5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun for all the family
Published on 15 July 2012 by Ziggy P

3.0 out of 5 stars Holiday game
It was not quite what I thought, so I did not use it on this holiday. I will save for when all my family goes on holiday togetther.
Published 20 months ago by Tia Maria

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun for all the family, 15 July 2012
We bought this game to keep our kids entertained on long journeys and while abroad, and thought this one would be great as it doesn't take more room than a classic deck of cards. Like other reviewers said, it sounds awfully complicated at first, but after playing a few times, when everyone has become used to the rules and to all the different card categories, it is good fun. One of the best thing about this game is that it is full of twist and turns, so even if a person seems to be winning, in a moment the game can turn around and someone who was hopeless is suddenly in the lead, which is good with younger kids, as they don't feel the game is over for them if they're not doing great. The principle of the game is a 'travel around the world' taking pictures. Players collect cards of the countries they've visited, but things can happen, like illness, stolen luggage and other such inconveniences, that interfere with people's travels. Players can also steal each other's countries. So it's all very active and full of twist and turns, and although it does take all ages a while to get used to it, even younger kids eventually get it. I have a five year old little girl who has played this successfully for over a year. At first we played it with her by putting her in a 'team' with an adult or older sibling, so she could learn, but she now can play by herself as a full player, and she does like the game. Would definitely recommend as a perfect travel game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive, 16 Sep 2011
My boyfriend and I were going travelling for a couple of months and I wanted to buy a new travel game that would keep us entertained occasionally over a bottle of wine in the evening. I was planning on buying Monopoly or Scrabble, but I came across this game by accident and was convinced by the positive reviews. I'm so glad. For the two months we were away we played this practically every night. On the nights we didn't because, heaven forbid, we ended up out late enjoying the places we were travelling to, we said sadly as we got into bed "Oh, we didn't get to play Backpacker tonight!" If you're looking for something a bit different to play and you don't mind spending an hour at the beginning learning how to play it (for which there are very clear instructions so even the learning process is enjoyable) then this is definitely worth it.

It's also very good quality - it went round the world with us and whilst the box is now a little battered all the cards are still in near-perfect condition and just needed a bit of a wipe down to remove all the sun cream snd wine that had been stuck to them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not as complicated as all that., 9 April 2013
I feel like I have been playing a different game to many reviewers if not all other reviewers. They all claim that this is a complicated game but to me, although there is a lot of depth to winning strategies, the rules couldn't be easier to follow.

You have a hand of 5 cards that simulate a round the world trip. the aim of the game is to score points by playing country cards (each with a different points value) in front of you.
Every turn you draw and play a card or "go home" to bank the points that you have accumulated. As well as the country cards there are several other types of cards that you can play to affect the game and screw over other players.
The rules for each of these are explained on the cards themselves.
The only other rule is that you can't "go home" and score if you have a gray card in your hand these cards do bad things to you when you play them.

This game is a lot of fun even with only two players. It has kept me entertained for hours on long journeys.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT!, 7 Nov 2010
C. Rackstraw (UK) - See all my reviews
My children were taught this game by their cousins and then taught me - we have all become hooked... Can seem a little complicated at first but as soon as you get the hang of it there are hours and hours of fun to be had

5.0 out of 5 stars different, 10 Sep 2013
I bought this as we were travelling europe for 8 weeks. We learnt it in stages as suggested on the instructions. We had hours of fun and laughs as it is so different from any card game we have played. You can be winning and then it suddenly changes. I am going to buy my children this for christmas for their travels.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game for two players, 19 Aug 2013
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This is a great two player game. There are a lot of rules but these can be very easily picked up if you follow the 3 steps that they recommend in the instructions. This involves playing 3 versions of the game that gradually use more and more of cards, until you end up with the full set. Doing it this way we were playing the full set of rules after 4 rounds which didn't take that long, and we felt that it was easy to do this way and made a lot of sense. We attempted to play the full set if rules straight off, but we had to give up.

My advice is don't give up because of it takes a while to learn, simply follow the steps in the instructions and it will be easy.

Great game.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good game, 21 Jun 2009
Michele Levy (UK) - See all my reviews
On opening the pack it is easy to be put off by the comlexity of the game & the rules - but don't be. Stick with it. Take your time to read the rules & play one round with an 'open' hand. Its a good poratble family game, with older kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't say enough good things about it!!, 21 Sep 2013
Give the instructions a thorough read, and play you first game with the advance cards left out, and crack on!

There seems to be a lot to take in initially but actually after 1 game we had picked it up no problem and could have switched to the advanced game straight away.

It really is a great game, and with plenty happening it doesn't seem it will get boring anytime soon. Was the highlight of our holiday evenings, and I'm not saying that because we had a boring holiday, it's that good!!

5.0 out of 5 stars absorbing and addictive travel game, 3 Jun 2007
K. Whelan "Kevin" (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a brilliant game. Although you have to play it a few times to really get the hang of it once you know what you are doing it is great fun and very absorbing. We were given Backpacker as a Christmas present and haven't stopped playing it since! I think it is most suitable for children of 12+. Our two boys, aged 15 and 17, love it! If you are a family who enjoy competitive games that are fast paced this is definately for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Backpacker: The Ultimate Travel Game, 19 May 2014
This review is from: Backpacker: The Ultimate Travel Game (Toy)
I'm not sure about ultimate, but this game kept us coming back for more all weekend. Works especially well with copious red wine.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›