after a few months I noticed that the soles were wearing thin... seriously. There's so little tread left, you wouldn't believe. The soles definitely do not have the wear that you'd have from a Vibram sole.

Also, the leather on my boots has now split, where the boots flex, rending them useless.

I would have expected more from a name like Berghaus. For the prices you pay, you'd expect your boots to last for more than 10 months.
1414 comments|64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 May 2012
Very good quality. Very light to wear. Have now owned boots for 4 weeks and have worn them every work day. Soles are quite hard in composition, and can tend to be a little slippery when wet on stone and wood. That said, the soles have shown very little wear over the 100km + I've walked with them.
on 29 August 2011
These boots are superb in quality and comfort.
Two days after receiving them I undertook some very tough walking in the Peak district over a 5 day period in all weather conditions, the boots were dry and comfortable with not a blister to be seen.
on 14 April 2011
I highly rate Berghaus walking boots and was very impressed by this product. However after only 7 months one of them has split on the leather upper. I contacted Amazon who stated that as they were purchased over 30 days beforehand I should contact the manufacturer, Berghaus. This I did to be informed that Amazon are at fault and should deal with this directly. I contacted Amazon who again stated I needed to speak to Berghaus. This I did and continue to go round in circles!
Please one of you contact me directly with a POSITIVE response. This is not the first time Amazon have failed to resolve a faulty product issue I have had with them.
77 comments|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 June 2013
Yes these are comfy boots straight out of the box, so are my carpet slippers but I wouldn't dream of going hiking in them!
A boot's primary purpose is to afford the wearer better grip, traction and support than that provided by a shoe or trainer.
I have given these boots a good trial during the last 8 months (1200+ miles) in all conditions and across all terrains and can report that they afford the poorest grip and traction of any boot that I have ever owned. The fault lies with the tread design which lacks any proper cross cut deep lug grip. In damp or wet conditions these boots are potentially lethal and I have never before skidded or slipped so much in any other boot (or shoe!)
I really wanted to like these boots but have had to reluctantly conclude that they are not fit for purpose.
on 23 August 2014
In all respects except one, these boots are very good. They are comfortable, repel water well, and, if not for "the problem", would represent exceptionally good value for money. The problem is the lack of grip. While wearing these boots on any wet/damp surface I was constantly aware of them slipping (or feeling like they were about to slip). It is a really unsettling sensation - especially while hiking (when you need to be especially confident that your footwear isn't going to let you down). I don't know what, precisely, the soles are made of but it is utterly unsuitable. NB. I bought these boots from another retailer (not from/via Amazon) but they are EXACTLY this make and model (Berghaus Men's Explorer Ridge Hiking Boot in brown).
on 29 June 2011
This boot is probably the best boot I have had, when you take into consideration, comfort, build, longevity and materials for a very reasonable price.
I have been wearing mine for 3 yrs, nearly everyday, so you can imagine the amount of miles covered, walking the dog and for fitness, yes eventually the leather split on the sides, but only after severe punishment and constant soakings. If you look after the boots with dubbing or waterproofing conditioners they keep your feet dry, with excellent comfort.
As for the sole, no it's not vibram and yes vibram lasts longer, but at a considrable differenc in price....so if you want a quality boot, that keeps you dry and with care like anything, lasts well, then this is the boot I would recommend...lol..in fact I always have one pair new as a spare in case they decide to stop making them.
on 26 August 2011
Well I trudged across Dartmoor in these a few weeks ago and I am more than pleased with them, comfortable from the off and waterproof unless of course you stand in something to deep. They are lightweight of good quality and have good grip, I am trying to find negatives but it's difficult, I would say that if your walking in dry weather and don't need ankle support then trail shoes maybe better unless it's winter time and boots are preferable due to cold.

Buy them you won't regret it!