5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific album which has been woefully underpromoted
Published on 14 Dec 2010 by Michelle

3.0 out of 5 stars OVER-PRODUCED COWELL
Published on 22 July 2011 by Philip Cutler

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific album which has been woefully underpromoted, 14 Dec 2010
Michelle (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wide Awake (Audio CD)
This is such a fantastic album I'm almost mystified it hasn't sold anywhere near as well as it deserves to ... until I remind myself how little promotion it's received. "Always gonna be an uphill battle" - how true, poor lad! Yes, this new sound is a different side to Joe than the one we were familiar with on XF last year but it also shows how versatile he is. The U-turn in musical style was a big risk but it could have paid off had Joe had the amount of 'smart' promotion that Olly Murs had. Lucky Olly being co-signed with Epic, who actually know how to market their artists effectively.

Added to the lack of timely promotion (including the debilitating lack of airplay for his single releases), the biggest complaint from many who voted for Joe last year on XF seems to be that his voice is lost in the overproduction of this album. Unfortunately, the samples (or 'snippets' as a previous reviewer referred to them) on Amazon don't do the album justice and when I first heard them, I feared his gorgeous voice would be submerged in the synthesised sound on almost every track. Being a big fan of Joe's, however, I was always going to support him by buying his music. What a difference when you hear the album tracks in full. For example, I thought I would hate 'Love Is War' as the sample on Amazon sounded nothing like him. In full, you can clearly hear his voice in the verses and I really like the track now. In fact, there is no track I skip over (even the Climb, while still my least favourite!). There is only one other album in my collection that gets the same complete hearing each time I play it. There is something for everyone on it, including a couple of ballads. For instance, for those who particularly loved his vocals on XF, 'Superman' is beautiful and has remained my favourite track. Another of my favourites is the cheeky, quirky 'Real Late Starter' which never fails to put a smile on my face. Have also played the album countless times and am still not sick of it! It's fun, upbeat and reflects the happy-natured, 19-year-old Joe perfectly.

Please please keep an open mind, put aside any possible prejudices about the XF association (which has been a double-edged sword for Joe anyway) and you might just find that this uplifting album becomes one of your favourites. Admittedly, this album doesn't fully showcase his amazing vocals (but neither are they completely disguised, which is the complaint from some who have only heard the samples) but it is still a fantastic album in so many ways. I firmly believe that Joe has so much more to offer, so it would be extremely sad if he were written off before he's even had a proper chance to get underway in the music business. Having seen him perform live many times, his vocals (and increasingly confident performances) never cease to impress me. If he gets the chance to make a second album, I'm hoping it will contain a couple of his acoustic performances to showcase that incredible voice. In the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy Joe's debut offering, which is by far the most played album in my collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wide Awake! Yes I'm Wide Awake!!, 14 Aug 2011
Anita "Annie" (Brentwood, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wide Awake (Audio CD)
This album did not showcase Joe in a way that his audience would have expected, more as his promoters wished.

I was thrilled to see him taken up on the film Price Caspian, appalled to see all that happened next.

I was so pleased to see him taken up by POP STAR TO OPERA STAR & his subsequent performances.

Joe has great potential to go in far more directions than the album suggests.

With all of this I loved this album. It was extremely under promoted unlike Simon's Olly Murs.

I CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR MORE!! I AM SURE THAT IN SPITE OF WHAT HAPPENED TO JOE AFTER THE X-FACTOR, WE WILL SEE MORE OF THIS VERY TALENTED YOUNG MAN!!

LOOK OUT FOR HIS NEXT GREAT ALBUM!! WELL DONE JOE!!

For those who are prejudiced by the little promotion given, buy & listen you will change your mind!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD, 4 Jan 2011
This review is from: Wide Awake (Audio CD)
This is an excellent CD by Joe. He proves he has the voice to sing different tracks in varying scales including very high pitch. Expected to hear more slow tracks, but was surprised that most of the tracks are very fast moving and catchy songs. Once heard a few times, you cannot stop singing them. Really good buy and would recommend to anyone who likes this type of catchy, commercial music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 9 Nov 2011
This review is from: Wide Awake (Audio CD)
I really love Joe McElderry's voice and the various tracks on this CD for the most part show it off. I have my favourites of course but I don't skip any while it's on in the car!

I'd love him to be successful but not necessarily as a pop singer - having appreciated him on Popstar to Opera Star, I like to see him in musical theatre.

Keep going Joe!

3.0 out of 5 stars OVER-PRODUCED COWELL, 22 July 2011
Philip Cutler - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wide Awake (Audio CD)
Well, firstly, I believe Joe has a superb voice. He CAN sing and has a lot of talent. However,in my opinion, this album doesn't do his voice or his talent justice. It's a typical Simon Cowell, over-produced, electronic, X-Factor, record. We know that Joe isn't a singer/songwriter..so what? There are hundreds of singers out there who don't write their own stuff. This being the case, why weren't better songs chosen for this debut album? Joe, you are worth much better than this album.

3.0 out of 5 stars Debut album, 17 Jun 2011
This review is from: Wide Awake (Audio CD)
Joe was great on X Factor. The cd has about 3 great songs on it, but most of the songs are average. Thought joe's voice was fabulous but I dont think this cd shows him as the same. If you are a fan, do buy it anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing album!!!!!!, 30 April 2011
Roxy (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wide Awake (Audio CD)
I absolutely LOVE this album. Ok, I was smitten with Joe as soon as he set foot on the stage at the XF auditions and after listening to this album, I fell all over again. I have pretty eclectic taste in music but I do like to buy albums I can sing to. This album ticks all the boxes - ballads - Superman and Wake me up, some terrific dance songs - Real late starter, Farenheit, Until the stars run out and some seriously sexy songs Farenheit (I can get hot and bothered just imagining him singing it!) Where was I! Oh, and Love is war. If I am not playing it then I am singing it! Buy it, get the headphones on and enjoy! His voice is AMAZING!!!! I don't know how he hits those high notes but there's a long one near the end of Farenheit that gives me goosebumps. Ignore the snippets BUY IT! Joe, DO NOT BE DISCORAGED. You deserve to be successful.

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't make justice to Joe's choice, 13 Nov 2010
This review is from: Wide Awake (Audio CD)
I have to agree with the comments that highlight how commercial this album is: maybe the hype grew too much and expectations were difficult to match, but I would have loved to hear Joe's pure voice hit high notes and give me shivers, unfortunately that didn't happen. Shame on those who put together such a commercialized, x-factor-like album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joe Mcelderry CD, 5 April 2013
This review is from: Wide Awake (Audio CD)
Brilliant album, my daughter is obsessed and so in love with Joe, what a lovely voice worth every penny and not expensive!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 5 April 2013
This review is from: Wide Awake (Audio CD)
This is the best album that joe has done.I absolutely love it. All the songs have great meaning to them

Wide Awake
Wide Awake by Joe McElderry (Audio CD - 2010)