Format: Vinyl|Change

on 19 February 2013
When I first heard the Eels, I thought, this guy is something else. The lyrics, playful at times and at others they're unbelievably poignant and emotional. The sound of his voice, changing between a harsh growl to a soft sweet tone. The music so beautifully crafted. This album is no exception.

The whole album blew me away. It has so many good songs. I have played it quite a number of times and I still have not become tired of it.
From `The Beginning' to `On my feet' with songs like `Nowadays' with its tremendous lyrics and soft build up. `Unhinged' with its great guitar strumming/riff. And `mansions of los feliz' with it's a catchy tone. I find it hard to fault this album.

The jewel of the album has to be the sombre song `A line in the dirt'. It has lyrics which stir emotions. It builds so gently that you barley notice it. The pianos piercing sound. The guitar and the banjo crossing each other's path. The drums adding oomph. The brass comes in to complete what has to be one of his best songs to date.

It's a melancholy feeling album, but I don't really see what's wrong with that. Some of his best lyrics come from self-pity.

In all its just bloody beautiful. I'm really glad he made it.
Gosh this man is prolific. Sandwiched in between El Hombre Lobo and Tomorrow Morning came this, the "Depressing" album. I actually rather like it, there are some top notch Eels songs on here: Gone Man, End Times, Paradise Blues, Unhinged...what's not to like, Eels fans?
on 2 December 2012
Even if critics may be hard on this one, for Eels fans End Times is another refreshing take on the 'breakup album' concept.
on 30 December 2010
I recently went back to this album after tiring of the most recent Eels release, Tomorrow Morning, which started to feel a bit superficial. I'd initially dismissed End Times as a bit too 'samey' and downbeat but after repeated listening it starts to really grow, a definite slow burner. This is an album you need to be in the mood for, a winter evening or Sunday afternoon listen. A lot of the tracks have the acoustic Daisys/Electro-shock type feel to them, like stand-outs Little Bird, In My Younger Days and Mansions of Los Feliz, but there are a couple of livelier ones thrown in which are equally as good. Though this is the 'heartbreak' album of the trilogy, there is still humour to be found amongst the melancholy. Like with one of my other favourite artists, Sparklehorse, though the subject matter is often dark, it never feels depressing.
on 18 October 2010
I'm a fan of Eels as a rule; seen him play a few times and got the back catalogue, but this is an album full of dull, unmemorable songs. While not terrible, I am literally unable to identify any highlights from this record, which lacks the charm of previous efforts. There are no upbeat songs to act as a foil to the more maudlin efforts and it's for this that the album suffers. Yes it's a heart-break album, but i still want to be emotionally involved and I felt nothing on the 3 spins I was willing to give this record.

If you already love Eels, you may still like this album, but if you're new I suggest trying older albums such as Souljacker or the sublime Blinking Lights.
on 18 January 2010
Hot on the heels of 2009's Hombre Lobo comes an album which will be labelled as one of the finest in the Eels illustrious 14 year career.
Autobiographical in subject matter (no change there then!) melancholy in tone and brim full of wonderful tunes, this album will have you hitting the repeat button for standout tracks - In My Younger Days, Little Bird and Paradise Blues.
Don't delay. Invest now.
on 12 March 2010
the man done ok...after a few listens nothing appears very different from previous recent output - put the last 3 x albums together on ipod shuffle and it sounds almost seamless, very little differentation. if you are a fan, worth having but not a vast amount to be excited about.
on 20 January 2010
Don't get me wrong I love Ol'Mr E! But all the songs on this album are basically the same tune which he has done many times before! Regurgitated chord patterns, same tunes and with the same elements of self pity! Listening to the songs on this album for the first time I feel so familiar with them that I know where their going!
I love his melodies and have seen him many times rocking, acoustic, jazzy and noisy! But now he's just become repetitive and doleful.
Come on Mr E where's your spirit of old? 46 isn't much of an age and recording in your basement can't help matters! But I still luv him! I'm just depressed (as he is) with this new release :(
on 14 February 2016
I got 2 coppies off the vinyl..and they are both bad pressig..with noise on the whole record.
on 17 April 2015