Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.64

In this book, pretty much from the very start we catch up with characters from previous books such as Merinus, Callan and their teenage son David, Sherra, Kane and their child, and Cassie whose book regrettably is a while away (according to LL's website, Cassie needs a chance to grow and mature, even though at 19 years of age, she is already the Breeds' legal expert!), and it was great to see the characters from the very early books living their HEAs - at least they have love if not total security.

What we also get IMHO is the best Breeds book that LL has done in a while - possibly because the arrogant and aloof Jonas Wyatt is humbled by his love and devotion for his mate, Rachel, even though when they meet she is pregnant with another man's daughter. I loved how the author was able to explain why and how the lion's instinct, which is so strong in Jonas, does not mean that he automatically wants to kill and be rid of a rival's offspring, but no, he bonds with the baby in Rachel's womb, 'claiming' her, and when she is born, she responds to him as well as, and sometimes even better than to her mother. He is a devoted 'father' even when he and Rachel are not yet a couple, changing nappies and doing night feeds so that his mate and rest and recuperate, which I never would have believed or seen coming. When he 'purred' at the baby during their bonding time in the early hours of the morning...!

I also loved how Rachel was a feisty and independent female lead, totally suited to this stuborn Alpha male, and that whilst she knew that her child needed to be protected, and how important the baby was to the Breeds, she was not only a mother, but a skilled negotiator, a professional businesswoman using her strengths for the best of the Breeds.

The tale itself is simple enough - Rachel is a friend of Merinus', who had found herself pregnant and abandoned by her rich lover, as she was not deemed good enough for his prestigious family or name, stranded in Switzerland, when Merinus helped get her back to the US and offered her the job of Jonas' PA. From the start sparks flew between them, and Jonas did not want her to be working for him or around him, but when her baby is taken prisoner in her own home, and Jonas and the Breeds have to go in to save her, Rachel realises that she and her baby are not safe and agrees to go to Sanctuary. Yes, baddies infiltrate the compound, the estranged father tries to make a claim on the baby, government officials and politicians are working against the Breeds, but the latter rally together, with Leo, Elizabeth and Dane coming over from South Africa when the baby, who has been drugged, needs Breed medical expertise. They are also needed as in Rachel, the 'mating heat' is showing itself differently than in other female Breeds mates...I'm not sure what this means for the rest of the series...

Jonas is surprisingly romantic, which I'd never have thought of him, and he is revealed to be Dane's brother, and Leo and Elizabeth's child, though raised away from them, and it was great to see him getting closer to them (which was not without much chest-beating and 'roaring' from both Jonas and Leo). The actual love scenes between Rachel and Jonas were not that plentiful and happened fairly late in the book, possibly due to the baby's birth and Rachel's recovery, but boy did they scorch! I also liked that there wasn't so much angst between the leads as there has been in some of the previous books, and that Rachel was not too stubborn to realise and admit that she and her baby needed help in the form of Jonas, which meant that the book flowed and there was not so much of the stop/start or will they/won't they stuff we've seen in previous books.

Dane clearly will be getting his own tale soon, and there were several other Breeds characters introduced, and some revisited, and I can see that the fluffy killer cat (can't remember her name, but she's very girly, loves pink fluffy things, make-up and shopping, but is also a lethal Breed warrior) will no doubt get her own tale at some point. From LL's website, she has another 25 Breeds books planned, and I for one can't wait!
on 15 May 2010
Like many others, I was so excited about this book. At last we get to find out which woman tames the notorious Bad Boy of the Breeds, Jonas Whyatt.

Well that woman turned out to be a spoiled brat who refused to listen and was ungrateful for all Jonas did for her. She was judgmental, rude and was not someone who I believed had the Breeds best interest at heart. Rachel was a single mother with a baby, she was so lucky to find a man who loved her and her child from the start, who would give his life to protect her and her child..he loved her so much and yet when something went wrong she immediately got defensive and thought that Jonas would put her child in danger. She had no idea who her mate was and what he believed in.

Aside from that the book left many questions open, the editing was awful (Words forgotten, bad punctuation..) babies levitating out of cots..just terrible. This book was unsatisfactory and I don't think I can continue with a series that really isn't going anywhere and it actually is lacking in passion. Her sex scenes are all the same and I find that her style is repetitive, the author inserts the same three saucy words to titilate. Geez, there is more than one word to describe a certain part of the female anatomy..
on 14 June 2010
I bought this book after seeing other reviews.It is always good to find another author, but I must say I was very disappointed. I may give this author another try.
Need to add to this review, must say I have reread the book and have totally changed my mind.2nd reading and even 3rd reading I found much more enjoyable. Jonas has grown on me and he is quite a charmer in this book.

on 1 July 2010
I tend to read Lora Leigh books out of habit and find my enjoyment of them varies considerably, particularly with the Breed Series. Given other reviews of Lion's Heat I had put off reading it, but was presently surprised when I did. If you like your books to have a strong feel of the Hero's emotions than this delivers. If you like the Hero to recognise and admit his feelings than this delivers; Lion's Heat is all about Rachel accepting her feelings. If you like to hear about other characters from past and future books these can be found although there is not a huge amount of plot. Having said there is not a huge plot, this does mean the story doesn't get bogged down and the character's relationship is straight forward without games being played which can anoy me with Lora Leigh books. An easy Lora Leigh read, rather than one that has psychological, emotional or story depth.
on 1 June 2010
Jonas is a breed who I was keen to read about so when Lion's Heat came out I was jumping for joy. The hype surrounding Jonas in previous books has always had me thinking "oh yeah" but unfortunately I didn't see him in the same light when reading this book. shame really. Mating seems to have calmed him somewhat which I didnt really like but the book does explain why. I would have liked Jonas to be the same Jonas but hey everyone has to change.
It is a good story and I did enjoy it and loved it when he acknowledged his mother (properly) brought tears to my eyes.

Rachel is definitely a good match for Jonas good pairing.
on 3 August 2010
Maybe it's just me, maybe Lora has just built Jonas up too much, this book is up to her usual high standard, but it left me a little disappointed, the master manipulator meets his mate, the breed who is so mysterious, so angry and so alone, I expected more, and what's with the mating heat, lora seems to be toning down the erotica, what in previous books has almost driven the characters to madness, is in this book hardly a factor.
on 8 August 2010
i was sooooooooo looking forward to this book and it was ok, i just expected jonas to be a bit more of an alpha and make his woman submit, i liked the book but im not sure i would read it again. story line is good but not as hot or as intense as some of lora leighs other breed book.some of her other breed books i have read over and over again, slightly dissapointed with this one.
on 5 May 2011
I loved this book. I can't wait until it comes out on Kindle too. I'm glad Jonas found his mate. The books are getting better in that there's more romance. I really felt for Jonas, who is always strong for so many of the breeds without them realising just how much he cares. I also can't wait for Cassie's story.
on 25 April 2013
I have been searching for this book for quite some time. And it is finally here. Thank you, thank you, thank you so much.

God bless and take care