4.0 out of 5 stars Creepy, clever alien abduction mystery-drama
Published on 17 Aug 2010 by Benminx

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth watching with the lights out ...
The Fourth Kind is a creepy film that will certainly result in some viewers having a restless night (particularly around 3.33 am)! So from that perspective the film is a success - it leaves the audience feeling unsettled, disturbed, possibly even scared. Three stars so for being a proficient addition to the niche.

The plot follows psychologist Dr. Abigail...
Published on 18 April 2010 by J. Fryar

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth watching with the lights out ..., 18 April 2010
J. Fryar - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Fourth Kind [DVD] (2009) (DVD)

The plot follows psychologist Dr. Abigail Tyler, who starts to realise that a number of patients with sleep problems seem to be having the same dream or vision. Since the patients are unable or unwilling to remember the details of this vision, the good Doctor decides to use hypnotism to extract any suppressed memories and obligingly records the results on video camera for later study. Needless to say, the uncovered memories are not of happy times ... hence the 'Fourth Kind' alien-abduction tag!

Where TFK is clever is that it has been marketed as a reenactment of actual events that were captured on film and audio tape. What we see then is the occasional juxtaposition of acted movie (with Milla Jovovich as Dr. Tyler) and the real camera and audio footage supposedly taken by Dr. Tyler herself. Although some have said they found this annoying, I personally felt that it added to the film and gave it a slightly more authentic feel. That, in turn, made it creepier.

As to the debate on whether it's real or not ... em, it's a film!

4.0 out of 5 stars Creepy, clever alien abduction mystery-drama, 17 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Fourth Kind [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Milla Jovovich is both a wise choice and a destabilising choice as the actress who plays Dr Abigail Tyler in this alleged reacreation of true events. Why? She does Tyler a lot of favours by giving a very convincing performance, portraying a calm, professional psychologist who's starting to question reality as insane events begin to mount up around her. The film intercuts Jovovich's acted segments with some replays of ostensibly 'real' footage starring the real Tyler during the same events. The clips of Tyler, however, show a much more unsteady-voiced, on-edge character who's clearly already suffering severe self-confidence issues long before Jovovich's version begins to fracture under pressure. I felt that maybe a less self-assured actress who could portray nerves and instability better would have made a more accurate choice.
In showing the events in the isolated Alaskan town where an apparently disproporionate number of people have been vanishing since the '60s, the film-makers are both inviting us to judge whether it's due to the alien abductions that Tyler claims, or whether the spaceman argument is hockum. Not enough alternatives are allowed to be put forward to give a balanced argument, but the film's main purpose is to entertain so that's not surprising. As a result the film-makers don't undermine their central plotline by suggesting that anything other than aliens could be to blame. It's all done very well, with the tension ratcheting up to very high levels, and many creepy freakout moments and unexplained phenomena. Especially impressive are the moments when the 'original' archive footage appears to show some truly hard-to-explain events. However, equally, I found it horrendously morally offensive that they appear to have left in real-life footage of a real killing - this was unacceptable for me in an entertainment thriller as it reeked of tasteless exploitation. However I kept watching, and the film is very impressive and handled believably as the tension ramps up to panic levels and things seem to spin out of control. The climax is very impressive, and there's an interesting dissection of 'is this true or not' afterwards, which I felt both helped and harmed the film's credibility in equal measure. Judge for yourself. It's a creepy and interesting ride.

5.0 out of 5 stars People still think this is based on fact its not even the so called real doctor is an actress., 27 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Fourth Kind [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Both films in lovely HD so aslong as you know how to watch a Blu Ray film on good equipment you wont go wrong

3.0 out of 5 stars ABDUCTION PLUS CHARIOTS OF THE GODS,, 5 Oct 2013
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Fourth Kind [DVD] (2009) (DVD)
In remote Nome Alaska, a psychologist has discovered her patients may be part of a mass alien abduction. She later realizes that she is also a victim of the same. In order to make the movie seem realistic they juxtaposition "actual tapes" into the movie. The acting is good and the movie seems very realistic. Now for the bogus points(possible plot spoilers): The aliens spoke Sumerian. No one on earth knows what the dead language sounded like. Plus the language had so many variations and dialects ... That whole translation stuff was bogus. 2) The tapes? Let's see, abduction, murder, suicide, missing people...I think those tapes would be locked away in an evidence vault as well as using actual tapes would violate all patient-doctor ethical standards. Third, there are no aliens visiting earth. Fourth, we all know aliens abduct people in Mississippi, not Alaska. If you are interested in the astral-religion of Sumeria and of the Bible, may I suggest "On Earth as it is in Heaven, The Cosmic Roots of the Bible" by Michael Ledo. I own the first autographed copy.

Dilmun was actually more advanced than Sumeria and the Akkadians were the real brains behind Sumeria. Most people don't realize those facts, all they know is Sumeria from the 12th Planet nonsense. Apparently they didn't consult a real expert in Sumerian before they made the movie.

If you like reality type movies such as that dog, "Paranormal Activities," this movie may be for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fourth Kind [Blu-ray] Review, 19 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Fourth Kind [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This is a pretty underrated film, i saw it on cable and really enjoyed it, so picked up the blu-ray, you should do the same if you like horror/sci-fi films.

5.0 out of 5 stars TERRIFYING BEYOND BELIEF!!!!, 28 Mar 2011
The Truth "How it is" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Fourth Kind [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I have just sat through what's without doubt the most terrifying and draining ordeal of my life. A dramatisation of a true story - backed up by video evidence used throughout the film, 'The Fourth Kind' is a disturbing account of multiple alien abductions.

I wish I could unwatch this film - but like the sheriff in it said: 'Its hard to cross back over the line from insanity.' This film was truly horrific on many levels. Not only was the story itself upsetting but the way it was made was horrifying too. However, disturbing as it was to see real footage of a man shooting his family, unexplained levitations, and hear alien voices, the film would not have been the same without it.

You simply wouldn't have believed it. So far fetched is the tale; yet the evidence is there. Recorded by a variety of separate sources from the local police to Doctors, and with over 2000 visit to the small Alaskan town by the FBI, one suspects it been recorded by them too. In fact, this small town in Alaska is the FBIs most visited place beating its nearest rival with about 6 times as many visits.

The film is a mish mash of audio recordings, re-enactments and live footage of therapy session that tells of a small town in Alaska with a disturbing record of unsolved disappearances going back to the 1960s. The latest series is taking place right now and Psychologist Dr. Abigail Tyler finds her and her family right in the centre of events.

Suppressed memories return, people vanish and as 'the truth' slowly dawns on the people of Nome, they simply can't accept it. And I understand why. I can't explain what I saw and heard in this film. The ancient languages. The levitations. The screams. The flying saucers. The murders. The sheer terror of the people involved.

This film has left me very uneasy. I watched it alone in my house and it has left me trembling with fear and questioning reality. If you've seen Paranormal activity and like those sort of found footage films, think that but times it by a thousand and throw in the fact that its real footage you're watching.

I have just seen police footage of a flying saucer appear over a house, while the officer cowers beneath it begging for back-ups, giving a blow by blow account of a family being beamed away. I have just seen a man levitate in a therapy session and speak in a language that was last used in 4000BC. I have just seen police footage of a man shooting his wife and child before turning the gun on himself.

How this stuff isn't all over the internet I'll never know - it must have been suppressed or something, because if anyone has a vague, passing interest in UFOs or alien abductions (which I have come to learn the FBI classify as 'a close encounter of the 4th kind') all the video evidence you'll ever need is right here.

And also, finally, how this film got a certificate 15 I'll never know. Someone seriously dropped the ball at the BBFC the day this was rated. This film is a must see - but just don't watch it alone and make sure you lock the doors... although in the end that won't help. Life for me won't ever be the same.

The Blu Ray itself was top quality and I really recommend buying this format over DVD, as you'll really want the Hi-Def to pause and paw over the real life footage - you'll want every single bit of extra clarity you can muster.

And finally a word of warning - if you have kids, don't let them watch this... they'll have nightmares for weeks. Seriously do not let them watch it. It will mess them up for life.

MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT - WARNING - IF YOU WANT TO EXPERIENCE THE SAME KNEE TREMBLING FEAR I DID WHEN I WATCHED THIS FILM, STOP READING NOW!!! MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT - WARNING - IF YOU WANT TO EXPERIENCE THE SAME KNEE TREMBLING FEAR I DID WHEN I WATCHED THIS FILM, STOP READING NOW!!! MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT - WARNING - IF YOU WANT TO EXPERIENCE THE SAME KNEE TREMBLING FEAR I DID WHEN I WATCHED THIS FILM, STOP READING NOW!!! MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT - WARNING - IF YOU WANT TO EXPERIENCE THE SAME KNEE TREMBLING FEAR I DID WHEN I WATCHED THIS FILM, STOP READING NOW!!! MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT - WARNING - IF YOU WANT TO EXPERIENCE THE SAME KNEE TREMBLING FEAR I DID WHEN I WATCHED THIS FILM, STOP READING NOW!!! MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT - WARNING - IF YOU WANT TO EXPERIENCE THE SAME KNEE TREMBLING FEAR I DID WHEN I WATCHED THIS FILM, STOP READING NOW!!! MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT - WARNING - IF YOU WANT TO EXPERIENCE THE SAME KNEE TREMBLING FEAR I DID WHEN I WATCHED THIS FILM, STOP READING NOW!!! MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT - WARNING - IF YOU WANT TO EXPERIENCE THE SAME KNEE TREMBLING FEAR I DID WHEN I WATCHED THIS FILM, STOP READING NOW!!!

Once I had calmed down, phoned a friend for reassurance (I seriously did), and changed into a new set of clean underwear I decided to do a little research on the internet to try and find out more about the Nome, Dr. Tyler and the strange events that took place in this film. I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep that night so it came as a massive relief to find out that it was all nonsense. It wasn't based on truth at all - or at least as much as was made out. There was no Dr. Tyler and the strange disappearances that happened in Nome where put down to drunk locals and an extremely cold winter. The real footage wasn't real and all in all the film was a big fake; one I fell for it hook line and sinker. However, I'm not going to let that change my 5 star score because while I watched this film, I experienced sheer knee trembling fear like I'd never experienced before, and It was a brilliant cinematic experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fourth Kind, 27 Jan 2010
molko (Surrey) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Fourth Kind [DVD] (2009) (DVD)
So the movie starts off with actress Milla Jovovich adressing the audience, she tells us what we are about to see is herself playing the role of Dr. Abigail Campos, what we are about to see is based on true life events and at times we will see and hear the real life footage to back it up. Next we see footage of the real Dr. Campos being interviewed by director Olatunde Osunsanmi, Campos tells how 2 months ago her husband was killed in his sleep. Campos is conviced that aliens are to blame whereas the local police are pointing the finger at the doctor herself. What follows is the story of Dr. Abigail hunting for answers.

I have to admit that at firt that I was sceptical after hearing the plot, I thought that it could definately go either way but after seeing the commercials on TV I was starting to look forward to seeing it. The real life footage that is sometimes shown split screen with the dramatized version is truly harrowing and something i've never seen in a film before. 'The Fourth Kind' has really capitalized on the 'handheld horror' boom, followinf in the footsteps of 'The Blair Witch Project [DVD] [1999]' & 'Cloverfield [DVD] [2007]'. I left the cinema feeling truly frightened which is something I haven't felt from a film for quite a while. Also recognition must be given to Milla Jovovich for carrying the role in this film so well. If you're looking for a good modern horror which isnt just another teen slasher flick, or a horror that will stick with you for a few days then this is definately for you, just give it some time to get going and don't ruin it for yourself by researching it too much online first.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great movie worth watching, 8 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Fourth Kind [DVD] (2009) (DVD)
If you are one of those people who does not get scared very easily, this is the movie for you. Whether you believe in aliens or not doesn't matter, because this movie really adds a creepy realistic touch to the story. The delivery was on time and well packaged. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did =)

SPOILER

Don't read the following if you have yet to watch this movie

Do some research online and you will find that the supposed "Real Footage" is actually all fake; paid actors. The only true thing about this movie is the town, and the fact that around 20 people have disappeared over the last 40 years, and 9 of the bodies were never found. Nevertheless I liked the movie!! It was still scary :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 15 April 2013
A. H. Cowley "Alex H Cowley" (North West England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Fourth Kind [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Gimmicky rubbish which pulls all its punchs. A criminal waste of the tallents of its leading lady, Milla Yovovich. Alternating the recreation of events with interviews of the "real life" participants fatally undermines the film. Without a doubt, the worst alien abduction movie I have ever seen.

1.0 out of 5 stars the fourth kind dvd, 23 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Fourth Kind [DVD] (2009) (DVD)
After reading all the reviews about the DVD The Fourth Kind I bought it and I had to wait and wait for it to pick up... it never did and suddenly it was all over. The end was the actual film where it says what happened to the various people involved.
If you intend buying this, don't, instead buy one which has well known actors, at they will support a weak story.
All in all a total waste of time and money!

The Fourth Kind [Blu-ray]
The Fourth Kind [Blu-ray] by Mia McKenna-Bruce (Blu-ray - 2010)
5.27